Types of Uterus Removal Surgery
- Total hysterectomy- The uterus and cervix are removed.
- Subtotal hysterectomy- The uterus is removed leaving the cervix in place
- Total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy- The uterus is removed along with the cervix, fallopian tubes, and ovaries.
- Radical hysterectomy- is the uterus and surrounding tissues including the fallopian tubes, part of the vagina, ovaries, lymph glands, and fatty tissue.
Who needs a hysterectomy?
Hysterectomy or uterus removal surgery becomes necessary in case of various gynecological problems related to the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries. Women with the following gynecological problems commonly require hysterectomy:
- Endometriosis- Overgrowth of the inner lining of the uterus that causes heaving bleeding, painful periods, infertility issues, etc.
- Uterine fibroids- It is fibrous muscular projections on the walls of the uterus that cause irregular menstrual cycle, unbearable abdominal cramps, backache, weight gain, etc.
- Uterine prolapse- Due to weakened muscles and ligaments around the uterus can sometimes sag out of position. This can cause heaviness in the pelvic region, urinary problems, etc.
- Hyperplasia- It is a condition wherein there is an abnormal overgrowth of cell or organic tissue of the uterus due to excessive production of progesterone. It causes heavy bleeding and increases the chances of uterine cancer.
- Multiple large ovarian cysts- Presence of fluid-filled sacs or pockets on and inside the walls of the ovaries. Large ovarian cysts cause heavy menstrual bleeding, pain in the pelvis, difficulty in conceiving, etc.
Lesser known facts about hysterectomy
- Approximately 600,000 hysterectomies are performed annually in the United States, and around 20 million American women have had a hysterectomy.
- More than one-third of all women have had a hysterectomy by the time they reach 60.
- 6 in every 100 women aged between 30–49 have had uterus removal surgery in India.
- It is more common in the age group 45–49 years with 11 per 100 women who go through the surgery.
How to prepare for a hysterectomy?
- Gather Information- Have a thorough discussion with your gynecologist, learn everything about the procedure and discover all your options.
- Follow your doctor’s advice on eating, drinking, and bowel preparation before and after the operation.
- Make necessary arrangements for someone to drive you after the procedure.
- Plan ahead for an easier and faster recovery at home.
What to Expect After a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy?
- Vaginal bleeding is common in the first 24 hours after the surgery.
- You may experience tiredness after the operation and it can last for a few weeks. It is important to rest to recover.
- Bloody vaginal discharge is common after the surgery, it will gradually become thinner and lighter over time.
- In case of total hysterectomy when both ovaries are also removed, you may experience symptoms of menopause, including hot flashes, night sweats, and vaginal dryness. If necessary, the physician may recommend hormone replacement therapy to help relieve discomfort.
- The patient may have a sense of loss that causes depression, decreased appetite, concentration, and sleep. These emotions are common and will diminish over time. If they persist or significantly disrupt life, patients are encouraged to talk with the physician or a supportive care provider, such as a psychologist.
- laparoscopic hysterectomy helps patients to recover after 3-4 weeks after the surgery.
Why choose pristyn care for hysterectomy in Guwahati?
Pristyn Care provides the best treatments, doctors, and hospitals for most elective surgeries. Patients can expect comprehensive care and follow-up checkups for assured recovery. Pristyn Care in Guwahati offers a safe advanced laparoscopic hysterectomy. The laparoscopy-based hysterectomy is a modern procedure that removes the uterus entirely or partially in a safe manner. Hence, a Hysterectomy performed by our professional surgeons is minimally invasive, painless, and has minimal risks. So, if you are looking for the right doctor for uterus removal surgery, contact Pristyn Care today.
How to book an appointment?
You can easily book an appointment with Pristyn Care-
- by clicking on the “book appointment” tab on the top right corner of the website and filling the form.
- You can also directly call us on the phone number to book your appointment at the nearest Pristyn Care clinic.