Know the facts related to Thrush
Feeling Itchy, sore and uncomfortable? You could be suffering from Thrush. It is a common yeast infection in the genitals and neighboring area. It affects both the genders, and usually occurs in warm, moist parts of the body like the vagina, around the foreskin, and in the mouth. Vaginal thrush is a very common yeast infection that affects most women at some point and can be treated with medication. However, sometimes, vaginal thrush may be difficult to treat and keeps coming back.
- Itching and soreness around the opening of the vagina
- Vaginal discharge
- Pain during sex
- A stinging sensation while peeing
- Sometimes the skin surrounding the vagina can be red, swollen or cracked.
Vaginal thrush is caused by yeasts from a group of fungi known as Candida. Many women have Candida in their vagina without causing any problems, but thrush may develop when the natural balance of micro-organisms in the vagina is disturbed and Candida multiplies.
Factors that trigger thrush are:
- Use of antibiotics
- Weakened immune system
- Age between twenties and thirties as thrush is less common in girls who haven't started their periods and women during menopause
Vaginal thrush isn't categorized as an STI, but it may be triggered by sex, especially if you have trouble relaxing and your vagina is dry and it can rarely be passed on to sexual partners.
Mild thrush may generally be treated with a short course of antifungal medication. The symptoms subside within a week or two. However, longer treatment is required if you get repeated bouts of thrush. Medicines can be bought over the counter from pharmacies, or on prescription from your GP. Medicines may include:
- Pessaries: a special pill to be inserted in your vagina.
- Intravaginal creams: are also placed into the vagina using an applicator
- Capsules: taken orally
- Certain creams may be applied to relieve itchiness and soreness,
All these treatments are all evenly effective. However, pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid capsules.
If you get thrush frequently, you can:
- Apply a greasier moisturizer to the skin around your vagina.
- Avoid scented soaps, shower gels, wipes, and douches.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitting underwear or tights
- Keep your blood sugar level under control, if you have diabetes
Gurgaon: Golf Course Road, Shan Road, MG Road, Cyber Hub, DLF, Sushant Lok, Palam Colony, Sikanderpur, Sector- 3, 4, 5, 6, 7,9, 10, 12, 14, 17, 46, 47, 48, 38
South Delhi: Hauz Khas, Green Park, Jor Bagh, South Ex., Saket, Malviya Nagar, GK.
East Delhi: Mayur Vihar, Laxmi Nagar, Padpad Ganj, Preet Vihar, Akshardham, Vaishali, Kaushambi, Vasundhra, Indirapuram, Geeta Colony, Shahdra, Shastru Nagar, Ghaziabad, Dilshad Garden
West Delhi: Pitampura, Shalimar bagh, Paschim Vihar, Rajouri garden, Moti Nagar, Kirti Nagar, Ramesh Nagar, Inderlok, Rohini, Punjabi Bagh, Subhash Nagar, Mayapuri, Tilak Nagar, Hari Nagar, Wazirpur, Karol Bagh, patel Nagar, Kamla Nagar, Civil Lines, GTB Nagar, Dwarka, Vasant Kunj, Uttam Nagar, Janakpuri, Najafgarh.
Noida: Sectors 15,18, 16, 21, 22, 26, 30, 31-37, 51-55, 70-73, 100, Arun Vihar, Niti Khand, Kaushambi,Vasundhar Enclave, Ghaziabad.
Punjab and Haryana,Rajisthan: Rewari, Rohtak, Bhiwadi, Sohna, Manesar, Karnal, Bhiwani, Sonipat, Panipat, Jind, Chandigarh, Jaipur