Diagnostic procedures required for sinusitis treatment
One of the most important criteria for diagnosing sinusitis is a medical history and physical examination. Your doctor will collect a detailed medical history, along with your symptoms, their severity, duration, recurrence, etc., to determine whether you have acute or chronic sinusitis.
Other diagnostic tests that help diagnose the presence and severity of sinusitis are:
- Imaging tests: CTs and MRIs help examine the details of the sinuses and the nasal area for inflammation, nasal polyps, tumors, infection, etc.
- Endoscopy: A diagnostic endoscopy involves the insertion of a long thin, flexible fiber-optic light to visualize the sinuses for the diagnosis of nasal problems like deviated nasal septum, nasal polyps, nasal tumors, etc.
- Allergy test: In addition to infection, another condition that may be triggering recurrent sinusitis is an allergy. A skin allergy test is a safe, quick and easy way to detect if there is an allergen behind the patient’s condition.
- Tissue swab/culture: Tissue cultures are very important for the diagnosis and treatment of sinusitis. They help determine the causing bacteria/fungi responsible for sinusitis so that appropriate medication can be prescribed.
Treatments for chronic sinusitis in Patna
- Medical management: Based on the results of the diagnostic tests, your ENT doctor will prescribe you medicines to help manage and reduce your symptoms. Different medicines that can help sinusitis patients are nasal corticosteroids, nasal sprays, oral or injected corticosteroids, allergy medications, antibiotics, antifungals, etc.
- Surgery: Functional endoscopic sinus surgery, or FESS surgery, is a common and effective treatment for chronic sinus infections. It is a minimally invasive procedure in which the surgeon uses a magnifying endoscope to remove the infected tissues in the sinuses. The main goals of FESS surgery are to flush out the infected material and open block air passages in the nose while preserving enough healthy tissue so that sinuses can function normally.
In contrast to conventional surgery, FESS is less invasive and promises better recovery with minimal scarring. It is usually performed under local anesthesia. The surgical instruments are inserted through the nose to preserve aesthetic appearance. The infected sinuses are located, drained and then washed using a saline solution. After all the infected tissue is removed, the incisions are closed.
If you are suffering from either acute or chronic sinusitis, you should consult the best ENT specialist near you for appropriate treatment. Pristyn Care is aligned with the best ENT doctors in Patna to provide the best treatment to all patients.