When does a woman need an abortion?
The decision to terminate a pregnancy is often complex and difficult. The need to undergo can sometimes be physical, while other times, it can be social.
Abortions in India are usually done under the following circumstances:
- The pregnancy has adverse effects on the health and wellbeing of either the mother or the baby.
- The pregnancy is a result of any form of sexual assault.
- The growth and development of the fetus are abnormal and there are high chances of the fetus developing certain deformities.
- The pregnancy is a result of contraception failure.
- The fetus is developing outside the uterus. It is called an ectopic pregnancy that needs to be terminated immediately.
- The child has no heartbeat.
Meet trusted gynecologists at Pristyn Care, Chennai to undergo 100% confidential abortion?
In India, abortion is deeply rooted in stigma. The social stigma associated with women, especially, unmarried ones undergoing an abortion, often leads them to resort to unsafe ways to abort the baby. According to a study published by Guttmacher, 24% of 500 unmarried adolescent abortion seekers reported that their parents had taken punitive measures, including beating or starving them for prolonged periods.
- Indian society is not open to abortion. Very little is discussed in Indian households about safe medical termination of pregnancy. In rural India, things are even worse
- most women are forced to engage in unsafe gender-based abortions or simply because the fetus is a girl child. There’s both fear and taboo rooted in abortion
- the case is not very different for educated and privileged women either.
At Pristyn Care, we place privacy and confidentiality as core aspects of our healthcare. Patient confidentiality is an essential and integral part of every consultation and treatment. When a patient approaches our doctors for abortion, the first thing we try to do is convince her every information that she furnishes to the doctor is safe and protected. When a patient realizes that her identity and information that she shares would be safe, she is more likely to be honest and open with the doctor during her consultation which in turn makes it easier for the doctor to determine the best line of treatment for her. At Pristyn Care, we ensure the protection of every patient's private as well as medical details. Nobody else apart from the person who is involved in the treatment process gets access to the patient's details.
What are the different surgical procedures for abortion?
The different methods available for abortion are related to each other. The methods can be suggested by the doctor as a standalone procedure or combination according to requirement. The most common methods used for abortion are explained below:
- Dilation and Evacuation
- Dilation and evacuation (D&E) is a surgical procedure for abortion in the second trimester, i.e., after the 14th week of pregnancy. This method of abortion is chosen when a woman has to terminate the pregnancy due to severe abnormality in the fetus or some medical problem.
The process is done under anesthesia. Once the woman is sedated, the gynecologist will part her legs and examine her uterus. The doctor will insert a speculum inside the vagina. With the help of dilators and hydrogel rods, the doctor opens the cervix and softens it. Using narrow forceps, the doctor removes the pregnancy through the neck of the womb. The doctor will then insert a tube through the cervix and a suction machine will be used to complete the evacuation. The treatment will not take more than 20 minutes. After the abortion is complete, the patient will be shifted to a private ward and shall be kept under observation until anesthesia's effect wears off.
- Dilation and curettage
- Dilation and curettage is a surgical procedure in which the cervix is dilated and a curette is used to remove the inner lining of the uterus.
Most people get confused between D&E and D&C. D&E is done during the second trimester and is pretty similar to a D&C in that it uses a vacuum aspiration, but requires more surgical instruments to remove the tissue (like forceps). Because it's done later on in a pregnancy, it can take a little longer.
Can everyone undergo abotion by medicine?
Medicinal abortion isn’t an option for everyone. You cannot go for abortion through medicines if you:
- Are under specific medication for heart or blood vessel diseases, kidney or lung disease, severe liver, or an uncontrolled seizure disorder
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Are too far along in your pregnancy (more than 9 weeks)
- Have a case of ectopic pregnancy
- Are taking a blood thinner or steroid medication
- Are allergic to the medicines used during the procedure
What is the success rate of the abortion pill?
The effectiveness of the pill depends on how far you are in your pregnancy while you take the pill.
- For women who are 8 weeks pregnant or less, the pill works about 94-98 out of 100 times.
- For women who are 8-9 weeks pregnant, the pill works about 94-96 out of 100 times.
- For women who are 9-10 weeks pregnant, the pill works about 91-93 out of 100 times. If you're given an extra dose of medicine, it works about 99 out of 100 times.
- If the abortion pill does not successfully end the pregnancy, you may require to take more pills or go for surgical termination of pregnancy.
Why Choose Pristyn Care For Safe Abortion?
Skilled gynecologists- Abortions can be performed only by certified and registered medical practitioners. Pristyn Care has a team of the best gynecologists who are certified under the MTP act. The gynecologists and surgeons are well trained and you can entrust them for a complication-free procedure.
Free of cost pickup and drop service- Pristyn Care is dedicated to making the patients’ medical experience absolutely seamless. To add to the convenience of the patient, Pristyn Care provides a free pick up and drop facility on the day of the treatment so that the patient does not face any problems while commuting.
High standards of hygiene- At Pristyn Care we understand the importance of sanitation in today’s times. Therefore, all our hospitals have raised the standards of hygiene and sanitation and all the COVID-19 safety protocols are strictly followed.
'Care Buddy' from Pristyn Care- If you require to undergo the abortion procedure at a Pristyn Care hospital, the hospital assigns you a 'Care Buddy'. The Care Buddy takes care of all the needs of the patients and assists them till the end of the procedure.