Normal vaginal bleeding happens for a few days during menstruation. However, some women may experience vaginal bleeding or spotting. That can be between their average cycle. This is believed to be abnormal as it happens when it is not expected. That can be unexpected periods, during pregnancy or some women may experience it after menopause.
Reasons behind the abnormal vaginal bleeding
There are several factors that can lead to abnormal vaginal bleeding. Here we discuss the major seven bleeding causes that demand immediate treatment:
- The complication in Pregnancy: Bleeding during pregnancy is not a normal condition and may depict some severe complications. Light spotting or heavy bleeding both need immediate attention. It can point to a miscarriage or ectopic pregnancy (when a zygote is implanted in the fallopian tube rather than the uterine cavity).
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS): This condition interferes with regular ovulation. Fluid-filled sacs take place and come all around the ovaries. This stops ovaries to release eggs in the usual manner. This may lead to a bleeding in-between period cycle.
- Hormonal Imbalance: It can cause spotting. This happens when ovaries do not function well.
- Intrauterine Device (IUD): Spotting or heavy periods can be caused by the use of IUDs.
- Infections: Infections in reproductive organs such as the uterus, fallopian tubes, cervix, ovaries or the vagina can lead to inflammation and bleeding. These infections may result in a part of sexually transmitted infections (STIs). The pelvic inflammatory disease can also lead to infection in the reproductive organs.
- Uterine fibroids: Non-cancerous tumors in the uterus can also cause abnormal bleeding.
- Cancer: Cancer in the organs; cervix, uterus, ovaries or vagina can lead to unusual bleeding.
What to do in case of bleeding?
Vaginal bleeding is always alarming. Anytime you notice unusual spotting or abnormal vaginal bleeding, you need to consult with a good doctor. This can help avoid any complications with your health. You can discuss the advanced treatments and modern surgical procedures to cure such problems.