What causes Brown Discharge?
There may be several reasons for brown vaginal discharge. If the discharge is normal, it will do no harm or cause any trouble. But the abnormal brown discharge accompanied by several other complications and symptoms may be something you need to consult with your gynecologist. Common reasons for brown discharge are:
- Implantation Bleeding
- Birth Control
- Ectopic Pregnancy
- Breakthrough bleeding
- Sexually Transmitted Disease or Infection.
What can be the cause of Brown Discharge?
- Brown discharge is common among most females, especially around two to three days before the periods. In such cases, brown discharge may be a sign of period coming.
- Some women experience brown discharge after their menstrual cycle. This happens when the uterus cleans itself after the periods. There may be very light or no bleeding in such a case. There can be light discharge for several days after the period ends.
- Use of contraceptives or Hormonal Birth Control can also cause brown vaginal discharge. The uterine lining gets thinner if the female uses hormonal birth control. This condition may cause mild brown discharge even when there is no period.
- In rare cases, a female may experience brown discharge as a sign of ovulation. When the mature egg breaks open the ovary, there may be slight bleeding. The female can also experience abdominal pain and cramps in such situations.
- Brown discharge may also be a result of Breakthrough bleeding. There is mild light brown discharge in this case. A female may experience mild brown discharge between period cycles.
- Some females may have mild brown discharge after sexual intercourse. This may be a result of vigorous intercourse.
Brown Discharge- A Sign of Pregnancy?
A female may experience light bleeding and abdominal cramps in her early pregnancy. Brown discharge may be a cause of implantation bleeding. Implantation Bleeding happens when the fertilized egg is implanted in the inner lining of the uterus. There may be slight bleeding that may be brown in color at this point. This generally happens around the time the female is expecting her period. In case a female has missed her period and has brown discharge instead, it may be a sign of pregnancy. Consult your gynecologist to the soonest in such a case.
Can brown discharge be a result of Infections?
There may certain infections that cause abnormal brown discharge. If the discharge is observed for several days and it does not stop on its own, it may be a good idea to visit a professional and get help. Certain infections or diseases that cause brown discharge are:
- Bacterial Vaginosis
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Such a complicated situation may be accompanied by several other symptoms such as:
- Fishy or Foul smell
- Itching or irritation in or around the vaginal area
- Pain during intercourse
- Burning sensation or pain while urinating
- Abdominal Cramps or tenderness
- Mild or heavy fever