There are several things a patient can do to reduce the chances of complications after the surgery and throughout the treatment course. To care for AV fistula and protect the vascular access, follow the tips below-
- Check the pulse in the vascular access every day and notify the doctor immediately if any changes occur.
- Follow the diet and lifestyle restrictions and recommendations advised by the doctor as long as the AV fistula is being used for dialysis treatment.
- Inform the doctor right away if there are signs of pregnancy or conception.
- Do not allow healthcare personnel to draw blood or take blood pressure readings from the arm where the AV fistula is located.
- Do not constrict the arm by sleeping on it or wearing tight accessories that can disrupt the blood flow.
- Let the doctor know if there is bleeding, redness around the wound, consistent pain, fever, swelling, or drainage from the fistula.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects with the AV fistula arm and protect it from injuries.
- Take the dialysis treatments and prescribed medications as directed by the doctor.