What to expect during and after a Laparoscopic Surgery?
Depending on the type of laparoscopic procedure, the patient is given pre-surgery instructions by the hospital or surgeon. The patient must not consume any food or fluid 8 to 9 hours prior to the surgery. It is also advised to wear loose clothing so that the clothes do not cause discomfort to the surgical site. Here is what you can expect during and after the laparoscopic surgery –
- During the surgery
- You will be administered with general or local anesthesia.
- The surgeon will inflate your abdomen with a gas (usually CO2) to insert the surgical equipment during the procedure.
- A long thin tube called a laparoscope is inserted into the abdominal region.
- This device is fitted with a camera on the other end that guides the surgeon during the surgery. It will usually take around 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
- Robotic laparoscopy involves a robot-assisted procedure where the surgeon controls the robotic arms that hold a camera and surgical equipment.
- The robotic system provides magnified 3D vision and allows the surgeon to carry out the complex procedure with increased precision.
- After the surgery
- The patient may feel dizzy and disoriented after the laparoscopic surgery due to the effects of anesthesia.
- You can expect mild pain and discomfort around the site of the incision when the effect of anesthesia wears off.
- You will be monitored for a few hours in the hospital after the surgery until you fully regain your consciousness.
- The doctor may prescribe some medications that will help reduce the pain and discomfort.
Do’s and Don’ts after a Laparoscopic Surgery.
Laparoscopic surgery is a major surgery that requires adequate rest and post-surgery restrictions to reduce complications and offer smooth recovery. Some of the do’s and don’ts after laparoscopic surgery are as follows –
- Engage in little movements like walking to avoid stagnating the body.
- Drink as much fluid as you can after the surgery.
- You can return to school or work usually two days after the surgery. Consult the physician before resuming your work.
- Eat foods containing fiber such as fruits vegetables, and stay active.
- Consult your doctor regularly to keep in check with the recovery process.
- Do not lift any heavy weights immediately after the laparoscopy.
- Do not drive a vehicle immediately after the surgery since the anesthesia can cause drowsiness.
- Do not engage in any sports or physical activities for at least a week after your laparoscopy.
- Do not take any medications for pain without consulting the physician.
- Avoid going inside a swimming pool or river for at least one week after the surgery.
- Avoid citrus fruits like oranges, tomatoes, etc.
What to expect at home after undergoing Laparoscopic Surgery?
The recovery time can differ depending on the medical condition of the patient and the type of laparoscopic surgery. The patient usually takes around one to two weeks to fully recover after the surgery. Here is what you can expect after your laparoscopic surgery at home –
- The patient may feel moderate pain in the areas around the incisions. However, pain and discomfort should improve within a few days.
- Sometimes, the gas used to inflate the abdomen during the procedure can remain inside in small amounts causing bloating, cramps, or shoulder pains. However, these symptoms do not last for more than one or two days after your body has absorbed the remaining gas.
Why choose Pristyn Care to undergo Laparoscopic Surgery?
Pristyn Care is a full-stack healthcare institute associated with some of the best multi-specialty hospitals and healthcare institutions across India. We aim to ease the process of accessing laparoscopic surgeries for every individual at minimal costs. Our general surgeons and specialists have years of experience in laparoscopy with a success rate of over 90%. Advantages of choosing Pristyn Care are –
- Highly experienced laparoscopic surgeons- Our team of laparoscopic experts has years of experience in performing advanced surgeries for a success rate of over 90%. In addition, our doctors offer comprehensive treatment to all our patients to guide them through the course of the procedure and make them aware of the risks involved.
- Insurance approval- Laparoscopic surgeries are done to treat health conditions that can otherwise cause life-threatening conditions. Therefore, most health insurance companies cover the entire cost of surgery. Pristyn Care assists with the insurance approval for laparoscopic surgery. However, the insurance approval depends on the type of your insurance policy and the terms and conditions set by the insurance provider.
- Flexible payment options- Pristyn Care offers various modes of payment for laparoscopic surgeries at no cost EMI. In addition, we accept credit cards and cash payments for the procedure.
- Free pick-up and drop facility- Pristyn Care provides free cab services for pick-up and drop-off to each patient within the city on the day of hernia surgery.
- Free follow-up consultation- Pristyn Care provides free follow-up consultation along with proper diet charts to all the patients after the laparoscopic surgery for a faster recovery.
- COVID-19 safe environment – Pristyn Care ensures proper sanitization of all the OTs and clinics before each surgery to curb the spread of the COVID. It is our top priority to maintain excellent hygiene and social distancing while providing a seamless patient experience.
How to book an appointment with the best Laparoscopic surgeons at Pristyn Care?
- You can fill out the patient form on our website www.pristyncare.com. Once your appointment form is submitted, a team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest and fix an appointment with the laparoscopic specialist according to your schedule.
- You can also directly connect with our medical coordinators through the contact number on our website. The medical coordinator will listen to your query and connect you with the laparoscopic doctor near your area and book an appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our team of medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online video consultation from doctors near your area, charge a nominal consultation fee.