Why is it necessary to undergo surgery for an umbilical hernia?
A hernia is one such medical condition for which surgical repair is necessary. Hernias have a tendency to grow bigger and severe with time. An umbilical hernia can become incarcerated if it gets trapped in the abdominal wall. Incarcerated hernia causes problems like nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, blood in stools, etc. Prolonged incarceration may result in cutting off the blood supply of the trapped portion. Such a condition is called strangulated hernia that requires immediate surgery. This complication of hernia can be potentially fatal.
The above-mentioned complications can be avoided by undergoing surgery as advised by the doctor.
There are two types of surgeries available for hernia repair- open and laparoscopic surgery. The latter is the advanced and simplified approach to hernia repair. The laparoscopic technique is regarded as one of the most effective hernia treatments and is least invasive in nature.
- Benefits of opting for laparoscopic surgery for umbilical hernia:
- The surgeon requires minimal access to the body- minimally invasive surgery
- Painless surgery
- Completes within 40-45 minutes only
- Outpatient or daycare procedure- no need for overnight hospital stay (in most cases)
- Faster healing of wounds
- The patient can easily get back on their feet within a week
- Complete recovery within 3-4 weeks
- Only minimal discomforts while healing from the surgery
- No permanent scarring from the procedure
- Wound care is simple and no major lifestyle restrictions
- Reduced chances of wound infection, inflammation or any other postoperative complication
Are there any risks or complications of umbilical hernia surgery?
The chances of risks and complications are very high in the case of open umbilical hernia surgery as compared to laparoscopic surgery.:
- Following are the common complications associated with open hernia surgery:
- Recurrence of hernia
- Heavy bleeding during or after the surgery
- Infection at the site of a large incision
- Severe abdominal pain due
- Damage to the surrounding visceral organs
- Perforation of the intestine
- Bowel obstruction
- The chances of these aforementioned complications are almost nil in the laparoscopic technique. However, there are only some minor complications associated with laparoscopy-assisted hernia surgery: Nausea and vomit
- Side-effects from anesthesia
- Difficulty in passing gas
These problems can be managed with the advice of the surgeon while recovering.
Why choose us for your treatment of gallstones?
- We work round the clock with the dedication to provide a seamless surgical experience to all our patients. You can avail of the following benefits by choosing Pristyn Care for your gallstone surgery:
- Advanced laparoscopic treatment performed by skilled surgeons
- Top multi-specialty partner hospitals for surgery
- The very high success rate of surgeries performed by our doctors
- Insurance claims of the patient are easily cleared with the help of our insurance team
- The facility of free transportation on the day of the surgery
- Proper post-operative care and free first follow-up consultation within a week after the surgery.
You can call us to book an appointment or ask any treatment-related queries. We are more than happy to serve you in any way possible.