You can reduce the risk of thyroid disease by doing the following:
- If you are a smoker, then you should quit smoking.
- Some studies have linked soy consumption to thyroid disease, so if you are consuming soy products, you should stop.
- If you are getting X-rays, then you should ask for a thyroid collar to protect the thyroid gland from radiation exposure.
- Selenium is an important mineral for thyroid health. If you are low on selenium, you should consider taking supplements.
- Perform self-checks of the thyroid gland regularly so that if you have any lumps, growths, or nodules, they can be detected and treated early.
- Incidence of thyroid disease is often linked with celiac disease, so get yourself checked and treated promptly.
- If you are low on iodine, then consider taking iodine supplements.