Facts on phimosis
- Men with tight foreskin are twice at risk of developing penile cancer than those who have been circumcised. Several studies indicate that countries with a higher incidence of circumcision have lower rates of penis-related diseases such as phimosis, balanitis, penile cancer, etc.
- The risk of penile cancer is higher in men who are above 60 years of age.
- Phimosis and paraphimosis are completely different. Phimosis is the inability of the foreskin to retract from the penis opening while paraphimosis is the condition in which the foreskin is retracted but can’t move back up.
Types of Phimosis
Depending on the causes of phimosis, it can be broadly categorized into two-
- Physiologic phimosis- It is a normal condition of a newborn male. Male babies are born with tight foreskin since birth. With age, the foreskin retracts. The retraction is usually completed by the age of 7. Although, it can take a few more years for some. The symptoms of this type of phimosis are visible around 3 years. Symptoms include the inability of the foreskin to retract while cleaning/bathing or inflating of the foreskin while urinating. This type of phimosis is more common in children. Physiological phimosis gets cured on its own unless there are no signs or symptoms.
- Pathologic phimosis- As the name suggests, this type of phimosis develops due to pathologic reasons. This type of phimosis occurs more in males who have hit their puberty. The main reasons for pathologic phimosis include- continuous swelling of the foreskin and penis glans, scarring of the foreskin and the most common, lack of hygiene.
Ayurveda can cure ear infection with its wide range of treatment options and powerful natural extracts. The most beneficial function of Ayurveda is that it heals the patient by strengthening the body from inside. To treat an ear infection with Ayurveda, a patient can take certain natural treatments that are listed below:
- Bael (Aegle Marmelos): The root of the bael tree is used to treat a lot of ear problems. A root is dipped in neem oil and lighted. The extract dripping from the root is used to put into the ear. This helps provide relief in earaches and infections.
- Bishop's Weed (Trachyspermum Ammi): Bishop's weed is one of the most effective treatments of ear problems. A patient can use a teaspoonful quantity and heat it in 30 milliliters of milk. The juice of the weed is allowed to permeate into the milk and used as ear drops to cure the ear problems.
- Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum): The holy basil or tulsi is also beneficial for ear problems. The juice of tulsi extracted from its leaves can be used as ear drops.
Treatment of Phimosis
Ayurveda for phimosis
As discussed earlier, phimosis occurs when the foreskin is unable to retract from the tip of the penis. According to Ayurveda, the application of herbal oil can help in the retraction of the foreskin and strengthening the skin. This helps in the widening of the opening of the skin that covers the genitals thereby, the foreskin backs up over the penis’s tip.
Homeopathy for Phimosis
When phimosis occurs due to balanitis, the doctor recommends the following homeopathic medicines-
- For burning or extreme pain, doctors recommend Apis Mellifica.
- For marked redness of the glans penis, doctors prescribe Caladium.
- To get relief from swelling and painful sensitivity, doctors recommend Merc Sol.
- To get some relief from prolonged itching, Cinnabaris is recommended.
- For getting relief from pain while urinating, doctors recommend Cantharis.
- To get some relief from dark red swelling and pain in the groin, doctors recommend Rhus Tox.
- For throbbing, shooting pain under Glans, doctors recommend Rhododendron.
Allopathy for Phimosis
There are some allopathic medicines that can provide some relief from symptoms of phimosis.
- Hyaluronidase- It is an enzyme that is recommended for hydration, dispersion, and absorption of other injected drugs.
- Hydrocortisone- It is a medicine that is recommended to get relief from severe allergies, arthritis, asthma, multiple sclerosis, and skin conditions
Home Remedies for Phimosis
Repeat the above steps twice or more on a daily basis until the foreskin fully retracts without any pain or discomfort. The foreskin might get loose within four to eight weeks if you stretch the skin on a daily basis. But remember the following tips before you stretch the foreskin-
- Gently apply a layer of steroid cream on and around the entire foreskin. Make sure to cover all the area- from the tip of the penis down to where the foreskin meets the skin lower in the penis shaft.
- Gently massage the cream into the foreskin by rubbing it slowly until the cream is fully absorbed by the skin.
- Pull your foreskin back carefully but stop as soon as you feel any discomfort or pain.
The most-effective home remedy for curing phimosis is to practice stretching on the foreskin regularly. Here’s how to stretch the foreskin safely back in its place-
- Be gentle while pulling the foreskin. Stop pulling when it starts to pain, crack or bleed.
- Make sure that you use a topical steroid cream while massaging and softening the foreskin.
- Don’t delay the treatment for seeking medical help.
Prevention of Phimosis
Good hygiene of the penis can lower the chances of phimosis or other related conditions. Some good penis hygiene tips are described below-
- The foreskin should be washed regularly. The foreskin should be pulled back and gently rinsed with soap and water every time a bath is taken. This is done to prevent any buildup of urine, dirt, bacteria and other substances.
- The entire penis- tip, shaft, base, and scrotum- should be washed thoroughly.
- Loose, breathable underwear should be worn so that excessive moisture doesn’t build up under the foreskin.
- Pubic hair should be removed to prevent bacterial/fungal infections that can lead to phimosis.