In the developed world, sinuses affect 1 in 7 people, making it one of the most common conditions people suffer from. From long term medications to surgical options, there are various treatment options to cure sinusitis in India. But the effectiveness of the treatment varies. E.N.T doctors believe that the best way to cure chronic sinusitis is surgery. Balloon sinuplasty is one of the surgical methods that can cure the symptoms of sinusitis.
The introduction of this USFDA-approved surgery has been a boon for people suffering from sinusitis. It is the most recommended treatment option for curing chronic sinusitis. Also known as balloon catheter dilation surgery, it is used to decongest the sinuses.
People who have a condition in which the sinus membranes become inflamed or prevent mucus drainage, pus and suffers from congestion are recommended to undergo this surgery. E.N.T doctors recommend this surgery after they have diagnosed the problem by checking the following symptoms-
- Pain in the jaws
When medical therapies such as nasal decongestant medications and rinses, antibiotics, and nasal drips fail to respond to blocked noses or sinus inflammations, doctors recommend this procedure.
This surgery dilates the openings of the nasal sinuses without any cuts on the tissues or bones and flushes out congestion using a saline solution. In this procedure, the doctor inflates the nasal sinuses using small balloon catheters which helps to drain them.
Risks involved in Balloon Sinuplasty
The success rate of balloon sinuplasty is quite low in India due to the various risks it involves. Just like any other surgery, there are several complications pertaining to balloon sinuplasty. Some of them are discussed below-
- Bleeding or drainage with blood for a few days after the surgery.
- Your nose, cheek or forehead might be tender on touching.
- There can be swelling in the facial area also.
- Intracranial complications in which the link between the brain and the nose gets affected. This can even cause fluid from the brain to leak into the nose.
- It is quite possible if the appearance of the nose changes. There can be swelling after the surgery which might not subside even after days.
- If the area is not cleaned after the surgery, it might result in an infection.
- There can be a loss in the sensation of smell.
Unfortunately, due to all the above-mentioned risks, E.N.T doctors prescribe FESS surgery over a balloon sinuplasty. There is a percentage of doctors who believe that balloon sinuplasty may work in the western world but it might not be a permanent cure for the people in India. People looking for sinus surgeries can also undergo FESS surgery.
FESS surgery- the best way to cure sinusitis
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) is considered the most effective treatment option for treating chronic sinus infections. During a FESS procedure, the surgeon inserts an endoscope to look inside the nasal cavity and remove the tissue or bone.
The FESS surgery is considered a more reliable option as this is a minimally-invasive procedure in which the doctors cut open the sinuses with the help of a camera mounted on the endoscope. At Pristyn Care clinics, we provide FESS surgeries with the microdebrider in which the sinus infections are ‘washed out’ to remove the inflammations. There are several benefits a FESS surgery offers to the patients. Some of them are discussed below-
- Less pain as compared to other surgeries
- Risk of bleeding less as compared to other sinus surgeries
- The results are long-lasting
- There are fewer complications with FESS (Also Read: How effective is FESS? )
- Discomfort is less as compared to other sinus surgeries
To sum it up, both balloon sinuplasty and FESS can cure chronic sinusitis. But balloon sinuplasty might not be the right option due to the various risks it involves. Doctors recommend FESS surgery for its various advantages. If you are still not able to decide which option to consider, talk to our medical coordinator today who can guide you in a better way or just visit our E.N.T clinic to know more about sinusitis and its treatment.