What do we miss out in this mad race of reaching everywhere to cope up with the rest of the world? This prominent question could be answered by everyone who has become a happy victim of modernization and digitalization. We miss out on the most important aspect that surrounds us and our loved ones, i.e., health and wellness. One such mushrooming problem among women is the PCOS- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. In this blog, we will get a brief understanding of PCOS and some Ayurveda suggested methods to treat the symptoms.
Quick Read: Know the Difference Between PCOS and PCOD
PCOS- Polycystic ovary syndrome
This is a condition that affects women’s hormonal levels. 1 in 10 women is affected by this disease. PCOS makes it harder for women to get pregnant because excess male hormones are produced. Women have irregular periods if they have PCOS. It also involves cysts in the ovary.
As per the doctors, the major causes of PCOS can be:
- Genes: PCOS runs in females. Many genes can contribute to this condition.
- Insulin resistance: This happens when cells cannot use insulin properly. The pancreas then makes more insulin in order to meet the body’s demand for insulin. This causes the ovaries to produce more male hormones.
- Obesity: One of the major and commonly observed causes of PCOS is obesity, which further causes insulin resistance and can root Type 2diabetes.
- Inflammation: Excess inflammation can cause higher androgen levels in the body causing PCOS.
Major signs and symptoms
- Irregular periods: Periods skip due to lack of ovulation. Uterus lining will not shed monthly.
- Hair growth: Excess hair growth on the face, back and belly could be observed as a symptom.
- Acne: Breakouts on the face, chin, and upper back can occur as excess male hormones produce excess oil.
- Headaches: Hormone changes can trigger headaches in some women.
- Weight gain: More than 70% of women with PCOS are overweight or obese.
- Baldness: Many women observe male pattern baldness and experience their hair getting thinner.
- Skin darkening: Dark patches of skin can be seen on the neck, in the groin and under the breasts.
- Heavy bleeding: The periods you get are heavier than usual due to uterine lining build up.
Also Read: 10 Myths Debunked about PCOS in Women
Hormonal imbalances due to PCOS can pose the following risks and dangers:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Breast cancer (Also Read: Breast Cancer Types)
- Ovarian cancer
- Endometrial cancer (a type of cancer that occurs in the uterus lining)
- Thyroid disorders
- High blood cholesterol
- Miscarriage (Also Read: Challenging Life After Miscarriage)
After measuring the whole nine yards of treatment procedures and types, most women knock the doors of Ayurveda, the age-old medicinal and treatment science that has not disappointed anyone.
Ayurveda suggests the following lifestyle changes and medicines:
Sesame black seeds:
Take 100ml of water and add 5 grams of black sesame seeds till the water boils to half quantity. Filter and take two times on an empty stomach. You can add jaggery for taste. This remedy can help regulate your menstrual cycles.
Deodar bark (40 grams):
Boil the bark in ½ liters of water for a long time to get 50 ml of it. Consume this drink three times a day. It’s an effective remedy to get periods regularly.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Take 20 ml of the ACV and mix with 200 ml of water and drink this 2 times a day on an empty stomach. This works in regulating period cycles. Make sure you get a refined ACV.
Alum is known for stopping bleeding in Ayurveda. Take alum from a trusted Ayurveda store then crush it after refining and roast it on a frying pan. Thereafter, mix it with 50 ml of water and 10 grams of crystal sugar. Consume it 2-3 times a day till bleeding stops.
Take Vasa leaves, dry and powder them. Take 3 grams 3-4 times a day. This will help in controlling excessive bleeding during periods.
Apart from this, some diet and lifestyle changes are also recommended by Ayurveda:
- Losing weight: Losing weight not only focuses on treating PCOS and its symptoms but also helps in eradicating most of the ailments. Focus on gradual weight loss which will stay for a prolonged time. You also need to concentrate more on losing inches than counting numbers. (Also Read: What To Eat If You Have PCOS? )
- Say no to refined sugars: Refined sugars, nuts, fruits containing fructose should be avoided.
- Do not eat after sunset.
- Fix your food timings. That helps a lot in maintaining weight.
- Avoid aluminium and steel vessels. Use copper and brass.
- Restrict your excess salt intake.
These were some Ayurveda remedies to treat and fight PCOS symptoms and discomforts. But it’s always better that you seek your doctor’s advice before opting for any treatment or therapy. Everybody type is different and might react differently to Ayurveda treatments. Lifestyle interventions are the first thing a doctor will suggest to get over with PCOS. Maintain a healthy lifestyle. Amend some daily habits that might be hazardous for your internal wellbeing. See a doctor if you’re trying to conceive from 12 months but are unable to. Complete body check-up is a must if you notice some strong signs and discomforts. Take care and eat healthily!!