Isn’t it embarrassing to have an itchy vagina, especially in the public place!! If it occurs rarely, it can be ignored, but if it becomes the daily habit, corrective measures and actual reasons to be diagnosed. Some of the common factors responsible for Itchy Vagina are:-
- Bacterial Vaginosis: Bv is the common cause of vaginal itching which is again caused by an imbalance of healthy bacteria or change in vaginal pH level. The symptoms feel like a yeast infection only, but in this case, discharge is more watery with a bad odor. Although it can be treated with OTC treatment cream, more prescription can be given by the gynecologist in case of non-improvements.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections: Unprotected sex may lead to infection to your vagina leading to itchy with chlamydia, herpes, trichomoniasis, and gonorrhea. The increasing problem may lead to burning sensation as well with increasing time. The burning sensation can be experienced at the time of pee. Other symptoms are foul discharge, sores in genital parts, pain during sex. Get quick treatment though gynae expert.
- Yeast Infections: It is caused by the pH imbalance. Apart from the pH level disturbance, it can get affected through antibiotics, sexual habits, stress, diets, diabetes, etc. Along with the itchy Vagina, one may experience the curdled, white & thick discharge. These are not permanent and occurs randomly. OTC treatment can help to cure the symptoms in a day or more. To avoid the recurrent infection, a gynecologist may recommend probiotic. Yeast infection is more common in winters as compare summers.
- Contact Dermatitis: This is a kind of skin allergy which happens with using perfumes or soaps, condom, lubricants etc. Initially, you may notice redness, swelling and skin thickening. it may also happen through shaving the genital area. If you are suspected to have vaginal irritation, you are required to avoid the perfumed soaps, shampoos, lubricants. in fact, one should not use the scented toilet papers. If your vaginal skin is sensitive, better to avoid the shaving. keep your vagina clean through natural ways, not through putting extra efforts.
- Eczema or psoriasis: It causes redness, rashes & itching in the genital region. The symptoms can be corrected with steroid or oatmeal baths. If the discomfort continues even after a week, better to consult with your nearest gynecologist.
- Lichen Sclerosis: This is referred the stage of white spots on the genital skin which may occur due to hormonal imbalance and overactive immune system. Medication prescribed by the doctor is to be taken on a regular basis to get rid of this problem.
- Hormonal Imbalance: Hormones may change anytime during pregnancy, menopause, periods, or sexual intercourses. dryness is one of the indicators causing painful sex. using pads, tampons may lead to discomfort. To get rid of this discomfort, a menstrual cup can be used and scented products may worsen the problem. Frequent hormonal changes can be covered through using medications.
Know the real symptoms and get rid of Vaginal Itching by taking the right treatment.
Also Read: Vaginal Yeast Infection and Its Symptoms