With modern times comes modern problems and health complications that everyone faces and want to control before it worsens. One of the most prominent issues is obesity which is almost everyones’ problem with all age slots.
This can prove to be a serious problem because, with overweight, many other health issues come and house our body that can severely deteriorate our health. People with desk jobs, IT professionals, bank employees, shopkeepers, cab drivers are all in the vicar of obesity. In short, people with less or no physical activity are targets.
In this article, we will be discussing the causes and prevention methods to get over with obesity issues that are quite common in our busy lives and stressful schedules. Before proceeding further let’s have a look upon the term obesity.
Obesity can be best explained as a disorder involving excessive body fat that increases the risk of health problems. When high amounts of energy, particularly fat and sugar are consumed but not used through any physical activity or exercise, that surplus energy will be stored in the body as fat. It later causes a person to gain excess weight and eventually become obese.
Let’s put a light on the major causes of obesity.
Causes of obesity
- High simple carbs diet: Eating too many carbs can lead to weight gain as carbs break down into sugar and if the energy is not used it will simply be stored as fat in the body. Excessive intake of simple carbohydrates will lead to obesity. Foods such as pasta, bread, starchy vegetables, rice, milk, and sweets are high carb foods.
- Genetics: As per a recent study, genetics contribute to 40-70% of obesity. Genes are capable of altering and influencing appetite control and food intake.
- Physical inactivity: Physical inactivity and lethargy are the major contributions of weight gain. As the energy intake would convert into fats that get stored in the body which will ultimately lead to double cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis, and high blood pressure, risks of colon cancer, depression and anxiety.
- Eating habits: Eating habits nowadays include eating junk every now and then. When calorie consumption is more than you can burn, that energy stored as fat makes you overweight or obese.
- Eating frequency: Eating all day or too much in small intervals would make you fat as the energy stored is not burnt off with that frequency.
- Hormonal imbalance: Growth hormones, sex hormones, insulin influence our appetite, metabolism and fat distribution in the body. Imbalance in various hormones would affect body shape and weight.
- Stress and anxiety issues: High levels of stress hormone for a long time will result in high BMI (Body Mass Index) and a larger waist as compared to the ones with low levels of such hormones.
- Medications: Some types of medications cause weight gain. Medicines for diabetes, antidepressants and other such medicines can make a person obese.
- Diseases such as hypothyroidism: Hypothyroidism is a condition where the thyroid gland located in the neck produces too little hormone which disrupts the metabolism of the body.
- Metabolic and age-related factors: With advancing age, people develop insulin resistance and less urge for physical activities and exercises which causes them to gain weight.
Also Read: Obesity And Fertility Risks In Women
Symptoms of obesity
Overweight people feel shortness of breath as extra weigh on the chest and abdomen increases the work of the muscles that control breathing. Respiratory dysfunctions might be noticeable when obesity strikes.
- Fatigue all day:
Obesity makes you carry more body-weight that causes tiredness and fatigue. Moreover, extra energy is used in carrying own body weight. It’s a common observation that when you lose weight, you feel more agile and active vanishing all your tiredness and daytime sleepiness.
- Joint pains:
Joint pains are majorly caused due to inflammation. Being overweight puts a strain on the joints which causes joint pains. Reduction in weight significantly reduces joint pain and muscle pain.
- Feeling left out:
People of all ages, especially young children feel left out and socially isolated which in the long run might cause depression as the tender age children develop inferiority complex easily.
- Low on confidence and self-esteem:
Because one might not feel comfortable in one’s own skin and becomes prone to body shaming which has become a stigma all over the world, his/her self-esteem and confidence might drop drastically.
Snoring is a common problem among people with obesity. Excess fat around the neck and throat might cause congestion in inhalation while being in the sleeping posture. Regular exercise and weight loss can curb snoring problems in most cases.
- Increased sweating:
With increased weight experiencing excessive sweating might be a common sight. And it could be a warning sign of developing various health problems like increased blood pressure, thyroid or diabetes.
- Getting tired with little physical activity:
Because the body’s stamina drops down with a lot of weight gain, getting tired easily and quickly is a very common symptom.
Health Risk factors associated with obesity
|Depression||Colon Cancer||High blood pressure|
|Cancer||Sleep Apnea||Kidney disease|
|Pregnancy problems||Osteoarthritis||Joint pains|
How to cope up with weight gain problems with work?
There can be certain ways by which you can curb those extra pounds adding up to your weight. Some of these are:
- Replace unrefined grains with whole grains options.
- Make fresh fruits and vegetables your best friends.
- Replace all drinks with green which will naturally detoxify the body from toxins.
- Don’t spend long hours sitting. Keep walking in between, take 5 minutes break and do light stretching on your office chair itself.
- Make a regular routine for morning and evening brisk walks.
- Learn to say no to sweets and sugar. Office parties are always enticing and come along with enticing fatty, unhealthy foods and snacks. One must not be ashamed of saying a ‘NO’ after having a certain amount if offered too much.
- Do meditation in small breaks to avoid stress at the workplace.
- Stay happy. Laugh a lot.
- Eat a balanced diet and have a light walk near or around the workplace.
- Keep a check on having all body tests and blood tests at regular intervals.
These were some easy tips to maintain weight with a heavy and tight schedule. You can also go for Laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Let’s have a simple understanding of what it is.
Laparoscopic bariatric surgery
This operation is performed laparoscopically and involves small incisions (approximately 5-6 inches) around the abdomen area and a small camera is inserted along with surgical tools. The 80 percent of the stomach area is removed. Hence it also restricts the amount of food that the stomach can hold.
The problem of obesity is quite prominent around the world and further leads to many health problems and life-threatening complications. This has to be everyone’s concern because health and fitness are precious. Sometimes we intentionally plunge into the pit of overeating, junk eating and the modern lifestyle changes which ultimately proves to be hazardous for us.
Remember- “The Lighter, The Better.” One needs to be comfortable and confident in one’s own skin but fitness and health should be a major concern too.