The organs of the anus, rectum, and colon may sometimes get damaged due to difficulties in the gastrointestinal tract. Diverticulitis, cancer and inflammatory bowel disease are common problems linked with GI tract. Colorectal surgery is known to repair these damages.
We share some factors associating colorectal surgery as below:
- This is an effective treatment option for cases in which the intestinal tract undergoes major reconstruction. This involves disorders such as ulcerative colitis, colorectal cancer, Crohn's disease (inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract) and a few diverticulitis cases.
- Colorectal surgery is a beneficial procedure for treating wear & tears in the anal region, which is the case of anal fissures. Other bowel disorders that demand surgical treatment are hemorrhoids, incontinence of bowel movement and rectal prolapse. It is capable of treating blockages in the colon or rectum and even help tighten the sphincter muscles.
- Some pelvic floor disarrays can cause rectum to bulge towards the vagina. This situation can be treated with colorectal surgery. A perineal hernia can also be cured with this surgery.
- The rectum may face blockage due to scar tissue. This may hinder the flow of blood and prevent normal discharge of excreta. This obstruction can be treated with the help of colorectal surgery.
- Colorectal surgery is the choice of surgeons to treat ulcerative colitis when medications fail to show effect. Ulcerative colitis is inflammatory bowel disease that can cause ulcers in the colon along with inflammation of the area.
- Problems like diverticulitis can lead to perforations in the rectum. In such case, surgery may be needed to eliminate the affected portion of the colon.
Conditions treated with Colorectal Surgery
- Anal disorders; piles, anal fissure, anal fistula, skin tags, itching, anal cancer & pilonidal sinus disease.
- Bowel disorders; bowel cancer (colon & rectal), inflammatory bowel diseases.