Varicocele is a common vascular problem that many men face at a certain point in their lives. It is the condition of enlargement of the veins of the testicles in the scrotum.
Varicoceles can develop due to unusual straining on the veins as a result of lifting heavy things, an injury, or a trauma. Initially, the lump of veins may not cause much discomfort but you should not wait for the symptoms to get severe.
Timely treatment for varicoceles is of utmost importance to prevent it from affecting fertility. Yes, prolonged or severe cases of varicocele can hinder the process of sperm production and also affect hormonal balance. Thus, neglecting the condition is just not the option.
Well, if you dread undergoing surgery for varicocele, here is good news for you. There are remedies and medications that help in getting rid of varicocele.
Let’s gain an insight into different effective treatments for varicocele:
Homeopathic Medicines for varicocele
Homeopathy can prove to be an effective way to cure or at least subside the symptoms of varicoceles. Homeopathic medicines are of natural origin and thus are absolutely safe for any age. Some of the most widely prescribed homeopathic medicines for varicocele include:
- Nux Vomica
- Rhus Toxicodendron
These homeopathic medicines alleviate the soreness, heaviness, swelling, and pain of varicoceles and thus help you carry on with your routine life without much hassle. Also, these homeopathic medicines improve the circulation of blood and prevent it from pooling inside the scrotal veins. This not only prevents the worsening of varicocele, but also brings significant improvements in the fertility issues, ejaculation problems, and other sexual problems caused due to varicocele.
Ayurvedic treatment for varicocele
Ayurveda is an age-old field of medicine that offers effective treatments for almost every ailment one can imagine. When it comes to varicocele, Ayurveda has medicines for this too. The following are some of the best Ayurvedic medicines for varicoceles.
These Ayurvedic medicines contain analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties that provide relief from the pain, swelling, and itchiness of varicocele. Ayurvedic medicines also strengthen the vein valves and protect them against oxidative damage, thereby preventing varicoceles from aggravating. In addition to this, if varicoceles have given rise to fertility problems, you can take the aforementioned medicines as these improve the overall sperm profile.
Varicocele treatment through Embolization
Embolization is an effective non-surgical procedure performed for the treatment of mild cases of varicocele. An interventional radiologist performs the procedure of embolization. In this procedure, the radiologist makes a very small nick in the groin region and inserts a small catheter through this nick. Through the catheter, the radiologist then injects a contrast dye so that the scrotal veins can be easily visualized.
Once the swollen and incompetent veins get mapped out, the veins are blocked or embolized using coils, balloons or particles. The blood flow thus redirects to other healthier veins and the unhealthy veins are completely shut off without any surgical intervention.
Home remedies that help in getting fast relief from varicocele
- A jockstrap is a must for support- Jockstrap is like a protective gear for testicles. It prevents the chances of varicoceles aggravating due to pressure while moving.
- Supplement of horse chestnut- The extract of horse chestnut is an excellent source of anti-oxidants. The supplements are also high in anti-inflammatory properties that help in bringing fast relief from varicoceles.
- Cold compressions for symptomatic relief- Cold compressions or ice packs bring major relief in swelling and pain of varicoceles. Using cold compressions just thrice a week for 10-15 minutes proves to be very effective in alleviating the discomforts of varicoceles. This is the most widely used home remedy for varicocele.
- Diet inclusive of fibers and antioxidants- Make sure that your daily diet consists of enough fibers and antioxidant-rich foods. This will help maintain proper bowel movement and also prevent free radical damage to the veins.
- Refrain from indulging in rigorous physical activities- Mild and low-intensity exercises are actually beneficial. However, avoid vigorous physical activities and heavy weight lifting. Doing so can excessively strain your groin region and put more pressure on your scrotal veins. (Also Read: Varicocele treatment by yoga)
- Dehydrating foods and drinks are a big no- Having spicy and junk food can contribute to delaying the healing of varicoceles. Also, carbonated and caffeinated beverages can dehydrate the body and cause the varicocele to be severe and add up to more discomforts.
What else to keep in mind?
Discuss with your doctor all the viable treatment options and then make a well-informed decision best suiting your condition. And remember not to discontinue the treatment without consulting your doctor. Doing so can result in the recurrence of varicocele in some time. Complete the course of all the medicines your doctor prescribes.
Remember that self-medication is definitely not an option. Improper medicines can have severe side effects and add further to your misery. And, not miss that smoking is among the major risk factors for varicoceles and other issues such as low sperm count.
The Bottom Line
Living with the condition of varicocele can be quite frustrating emotionally and mentally. Hopefully, by now you must have understood that there are various treatments for varicoceles. The sooner you get the treatment for varicocele, the faster, and easier will be the treatment.
If you are currently dealing with the problem and no other treatment proves to benefit you permanently, contact us at Pristyn Care. Our expert doctors will suggest the best treatment options and our medical coordinators will ensure that your experience at Pristyn Care is as trouble-free and seamless as it could be.