We often tend to find natural or home remedies to get rid of the problems that we suffer from. Nothing beats natural and the world knows this in contemporary times. Many times, we have solutions in our kitchen shelves and cabinets rather than relying blindly on Allopathy and artificial ways to alleviate any ailment or sickness.
Baking soda is a commonly used ingredient in Indian households that offers several benefits. It is not only a catalyst in baking and cooking but also is known to relieve us from those stomach cramps and bloating. So here, we are going to discuss the role of baking soda in dissolving gallstones. Let’s have a common understanding of what gallstones as we proceed further.
How does baking soda help in dissolving gallstones?
Gallstones are basically formed as a result of excess cholesterol that our bile salts cannot breakdown. These are hard painful mass that forms in the gallbladder. These can also form if the gallbladder does not empty completely or often enough.
Baking soda is known for its alkaline properties. It helps in controlling recurring pain. The pain due to gallstones is directly associated with bile disruption and baking soda helps in taming that acid build-up which is often felt as painful indigestion. All thanks to its alkaline properties!
- Baking soda consists of sodium bicarbonate and its consumption can help you to relieve the swelling in your bladder.
- Your bladder will be healthy and will be less prone to pain and further infections if you drink a glass of water with half a tablespoon of baking soda daily. Talk to your doctor if you don’t find any relief with one week’s consumption of this drink.
- Baking soda will further diminish the chances of urinary tract infections due to gallstones by balancing the acid levels in your body.
- Sodium bicarbonate will stop excess cholesterol to form into stones and crystals in your bladder due to bile imbalance.
- Taking half a tablespoon of baking soda in one glass of water before going to bed will reduce the acidic levels in your urine and thus help you get rid of the gallstones through urine.
How to consume baking soda to dissolve gallstones?
There are different ways to consume baking side to help dissolve small gallstones:
Consuming baking soda with Apple Cider Vinegar
You can have half a tablespoon of baking soda, a glass of water and two tablespoons of ACV as a solution in the morning or before bed. Adding baking soda will give this water a fizz. You can wait till the fizz disappears. Baking soda will help in alkalizing the system and hence removing the acidic nature whereas ACV will help in cleansing the internal system.
This solution will help you flush out the toxins and stones from your kidneys and bladder. Baking soda will not only help to cure existing gallstones but also helps in preventing the formation of new ones. (Also read: Apple cider vinegar for weight loss)
You can consume baking soda and ACV drink 2-3 times a day for stubborn gallstones until you see any weird body signals. In that case, you should visit your doctor and follow his instructions further.
Baking Soda and Honey
You can also mix ¼ th tablespoon of baking soda, 1 tablespoon of ACV and some honey in a glass of warm water. Stir nicely and drink this mixture slowly for some days. This will help in controlling the pain caused due to gallstones and will also aid in flushing out those stones out of your body.
Some precautions and tips:
We know that overuse of anything makes all its good properties go bad and might bring some health complications. So here are some precautionary tips that you should consider using baking soda for treating gallstones.
- For people above 5-60 years, 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda can be consumed in parts per day.
- You should not give baking soda to kids below 5 years of age as it might have some adverse effect on their health.
- You should not use it for a longer time without any doctor’s instructions or supervision. Baking soda is high in sodium content, so it is not recommended to be taken in high doses and for a longer time.
- The people who are following a sodium-restricted diet should refrain from consuming baking soda or it might deteriorate their health.
- People who have high blood pressure should not consume baking soda and rather look for other treatment methods to dissolve gallstones.
- Pregnant women and children should strictly use baking soda only after their doctor approves so.
Some common benefits of baking soda:
- Works as an excellent mouthwash. It has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties that help you maintain a good oral hygiene routine.
- It helps in treating heartburn that is caused by acid reflux. Baking soda neutralizes stomach acid.
- Can treat canker sores commonly known as mouth ulcers.
- Helps in whitening teeth by removing plaque when used as per directions and moderately.
- Helps in eliminating sweat odors by making that odorless acidic.
- Baking soda can also help in slowing down the progression of chronic kidney disease.
Baking soda is a very helpful ingredient in treating and solving many general problems. So now we know that it not only helps in raising your fluffy cakes and muffins but also can help in dissolving those cringy and painful gallstones that keep troubling you with sleepless nights. It is quite inexpensive and easily available at general stores and even at medical shops as an acidity reliever (ENO).
But you should always have proper knowledge about anything you use before taking as a remedy for your sickness. So, be aware of your health, and thereafter you can go for moderate consumption of such ingredients to get rid of issues naturally.
When to see a doctor
If you think these home remedies are gallstones aren’t helping to relieve pain or discomfort, consult a doctor. It is something to note that gallstones dissolve if they are very minute or one or two in number. Gallstones do not go away on their own. Bigger stones need surgical treatment where the gallbladder is removed. You can go for cholecystectomy or laparoscopic surgery for gallstones treatment.
To know more about dissolving gallstones or surgical removal of gallstones, you can contact Pristyn Care. You can write to us below or even book online consultation to talk to our specialists.