Ideally, circumcision should not be delayed. If you have a medical condition that requires circumcision, then delaying it is not at all-wise. You may not realize it initially, but your problem might grow severe with time. Thus, do not feel hesitant to reach out to a specialist doctor regarding circumcision procedure. In addition to this, you should know that circumcision is a very common practice across India. Circumcision has its religious significance as well. In Islam, circumcision is carried out in newborn babies only. They consider it to be highly beneficial, for a male’s sexual health and that it keeps them safe with many health complications such as penile cancer. (Also Read: How The Procedure Of Circumcision Changed Over Time? )
Medical practitioners also acknowledge the health benefits of circumcision. If you are delaying circumcision, even after your doctor advises, you are causing trouble to yourself.
Facts related to Circumcision:
- Data released by WHO in 2010 showed that about 30 percent of adult males (above the age of 15 years) throughout the world were circumcised. (Also Read: Circumcised or Uncircumcised? How does it feel to a woman? )
- A study in the US showed that penile cancer in most cases affects exclusively uncircumcised men. 1 in every 600 uncircumcised men in the US has penile cancer.
- The risk of urinary tract infections is about 10 times more in uncircumcised men than in circumcised men.
- About 55-65 percent of infant boys are circumcised every year in the US. (Also Read: How To Treat Phimosis in Children? )
Here is an insight into the problems that can arise if you delay circumcision:
- Phimosis: Phimosis is a condition in uncircumcised men in which the foreskin cannot be retracted. The tight foreskin can lead to pain and several other complications and thus is a troublesome condition.
- Paraphimosis: In paraphimosis, the retracted foreskin cannot be pulled back to its original position to cover the head of the penis. It is an emergency medical condition that needs circumcision immediately. Paraphimosis affects the blood flow to the penis and can even lead to permanent damage to the penis.
- Balanitis: Balanitis is a condition in which the swelling occurs on the glans penis. Uncircumcised males are prone to balanitis due to a lack of proper hygiene. It is a painful condition and can cause many discomforts.
- Balanoposthitis: It is yet another serious condition seen in uncircumcised males. In balanoposthitis, inflammation occurs in both the glans penis and the foreskin. The major cause of balanoposthitis is poor hygiene. Balanoposthitis is a painful and irritating condition and needs proper and timely treatment.
So, in case you are already suffering from any of the said conditions and are already advised by your doctor for circumcision, you should undergo the procedure. If you delay further, you are at the risk of worsening of the aforementioned conditions. Thus, it is wise that you decide promptly and keep further problems at bay.
Also, it’s a fact that uncircumcised men have higher chances of contracting urinary tract infections. They also run a higher risk of transmission of STD’s in comparison to circumcised men. It is because the harmful microorganisms get favorable conditions under the foreskin to grow rapidly. Thus, it is right to conclude that timely circumcision can save you from a lot of trouble.
If you are worried about the procedure of circumcision all this while, then fret not. It is an absolutely safe procedure that only specialist doctors perform. With the advances in the healthcare field, modern procedures of circumcision have come into existence. Laser circumcision is the most advanced and safest procedure. Nowadays, doctors prefer laser circumcision as it is minimally invasive. The minimally invasive procedure means that it involves no incision and is a painless procedure.
Let’s know further in detail about laser circumcision.
This procedure of circumcision uses a high precision laser beam to remove the foreskin. There are no wounds, stitches or scars, and hence no blood loss in the laser procedure. It hardly takes 15-20 minutes to complete the entire procedure. The patient can go back home on the same day as the procedure. And, there is no long downtime after laser circumcision, it ensures complete recovery in just 3-5 days. You can also resume your normal routine from the next day, except for strenuous activities. Thus, it is certainly the best procedure of circumcision. If you want to get rid of all the pain and troubles related to the foreskin, laser-circumcision is the best option.
Some of the health benefits of circumcision are:
- Easier Hygiene: It is easier to maintain the hygiene of a circumcised penis than an uncircumcised one. Circumcision prevents the dead skin tissues, bacteria or sweat from accumulating under the foreskin.
- Decreased risk of UTIs: Urinary tract infections are more common in uncircumcised males than in circumcised males. If these UTIs become serious, they can lead to kidney problems as well.
- Decreased risk of sexually transmitted diseases: Some studies show that circumcision can lower the risks of STIs like HIV, syphilis, gonorrhoea, etc.
- Decreased risk of penile cancer: Although penile cancer is very rare, it is more common in uncircumcised males. The mortality rate due to penile cancer is quite high in the country. Also, the risk of cervical cancer in the sexual partners of circumcised men is lower.
Now that you are aware of the benefits that circumcision offers, you must not choose to delay the procedure further. And live a better quality life free of pain and discomfort.