The small intestine connects your stomach to your large intestine. You can have disorders in the small intestine if you consume a low fiber diet or do not exercise enough. If you are suffering from a lot of stress, then your bowel is also affected.
Sometimes you are unable to pass a bowel. With this, you might have some stomach pain and a swollen belly. This might not sound alarming but the condition can be serious. These are some factors that indicate a problem in the small intestine. Doctors might even recommend surgery in some cases.
What are the major reasons for small intestinal surgery?
The main reason for surgery is a bowel obstruction in the small intestine. This occurs when something blocks your bowel in the intestine. There are several reasons why your bowel could become blocked-
- Crohn’s disease- This is a type of inflammatory bowel disease. This causes inflammation of the tissues of your small intestine. People who have lower immunity or whose family has a history of Crohn’s disease, are more likely to suffer from this disease. You might get this disease due to environmental factors also. Some of the common symptoms you may experience include chronic diarrhea, loss of weight, abdominal pain and even severe cases of rectal bleeding also.
- Diverticulitis- In this type of disease, there is the formation of pouches along the walls of the intestines. These pouches can get inflamed or infected. This can cause small abscesses in one of the pouches to major infections or perforations of the bowel. You will feel severe abdominal pain and extreme fever if you suffer from this.
- Mesenteric ischemia- This occurs when the blood flow to your small intestine is restricted by the narrowing or blocking of the arteries. This can be both acute as well as chronic. If you have acute mesenteric ischemia then you’ll have continuous abdominal pain. While if you are suffering from chronic mesenteric ischemia, you’ll feel pain after half an hour after eating. This can only be treated with surgery.
- Small Bowel ulcers- These are nothing but ulcerations of the walls of the small intestine. These occur when you ingest certain medications. The treatment of small bowel ulceration involves surgery.
- Colon cancer- You should lookout for a change in bowel habits or rectal bleeding as these symptoms of colon cancer. This usually begins as a small polyp. This is detectable through a colonoscopy
- Radiation to the abdomen- If you have undergone a treatment in which you have received radiation in the abdominal area, then you are at risk of developing complications in your bowel.
How to prepare for a small intestine surgery?
You have to prepare yourself before a small intestine surgery in order to ensure 100% success.small intestine surgery in order to ensure 100% success.