How long does it take to recover post rhinoplasty?
The healing varies from patient to patient and depends on how better you take care of yourself post surgery. The recovery duration has different stages of healing and progress-
- The splint which is taped after surgery will be removed after seven days.
- There could be minor discomfort like swelling, bruising, redness and itching around the nose that will subside in few weeks with proper medication prescribed by the surgeon.
- Once the swelling is gone the texture of the nose will get softer and smoother in few months.
- Avoid going in the sun for few days after surgery.
- After 15-20 days, one can resume back to normal activities of day to day life.
What should I expect after rhinoplasty surgery?
You will find yourself with a splint to secure the new nose and the internal dressing will stay intact for one week. You might have slight bleeding or running mucus from nostrils but that is common post surgery and will recover in few days.
You should be avoiding any physical activities causing exertion in the body. Take baths rather than showers to escape dressing from being wet. One should avoid smoking until and unless properly healed and to recover a little quicker try eating healthy and high fiber foods.
Why should one go for Pristyn Care for Rhinoplasty surgery in Gurgaon?
To undergo rhinoplasty surgery one should always consider the best consultation. Our surgeons provide suitable and less stressful options during the consultation, as they are highly experienced and performing aesthetic surgeries for years. The surgeon sets the goal and gives you ideas about the aesthetic improvements rhinoplasty can do to the structure of the nose. We provide the advanced treatment that makes the surgeries smoother, we take care of patient’s safety and equipped the clinics with all the essentials.
What is non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Non-surgical rhinoplasty is the procedure in which injectable fillers are used to alter the shape of the nose. It is also known as a liquid nose job and is done with the help of derma fillers. Mostly hyaluronic acid, like Juvederm, calcium hydroxyapatite, or Restylane is used for this procedure. It is very effective in filling the depressed areas of the nose, lifting the tip, or smoothing out the bumps and bridges on the nose.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty is more like an augmentation procedure, hence, it cannot help to reduce the size of the nose. Like any surgical procedure, this non-surgical treatment has some risks and complications. So, if you want to change the nose shape through this technique, make sure that you have a detailed consultation and understand the risks and benefits of the procedure.
Difference between Open & Closed Rhinoplasty
Open and closed rhinoplasty are two different techniques that can be used to change the shape and structure of the nose. The key differences between these two techniques are explained below:
- Open rhinoplasty is done through an incision around the columella whereas, in closed technique, the incisions are made inside the nose.
- Open rhinoplasty allows the surgeon to measure the true anatomy of the nose and perform detailed and precise work. However, closed rhinoplasty limits the access of the surgeon to the internal structures.
- The open technique for nose jobs is effective but it may leave a scar whereas closed surgery doesn’t cause scarring on the face.
- Closed rhinoplasty takes less time to perform whereas open rhinoplasty requires longer for surgery as well as recovery.
- Open rhinoplasty is preferred when the patient is getting a revision nose job or needs major changes. However, closed surgery is done when the patient requires nasal bridge modifications or minor changes.
Recovery Timeline of Rhinoplasty
The rhinoplasty surgeon will explain the recovery timeline of the nose job. Typically, the final results of rhinoplasty will take around one year to become clearly visible. It may sound like a very long time but it is a critical period that will determine whether rhinoplasty surgery was worth it.
- Week 1- The doctor will remove the splint from the nose and you can go out in public. There will still be visible bruising around the eyes.
- Week 2- The swelling and bruising around the eyes will subside and it will be safe to resume daily activities.
- Week 3-4- You can perform activities like jogging, swimming, cycling, and other cardiovascular exercises.
- Week 6- The bone and cartilage will take a stable shape and you can start working out, wearing glasses, and even blowing your nose.
- Week 3-6- The numbness in the nose will resolve completely and your sense of smell will also improve.
- 1 Year- The healing process will be complete and the nose’s shape will be refined.
You can speed up the healing process by listening to the doctor’s advice and taking proper care of your nose.
Recovery Tips After Rhinoplasty Surgery
Many people don’t realize this but the recovery period is the most crucial phase to get the desired results from rhinoplasty surgery. You will be able to achieve the best results by following the recovery tips below:
- Keep the swelling in control by using an ice pack or cooling pads. This will help to alleviate the pressure and reduce puffiness in the treated area. It will also promote faster healing by constricting the blood flow to the nose.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medicines unless prescribed by your doctor. These medicines can increase the swelling and blood flow that will slow down the healing process.
- Do not take painkillers or any other medicines without consulting with the doctor. Talk to the doctor to get a specific dosage for the pain medications to ensure that the medicine doesn’t cause any adverse reactions or hinder the healing process.
- Take sufficient time off your work or school to focus on healing. Give your body proper rest to recover quickly. Minimize physical activities to prevent stress and injury to the nose.
- Take a bath rather than having a shower. You will have bandages, splints, and supports in and around the nose. They should not get wet until removed by the doctor. Hence, for at least the first week, you’ll have to wash your face with a damp cloth around the bandages.
- Eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water during the recovery. This will ensure that you are getting plenty of nutrients that promote faster healing. Drinking plenty of water will help to flush out toxins from the body, reducing the chances of infection.
- Avoid blowing your nose unless it has healed properly and the support devices are removed. If you blow the nose while the splint is inside, it may dislodge or shift them. This can injure the nose and compromise the healing process.
- Make sure that you stay away from peppery and spicy foods that can cause irritation in your nose, especially in the early stages of healing. Reduce your salt intake as much as possible. Excessive salt intake will increase the swelling and pressure around the surgical site. Therefore, it is best to avoid salty foods or add salt to food items.
- Try to keep your head elevated most of the time, especially during sleeping or resting. Place a pillow under your head to keep the fluid from building up around the face.
Take post-surgery follow-up appointments with the doctor to ensure that your nose is healing properly after rhinoplasty. The doctor will monitor whether the results are closer to what you desire or not. The doctor will also check if the splints or bandages need replacement.