The plastic surgeon will conduct a thorough examination to check the skin condition of the patient. The diagnosis before liposuction is essential as the doctor could rule out any possible risk before initiating the treatment. The diagnosis of liposuction include:
- The doctor will ask about your medical history, current medication if taking any, and expectation regarding liposuction treatment.
- The surgeon will check the elasticity of your skin to choose the best technique for the liposuction treatment.
- There is a high possibility that the doctor will recommend a few diagnostic tests such as prognostic test, blood tests, urine culture, and qualitative testing before starting the liposuction treatment.
There are various liposuction techniques that doctors can employ during the procedure.
- Tumescent liposuction- In this technique, the doctor first pumps saline solution with some chemicals below the fatty area to be reduced.
- Dry liposuction- The doctor simply suctions out the fat without injecting any fluids.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction- After making the incisions, the cannula is energized with ultrasound that helps to break down the fat. This method makes it easier for the fat to suction out.
- Power-assisted liposuction- With the help of a specialized cannula, the surgeon drains excess fat from the body.
- Laser-Assisted Lipolysis- Through the cannula, a small tube is inserted through which laser energy is emitted. This heats the fat under the skin and removes fat easily.
- VASER technique- The VASER or the Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance technique relies on the ultrasound waves to break the stubborn fat cells.
The procedure starts with the administration of anesthesia- local or general through an intravenous channel. Once the patient is sedated, the doctor makes small incisions that are almost unnoticeable. Through these incisions, the doctor inserts a cannula which is a hollow tube in a to and fro motion to loosen the fat. Once the fat loosens, with the help of a surgical vacuum or syringe the fat is suctioned out of the body.