How to prepare for the PCNL procedure?
Your doctor or healthcare institute generally provides instructions before the PCNL procedure to help your prepare for the surgery. Since there are tiny incisions involved, you may be recommended to bring someone along with you to drive you back home. Here is how you can prepare for your PCNL surgery –
- Inform your urologist about any ongoing medicines or health conditions before the PCNL surgery.
- Do not consume aspirin or blood thinners before the surgery. If you have to take any medications, discuss them with your doctor.
- Carry your diagnostic tests reports with you on the day of surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to avoid discomfort around the surgical site.
- Stop smoking tobacco or anything else before the surgery.
- Inform your doctor about any allergies related to anesthesia.
- Do not eat or drink 8 to 9 hours prior to the surgery, as it can delay the effects of anesthesia.
What to expect after PCNL?
Here is what you can expect after the PCNL surgery –
- You will be under the effect of anesthesia which means you will be dizzy after the surgery. You will be moved to an observational room after the surgery to monitor your progress.
- You may experience blood in the urine, which can last for several days to several weeks.
- There may be mild pain due to the insertion of ureteral stents. Your doctor may prescribe you some medications after the surgery to reduce pain and discomfort due to stents.
- You may be discharged the following day if the doctor does not suspect any complications.
- The urologist will prescribe medications such as antibiotics and pain relievers for stent pain to ease the process of recovery.
Recovery after PCNL
While Percutaneous nephrolithotripsy is a safe procedure, it may take several days for you to start feeling better. Your kidney stone specialist will provide you with a set of instructions that will help you during your recovery process. Post-surgery PCNL recovery instructions include the following –
- Drink plenty of fluids to help flush out the blood and stone fragments from the body.
- You may have a mild burning sensation with urination that usually lasts several days following the surgery. The doctor may prescribe Tylenol to help ease the pain.
- You will be given pain relievers for severe pain as the stones are expelled from the body.
- In most cases, you can return to work several days after the procedure.
- Keep your doctor informed of your recovery progress and visit for post-surgery consultations whenever you can.
Benefits of PCNL surgery
PCNL being an advanced procedure, offers several benefits over conventional surgeries due to the nature of tiny cuts and incisions. Moreover, when the size of the stone is greater than 20mm, the success rate of PCNL is higher than any other surgical procedure with minimal complications. Some of the benefits of percutaneous nephrolithotripsy include the following –
- Minimal incision
- No-visible scars
- Almost no bleeding
- Painless procedure
- Faster recovery
- Minimal complications as compared to open surgery for large stones
- Shorter hospital stay
- Outpatient procedure
- Stone-free rate after the procedure is greater than 90%
- Resume daily activities within a week
Why Choose Pristyn Care for PCNL procedure in Chennai?
Pristyn Care is a full-stack healthcare service provider that offers several benefits in terms of surgery experience and financial assistance. Our associated hospitals are equipped with the latest technology and modern infrastructure for a high success rate. Some of the benefits of choosing Pristyn Care for your PCNL procedure in Chennai include –
- 15+ years of experienced urologists
- State-of-the-art facility
- Latest tools and equipment
- Assistance with paperwork for Insurance approval
- Flexible payment options
- Free pick-up and drop facility on the day of PCNL surgery
- Free follow-up consultations after the surgery
- COVID-19 safe environment
Book an appointment with our experienced urologists for your PCNL procedure.
Here is how you can book an appointment with some of the best urologists in Chennai through Pristyn Care –
- Fill out the patient form on our website www.pristyncare.com. A team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest to gather details from your end once the appointment form is submitted. The appointment will be subsequently fixed with the concerned urologist according to your schedule.
- Connect directly with our medical coordinators via the contact number on our website. A team of dedicated medical coordinators will gather inputs from your end and connect you with the kidney stones doctor near your area for your PCNL procedure and book your appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online video consultation with the kidney stones specialist near your area at the earliest via video call.