Surgical Methods for Kidney Stone Removal
Let us understand the four major surgical procedures performed for the removal of kidney stones, depending on the size and location of the stones:
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy [ESWL]: This is a non-invasive procedure for the removal of kidney stones. In this procedure, the surgeon uses a series of shock waves generated by a machine known as a lithotripter. The shock waves are focussed onto the renal stone externally through the skin and tissues to break them into smaller fragments. Once the stones are broken down, they are flushed out of the body through urine. This procedure can take multiple sittings to completely break the stones. The whole procedure is performed under general or spinal anesthesia to make sure that the patient does not feel any sort of pain or discomfort throughout the entire procedure.
- Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery [RIRS]: This is one of the most advanced methods of treating kidney stones that are of the size of 8mm to 14mm. Performed under the influence of anesthesia, the surgeon in this procedure inserts a double JJ stent into the ureter via the urethra. The stent enlarges the urethral passage for a smooth movement of the stones. The surgeon then uses a thin, flexible endoscope, fitted with a tiny laser at the end of it. The surgeon uses x-rays and imaging tests to locate the stones and accordingly break them into smaller fragments with the help of the laser. This procedure may require multiple sittings to completely break the stones and flush them out of the body. Once the stones are flushed out, the stents will be removed. However, in the case of a staghorn calculus [type of kidney stone that resembles the horns of a stag], it may take a while longer for the surgeon to completely break the stones.
- Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy [URSL]: This procedure is carried out when the size of the stone is between 8mm to 14mm. During this procedure, the patient is first administered spinal anaesthesia to sedate the lower half of the body. The surgeon in the procedure may choose to insert stents through the ureteral passage for a smooth movement of the stones. A medical equipment known as ureteroscope is passed through the ureter with a camera and laser attached to the end. The camera guides the surgeon by providing live images of the organs and tissues inside the body. The stones are then subsequently broken down into smaller pieces with laser and are flushed out through urine. Once the stones are completely removed, the surgeon removes the stents.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy [PCNL]: This is a minimally invasive surgery for the removal of Kidney stones that are larger than 14mm. Performed under the influence of anesthesia, the surgeon begins the procedure by making a keyhole incision of about 1cm on the lower back area. The surgeon then inserts medical equipment known as a nephoscope through the incision to break the stones into smaller pieces. The stones are then removed after breaking them up into small fragments. Once the stones are removed, the surgeon closes the wound/incisions using surgical sutures.
Get Advanced Kidney Stone Treatment In Chennai
Kidney stones are one of the most common urological problems faced by people around the world. According to studies, kidney stones affect nearly 10 percent of the world’s population at some point in their life. The condition can cause intense pain and if treatment is delayed, serious problems can arise.
People in Chennai who are dealing with the symptoms of kidney stones can get in touch with a specialist at Pristyn Care. Pristyn Care is associated with the best urologists in Chennai and we offer advanced treatment procedures for kidney stones. We work in partnership with well-reputed hospitals in the city and we assure you a safe and effective treatment.
How to prepare for kidney stone removal surgery in Chennai?
There are a set of instructions given by the hospital or your urologist before your kidney stone treatment in Coimbatore. Here are some pre-surgery instructions for kidney stone removal surgery –
- Inform your doctor of any current medical condition.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to the day of the kidney stone removal procedure. It can hinder the effect of anesthesia and or cause medical problems.
- If you smoke or consume alcohol, stop smoking and drinking.
- Inform your doctor of any ongoing medications. Some medicines such as blood thinners shouldn’t be taken before the surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to avoid pressure on the surgical site.
What to expect after your kidney stone removal surgery procedure?
The patient is usually under the effects of anesthesia after the surgery and may suffer from mild dizziness and discomfort in case of stent insertion. Patients who have undergone invasive surgery may feel slight numbness around the site of the incision. Doctors at Pristyn Care guide you through the recovery period and monitor your health regularly to ensure you are in the best of your health. You may experience the following after your kidney stone surgeries –
- A small amount of bleeding in your urine for a few days to a few weeks after the surgery due to stent insertion.
- Mild pain and nausea as the stones are expelled from the body after the treatment.
- Some bruising on the back or side after your shock waves lithotripsy procedure.
Benefits of choosing advanced surgical treatment for kidney stone removal:
The modern surgeries for kidney stones – laparoscopic surgery, SWL (shockwave lithotripsy), and laser lithotripsy are safe and highly reliable. Choosing these surgeries for the permanent treatment of kidney stones offers the following benefits:
- Minimally invasive surgery- does not require any major incisions or stitches
- Painless surgery and minimal bleeding during the procedure
- No long stays in the hospital required – Discharge on the same day for laser procedure and SWL, and one-day stay for laparoscopic surgery
- No major lifestyle restrictions post surgery
- Negligible risk of complications or side effects
- Fast and complication-free recovery in just 5-6 days
Experienced and skilled doctors for kidney stone treatment in Chennai
We are honored to work with some of the most experienced and highly trained urologists and surgeons for kidney stone treatment in Chennai. The doctors have acquired all the necessary training and are recognized by reputed medical associations for their remarkable work in this field. Our specialists have a minimum of 5 years of experience in performing successful kidney stone surgeries. You can get a detailed private consultation with one of our kidney stone specialists in Chennai, near you by booking an online appointment.
Complications of untreated kidney stones
Kidney stone is a major condition that usually results in unbearable pain. However, people are at greater risk if they ignore the symptoms by prolonging the treatment. It can lead to several complications that can eventually become life-threatening-
- Hydronephrosis – When the stone blocks the ureteral passage, it creates difficulty for the urine to completely drain out from the kidneys. This leads to the accumulation of urine in the kidneys, causing swelling of a kidney. Hydronephrosis can occur in one or both kidneys, depending on the size and number of stones.
- Renal scarring – Urinary tract infection is a common bacterial illness that occurs due to prolonged kidney stones in the ureter. These stones can cause continuous scarring around the stone damaging the tissues and organs around the kidneys causing permanent renal failure.
- Kidney failure – Prolonged kidney stones can cause loss of kidney functions which can result in the need to remove either of the kidneys (nephrectomy).
Advantages of choosing Pristyn Care for kidney stone treatment in Chennai.
Pristyn Care is a full-stack healthcare service provider associated with some of the best hospitals and clinics across the country. The aim is to ease the process of accessing advanced treatment and surgeries for every patient at minimal costs. Pristyn Care has some of the best urologists and kidney stone specialists with years of experience in PCNL, RIRS, URSL, and ESWL. Most kidney stones surgeries are daycare which do not involve any incision (except for PCNL, which involves minimal incision) and offer faster recovery. Some of the benefits of choosing Pristyn Care for kidney stones treatment are –
- Highly experienced urologists- Our team of kidney stones surgeons are fully trained and certified to perform painless surgeries with a success rate of over 95%. Our urologists will discuss all the necessary information about kidney stones before the surgery. This allows our surgeons to offer comprehensive treatment and make our patients aware of the certain risks involved during the treatment.
- Care Buddy- Pristyn Care has a unique concept of ‘care buddy’ who is present with the patient on the day of the surgery. This care buddy takes care of all the paperwork and various formalities from admission to the hospital till discharge.
- Insurance approval- A dedicated team at Pristyn Care assists with the insurance approvals for kidney stones surgeries within 30 minutes. However, the insurance approval depends on the type of your insurance company and the terms and conditions set by them. Our team of experts will do their best to help you claims any benefits from the medical insurance.
- Flexible payment options- Pristyn Care offers various modes of payments for kidney stones surgeries with no cost EMI. In addition, we accept credit cards and cash payments for the procedure.
- Free pick-up and drop facility- Pristyn Care provides free cab services for pick-up and drop-off to each patient within the city on the day of kidney stones surgery.
- Free follow-up consultation- A smooth and faster recovery is essential after the treatment. Pristyn Care provides free follow-up consultation and proper diet charts to all the patients who have undergone kidney stones surgery for a quick recovery process.
- COVID-19 safe environment – During the COVID crisis, Pristyn Care ensures proper sanitization of all the OTs and clinics before each surgery to curb the spread of the COVID. It is our top priority to maintain excellent hygiene and social distancing while providing a seamless patient experience.
Booking an Appointment with the best urologist for kidney stones surgery in Chennai
Pristyn Care has some of the best urologists with adequate training and years of experience in kidney stone surgeries. Our doctors and surgeons are upskilled in performing advanced treatment for the best results. You can book an appointment with the kidney stones doctors at Pristyn Care to get rid of excruciating kidney stones pain in the following ways:
- You can fill out the patient form on our website www.pristyncare.com. A team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest to gather details from your end once the appointment form is submitted. The appointment will be subsequently fixed with the concerned urologist according to your schedule.
- You can directly connect with our medical coordinators via the contact number on our website. A team of dedicated medical coordinators will gather inputs from your end and connect you with the kidney stones doctor near your area and book your appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online consultation with our kidney stones experts near your area at the earliest via video call. A nominal consultation fee will be charged.