What are the different kidney stone removal surgeries?
There are four major surgeries for kidney stones depending on the size and location of the stones:
- ESWL or Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy is a non-invasive procedure for kidney stone treatment where the surgeon uses a series of shock waves generated by a machine called a lithotripter. The shock waves are focused onto the renal stone externally through skin and tissue to break them into smaller fragments which are flushed out of the body via urine. The procedure can take multiple sittings to completely break the stones. The whole procedure is done under local or spinal anesthesia to reduce the pain during the procedure.
- URSL or Ureteroscopic lithotripsy is done when the size of the stone is between 8mm to 14mm. The patient is first administered spinal anesthesia to sedate the lower half of the body. The surgeon may choose to insert stents to enlarge the ureteral passage for smooth movement of stones. A piece of medical equipment called a ureteroscope is passed through the ureter with a camera and laser attached to the other end. The camera guides the surgeon by providing live images of the organs and tissues inside the body. The stones are subsequently broken into smaller pieces via laser which is then flushed out through urine. Once the stones are completely removed, the surgeon removes the stents.
- RIRS or Retrograde intrarenal surgery is one of the advanced methods to treat kidney stones of size 8mm to 14mm. After the patient is given general or spinal anesthesia, the surgeon begins by inserting a double JJ stent into the ureter via the urethra. Stents enlarge the ureteral passage for smooth movement of stones. The Urologist, then, uses a thin, flexible endoscope fitted with a tiny laser on the other end. X Rays and imaging tests guide the surgeon to locate the stones and subsequently break them into smaller fragments with tiny lasers. RIRS may require multiple sitting to completely break the stones and flush them out of the body. After the stones are flushed out, the surgeon removes the stents. thoroughly flush out the stone. In the case of staghorn calculus (a type of kidney stone that resembles the horns of a stag), the surgeon will follow the same procedure but may take longer to break the stone completely.
- PCNL or Percutaneous nephrolithotomy is a minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of kidney stones of sizes greater than 14mm. The anesthesiologist administers general anesthesia before the surgery to ensure a painless procedure. The surgeon begins the procedure with a keyhole incision (around 1cm) on the flank area (lower back area). A piece of medical equipment called a nephroscope is inserted through one of the incisions to break the stones into smaller pieces. Once the stones are broken, the surgeon removes the stones and the wound is shut using surgical sutures.
What will happen if I do not get the treatment for kidney stones?
Surgery for kidney stones is necessary to avoid complications. There can be several risks and complications if you do not undergo kidney stone surgery –
- Kidney stones can cause hydronephrosis which is a serious medical condition. It is caused due to a blockage in the ureter due to kidney stones.
- Kidney stones can also turn into chronic kidney disease. You can develop more stones in the kidney if you do not undergo treatment.
- Untreated kidney stones can clog the ureter and form kidney infections.
- Untreated kidney stones can cause complications, such as infection, fever, or blood in the urine, which can be particularly dangerous.
Preparation for kidney stone treatment?
Preparing for surgery is important. The doctor or healthcare institute generally provides a set of instructions before the surgery to all its patients for a smooth surgery experience. Patients can become anxious thinking about the surgery. Here are some tips for surgery preparation –
- You must inform your Urologist about any ongoing medications and health conditions before the surgery.
- It is also important to inform the doctor regarding any allergies associated with anesthesia in your family.
- Stop smoking tobacco before your kidney stones surgery.
- Consult the doctor before taking any prior medication before your surgery to avoid any complications during the surgery.
- Doctors do not recommend eating or drinking anything 8 to 9 hours prior to the surgery as it can delay the effects of anesthesia. In a worse case, the surgery can be postponed.
- Have someone drive you home after the surgery since doctors do not recommend exertion after the surgery.
- The doctor may also insert stents in your ureter via the urethra. Therefore it is recommended you shave your genitals for ease of surgery.
Post-surgery care is essential for a quick and effective recovery. Post-surgery care involves preventive measures and dietary tips by the doctor for a successful treatment. Post-surgery care include the following –
- The Urologist prescribes medication to relax and open your ureter for a certain period after the surgery and prevent
- The surgeon may collect your kidney stone pieces to test them and prescribe medications to prevent a recurrence.
- Drink plenty of fluid to stay hydrated.
Why choose Pristyn Care for kidney stone treatment in Mumbai?
- Highly experienced Urologists- Pristyn Care has a team of highly experienced kidney stones surgeons who are fully trained and certified to perform advanced kidney stone surgeries. Our Urologists offer comprehensive treatment and discuss all the necessary information regarding kidney stones surgery. and make our patients aware of the certain risks involved during the treatment.
- Personal Care Buddy- Pristyn Care has a unique concept of a ‘personal care buddy’ who is present with the patient on the day of the surgery. This individual is responsible for all the paperwork and various formalities from admission to the hospital till discharge.
- Insurance approval- A dedicated team at Pristyn Care assists with the insurance approvals for kidney stones surgeries within 30 minutes. However, the insurance approval depends on the type of your insurance policy and the terms and conditions set by your insurance provider. Our team of experts will do their best to help you claim any benefits from the medical insurance.
- Flexible payment options- Pristyn Care offers various modes of payments for kidney stones surgeries with no cost EMI. In addition, we accept credit cards and cash payments for the procedure.
- Free pick-up and drop facility- Pristyn Care provides free cab services for pick-up and drop-off to each patient within the city on the day of kidney stones surgery.
- Free follow-up consultation- Pristyn Care provides free follow-up consultation and diet plans to all the patients who have undergone kidney stones surgery for a quick and smooth recovery process.
- COVID-19 safe environment – Pristyn Care ensures proper sanitization of all the OTs and clinics before each surgery to curb the spread of the COVID. It is our top priority to maintain excellent hygiene and social distancing while providing a seamless patient experience.
How to book an appointment with kidney stone specialists at Pristyn Care in Mumbai?
- Fill out the patient form that is on this page. A team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest and gather details from your end. An appointment will be subsequently fixed with the concerned Urologist according to your schedule.
- You can directly connect with our medical coordinators via the contact number on our website. Medical coordinators connect you with some of the best kidney stones doctors near your area and book your appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online consultation with our kidney stones experts near your area at the earliest via video call. A nominal consultation fee will be charged.