Different types of kidney stones
Knowing the type of kidney stone is necessary to determine the best line of treatment and reduce the risk of getting the stones again in the future. Following are the different types of kidney stones:
Calcium stones – These are the most common type of kidney stones a person may develop. Calcium stones form due to deposits of calcium oxalate. Causes of calcium stones include high amounts of vitamin D, ill-dietary habits, intestinal bypass surgery, and metabolic disorders.
Struvite stones – Struvite stones may form from a urinary tract infection. These stones grow faster than any other type and do not show any symptoms in most cases.
Uric acid stones – These stones often form when people lose too much water from their bodies due to conditions like chronic diarrhea. They can also form when a person’s protein intake is too high. Genetic factors like diabetes can also be a reason for uric acid stones.
Cystine stones – People with a hereditary disorder called cystinuria can develop kidney stones. Cystinuria is a condition in which the kidneys excrete too much amino acid.
Benefits of Advanced Kidney Stone Removal Surgeries at Pristyn Care
- 30 minutes procedure
- 1-day hospital stay
- Faster and pain-free recovery
- More effective and simpler compared to traditional surgery for kidney stones
- Minimal to no blood loss and postoperative discomfort
- Less downtime from regular activities
- No risks, complications, recurrence, or side effects
- No surgical scar after recovery
- Resume work within 48 hours
Book an appointment with the best urologist in Mumbai for kidney stones treatment
There are three easy ways to book an appointment with the best urologist for kidney stones surgery at Pristyn Care:
- Call the number mentioned on the page to speak to our medical coordinator, and they will book an appointment with a well-experienced urologist in Mumbai on your behalf after knowing all your requirements.
- Fill in the form ‘Book Your Appointment’ with all the required details, and our medical coordinator will call you at the earliest to provide you complete assistance regarding kidney stones treatment in Mumbai.
- Download the Pristyn Care mobile application to book an online consultation with the best urologist in Mumbai for kidney stones treatment.
Different treatment options for kidney stones based on the size and location of the stone.
Kidney stones or renal calculi occur in different shapes or sizes depending on how long they are present in the body. Sometimes, these renal stones are minute and get flushed out through urine without medications or therapies. However, some stones can be stubborn and keep on accumulating over a period of time. Renal stones of such stubborn nature often obstruct ureteral passage or even form staghorn calculus. Some of the treatment options for kidney stones are as below-
Non-surgical methods – When the size of the stone is less than 5mm, urologists usually recommend non-surgical procedures for removing kidney stones. These may include home remedies, therapeutic medicines, medications such as pain-relievers, etc., that can help flush out kidney stones. The doctors usually recommend drinking excess water and staying hydrated to increase the fluid concentration in the urine. Several medications for kidney stones include –
- Ibuprofen (Advil) for pain
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain
- Naproxen sodium (Aleve) for pain
- Allopurinol (Zyloprim) for uric acid stones
- Thiazide diuretics to prevent calcium stones from forming
- Phosphorus solutions to prevent calcium stones from forming
- Sodium bicarbonate or sodium citrate to make the urine less acidic
In addition, the doctor may recommend some alpha-blockers such as tamsulosin (Flomax), dutasteride, etc., that can help the muscles in your ureter relax, making it easier for you to pass the stone quickly and with less pain.
Surgical methods – Surgical or less invasive procedures are regarded as the most effective way to treat large kidney stones. Doctors usually recommend surgical procedures for kidney stones if the size of the stones is greater than 5mm. There are 4 procedures to remove kidney stones –
- Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithotripsy (URSL) – It is a non-invasive surgery that uses external shockwaves to break the stones into smaller pieces. The patient is administered spinal anesthesia to reduce the pain as the stones are flushed out of the body. ESWL is a conventional procedure that may require multiple sittings to break the stones completely.
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy/Nephrolithotripsy (PCNL) – PCNL is an advanced procedure to treat kidney stones of size greater than 14mm. It is also known as tunnel surgery due to the nature of small incisions. It involves small incisions near the flank area while the patient is under general anesthesia. The surgeon then uses a nephroscope to locate and break the stones into smaller pieces. If the stone is removed in its intact state, it is called nephrolithotomy, and if the stone is broken into smaller fragments, it is termed as nephrolithotripsy.
- Retrograde Intrarenal Surgery (RIRS) – RIRS is an advanced procedure to treat kidney stones with sizes between 8mm to 15mm. The patient is first administered with either spinal or general anesthesia. The doctor then inserts a thin, flexible endoscope attached with a tiny laser on the other end. The stones are subsequently broken into smaller fragments and flushed out through urine. The surgeon may choose to insert DJ stents before RIRS treatment. Stents enlarge the passage of the urinary tract for smooth movement of stones. The stents are removed when the stones are thoroughly flushed out of the body.
- Ureteroscopic lithotripsy (URSL) – Similar to RIRS, ureteroscopic lithotripsy also uses a thin ureteroscope that is attached to the camera and laser on the other end. URSL is also an effective surgical option for moderately sized kidney stones. The camera guides the surgeon inside the body to locate and break the stones. The urologists may insert ureteral stents to ease the movement of stones during the expulsion.
Booking an Appointment with the best kidney stones doctor in Mumbai
Pristyn Care has some of the best urologists with adequate training and years of experience in kidney stone surgeries. Our doctors and surgeons are upskilled in performing advanced treatment for the best results. You can book an appointment with the kidney stones doctors at Pristyn Care to get rid of excruciating kidney stones pain in the following ways:
- You can fill out the patient form on our website www.pristyncare.com. A team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest to gather details from your end once the appointment form is submitted. The appointment will be subsequently fixed with the concerned urologist according to your schedule.
- You can directly connect with our medical coordinators via the contact number on our website. A team of dedicated medical coordinators will gather inputs from your end and connect you with the kidney stones doctor near your area and book your appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online consultation with our kidney stones experts near your area at the earliest via video call. A nominal consultation fee will be charged.