If you consult a doctor for treating anal fissure, the doctor will initially ask about your medical history and inspect your anal region by performing a physical examination. Depending upon the severity of your condition, the doctor will further recommend you to go through certain diagnostic tests like anoscopy, colonoscopy, and flexible sigmoidoscopy to rule out any other underlying condition.
Based on the diagnosis, if your condition is in the initial stages, the doctor may prescribe you to go through a number of non-surgical treatment procedures such as:
- Externally applied nitroglycerin (Rectiv) ointments to increase the blood flow, promote healing and help the anal sphincter to relax.
- Topical anesthetic creams such as Lidocaine hydrochloride (Xylocaine) to relieve the pain.
- Botulinum toxin type A (Botox) injection to relax spasms by paralyzing the anal sphincter muscles.
- Blood pressure medications like Procardia or Cardizem to help relax the anal sphincter muscles.
If your symptoms are severe or if you are diagnosed with a chronic anal fissure that is resistant to other treatments, the doctor might recommend you to go through a certain number of procedures that include:
- Lateral internal sphincterotomy (LIS): This is a surgical procedure during which cuts or incisions are made around the internal sphincter muscles in order to release the tension of the sphincter muscles and promote healing of the anal fissure.
- Laser Sphincterotomy: This is the best and safest procedure of treating anal fissure that involves the use of a laser fibre that emits high energy laser beams, directly focussed on the anal fissures to increase proper healing.
Among all the available treatments, laser-assisted surgical procedure is highly successful in treating anal fissure. It is a commonly preferred procedure as it involves minimal blood loss, no cuts, stitches or scars and the complications are also reduced to a greater extent. If you are suffering from severe symptoms, you can get in touch with Pristyn Care and consult the best proctologists in Mumbai to get your fissure wound treated in the safest and painless method.