What are the qualifications of a vascular surgeon?
In the past, vascular surgery was considered to be a part of general surgery, but now it has evolved into a separate specialty. Typically, to become a vascular surgeon, the surgeon needs to complete a five-year undergraduate MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree, followed by a 3 years vascular surgery postgraduate MS (Master of Surgery) specialization.
The specialization can be paired with other specialties, and a vascular surgeon can further specialize in cardiovascular surgery or cardiovascular thoracic surgery.
If you have a problem with blood circulation, you should visit a vascular surgeon. But for problems related to blood vessels surrounding the heart, a cardiovascular surgeon is the best. Similarly, if your health issue is related to the organs in the thoracic cavity, i.e., the heart, lungs, esophagus,, etc., you should consult a thoracic surgeon.
What surgeries are provided by Pristyn Care vascular surgeons in Hyderabad?
A vascular surgeon can diagnose and treat all problems related to the lymph vessels, arteries and veins, and blood circulation through them. Common vascular surgeries performed by vascular surgeons for the treatment of vascular issues are:
- Varicocelectomy: It is the procedure for the removal of varicocele, i..e, varicose veins in the scrotum. It can be performed as open, laparoscopic, and microscopic surgery. In some cases, non-surgical management through percutaneous embolization may also be performed.
- Vein ligation & stripping: It is an extensive surgery performed to remove large varicose veins from the legs. It is only performed for the most severe cases of varicose veins.
- Thrombectomy: It is the surgical removal of blood clots from the deep veins of the body. It can be performed as an open surgery or percutaneously (minimally invasive surgery).
- Phlebectomy: It is the most preferable procedure for moderate to severe varicose veins. During the surgery, the surgeon makes minute cuts to remove the varicose veins so there is little to no scarring.
- Sclerotherapy: Sclerotherapy is a noninvasive procedure for the treatment of spider veins and minor varicose veins.
- Angioplasty: A balloon angioplasty can be performed for peripheral or carotid arteries that have narrowed due to fat deposition or some other reason.
- AV fistula creation and management: AV fistula surgery is performed for AV fistula creation in patients with chronic kidney disease who have to undergo dialysis for a long time.
When should an individual consult a vascular surgeon?
You should consult a vascular surgeon if you have symptoms of vascular problems. Some common vascular issues and their symptoms are listed below:
- Varicose veins: Varicose veins are swollen, twisted veins that occur just below the skin due to improper blood flow. Their symptoms include pain in legs, swollen feet and ankles, burning feeling around varicose veins, raised bluish spider-like pattern on the legs, along with dry and itchy skin over the affected veins.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT): It is the formation of a blood clot in the deep veins of the leg that can eventually lead to pulmonary embolism, i.e., clot detachment and traveling to the lungs. Its symptoms are throbbing or cramping leg pain, leg swelling, red or darkened skin around the painful leg area, etc.
- Varicocele: Varicocele is a medical condition in which varicose veins are present in the scrotum. If not treated in time, it can severely affect fertility by causing testicular atrophy. Its symptoms include pain that increases if the patient is standing for a long time, soft mass in the scrotum, the difference in both testicular sizes, etc.
- Peripheral artery disease: In this condition, the arteries in the arms and legs become narrower, and blood supply decreases. Its symptoms include coldness in the lower leg or foot, leg numbness or weakness, painful cramps in the legs, hips, etc., and shiny skin on the legs.
There are many other vascular issues that are treated by vascular specialists. If you notice any of these, you should consult expert vascular surgeons in Hyderabad.
How to choose the best vascular surgeon in Hyderabad?
You can choose the best vascular surgeon in Hyderabad for your treatment by following the given tips:
- Check out the surgeon’s qualifications and background. Make sure they have specialized in vascular surgery medical specialty.
- Find out about the surgeon’s experience. If the surgeon has previous experience in treating your medical condition, then there is a higher chance of them performing your treatment successfully.
- Find out the best treatment option for you. Get a second opinion if you want. Make sure your chosen surgeon can perform the given treatment.
- Check out the surgeon’s online patient testimonials. If possible, talk to some of their past patients to find out about their patient care ability, past history, etc.
- Make sure they have a state-of-the-art clinic or are associated with an advanced hospital so that they can take proper care of you in case of an emergency or complication.
- If you have insurance, make sure they will accept your insurance policy while providing you with treatment.