What is the difference between an allergy and a cold?
Since both common cold and allergic rhinitis present with similar symptoms, it can be hard to distinguish between them. Given below is a checklist you can use to determine whether your symptoms are due to a cold or an allergy.
- Cough: Usually occurs in a cold, but only sometimes in allergies
- Body ache: Sometimes occurs in a cold, but never in an allergy
- Fatigue: Occurs sometimes in both colds and allergies
- Itchy eyes: Occur rarely in cold but usually in allergies
- Sneezing: Common in both colds and allergies
- Sore throat: Common in colds but rare in allergies
- Runny & stuffy nose: Common in both colds and allergies
- Fever: Occurs sometimes in colds but never with an allergy
Though both colds and allergies are treated differently, the treatment is performed by an ENT specialist. If you are looking for treatment for an ENT disorder, you can book an appointment at ENT clinics in at Pristyn Care.
Which conditions should I visit an ENT specialist for?
You should visit an ENT specialist if you are exhibiting any of the following symptoms:
- Hearing loss/Deafness
- Ear discharge
- Nasal blockage
- Nasal discharge
- Nasal bleeding
- Loss of smell
- Throat pain
- Common cold and cough
- Difficulty in breathing
- Difficulty in swallowing/ dysphagia
- Blood in sputum
- Speech/voice disorders
- Head and neck trauma
- Lump/ or swelling in the head and neck
Pristyn Care has the best ENT doctors in . Book a free consultation today for long-term relief from all your ear, nose and throat problems.
What questions should I ask an ENT doctor before my treatment?
While visiting an ENT doctor, you should ask your doctor the following questions before getting treatment:
- Can the problem be caused due to a lifestyle issue?
- Can certain medicines lead to ENT disorders?
- How can I determine if I have an allergy?
- What tests will I need for the diagnosis of my condition?
- Can my condition be treated medically?
- How long will I take to recover completely?
- Will there be any long-term complications or effects from the treatment?
- Can the problem recur? If so, what can I do to prevent recurrence?
- Can ENT problems cause symptoms in other parts of the body?