What is the difference between spider veins and varicose veins?
Spider veins and varicose veins are certainly related, but they are not the same condition. They have one cause, i.e., venous insufficiency. Other than that, there are some key differences between these venous disorders-
- Spider veins are tiny blue or red lines (capillaries) that are visible under the skin’s surface. Whereas varicose veins are twisted, bulging superficial veins that can be felt under the skin.
- Spider veins don’t usually cause swelling or have painful symptoms. Varicose veins can cause pain and other symptoms like a feeling of heaviness, discomfort, and swelling.
- Generally, spider veins are considered a cosmetic concern, and they don’t turn into varicose veins. However, varicose veins are considered a serious medical concern as they indicate that the venous problem has become severe.
In many cases, spider veins are caused by undiagnosed and asymptomatic varicose veins. Thus, it is crucial that you seek proper treatment for both of these conditions.
Why varicose veins should not be left untreated?
Many people believe that spider veins don’t have any underlying reason and are purely a cosmetic concern. However, spider veins can be a sign of an underlying venous problem, even varicose veins.
If you have bulging veins that are visible on the skin, you should not leave them untreated for a long time as they can lead to the following complications-
- Severe pain and swelling in the affected area that can ultimately cause immobility.
- Constant feeling of weakness or tiredness.
- Excessive bleeding may occur if the swollen vein is damaged in any way.
- Eventually, blood clots may start to form inside the veins, which can be life-threatening.
- Ulcers may also start to form in the affected area.
- The risk of developing deep vein thrombosis will increase significantly if the primary cause is venous insufficiency.
Many people delay seeking treatment for varicose veins and spider veins, thinking that it is a minor problem that will resolve on its own. However, in doing so, they are only endangering their health and life. So, whether you have spider veins or varicose veins, you should see a vascular specialist promptly.
Best Varicose Veins Treatment in Bangalore
At Pristyn Care, we provide advanced and minimally invasive treatment for venous problems. We have highly experienced spider veins and varicose veins doctors in Bangalore who are well-trained in all types of non-surgical and surgical procedures.
Our interventional radiologists and vascular doctors in Bangalore have 15+ years of experience in treating vascular problems effectively. We ensure that our patients receive top-quality care from experts at affordable prices.
We leverage the modern and conventional techniques to treat spider veins and varicose veins, such as sclerotherapy, foam sclerotherapy, endovenous laser therapy (EVLT), ligation and stripping, ambulatory phlebectomy, endothermal ablation, and endoscopic vein surgery. Our doctors will diagnose you thoroughly and suggest the most suitable treatment method accordingly.
Benefits of Choosing Pristyn Care for Varicose Veins treatment in Bangalore
With Pristyn Care, you get complete assistance from the beginning till the end of your treatment journey. Our medical and non-medical staff work together to make the journey comfortable and hassle-free. Throughout the country, we help people get the best-in-class treatment in every way possible. We provide:
- The most experienced spider veins and varicose veins doctor in Bangalore.
- Latest techniques for treatment of venous disorders.
- USFDA-approved diagnostic and surgical tools.
- Clean and hygienic medical centers.
- Free pick and drop service on the day of surgery.
- Discounts on diagnostic tests.
- Free post-surgery follow-ups and recovery plan.
- No-Cost EMI service to make advanced treatment affordable.
- Insurance paperwork and claim assistance.
Our medical coordinators assist the patients round-the-clock and ensure that they don’t have to worry about any aspect of the treatment.
How to prevent varicose veins formation?
A healthy lifestyle is important to prevent vascular problems, such as spider veins and varicose veins. Vascular problems arise when the vein health is affected, and the valves stop functioning properly due to excessively high or low pressure.
So, here are some tips that will improve your vascular health and prevent common problems-
- Do not sit or stand in the same position for a prolonged period. Try moving around every now and then to keep the blood flowing, especially in the legs.
- Spider veins and varicose veins most commonly form in the legs as those veins have to work extensively to circulate the blood against gravity. So, while you are sitting or sleeping, elevate your legs to make it easier for the veins to pump the blood.
- If you are overweight or obese, try losing weight. The extra body weight increases the pressure inside the veins, which makes it harder to pump blood.
- Engage in physical activities frequently to improve your overall health by improving blood circulation.
- Quit smoking permanently. Tobacco can severely degrade vascular health and make the veins thin and weak. As a result, the valves will also become weak, eventually leading to serious venous problems.
- Wear compression stockings if your work involves prolonged standing or sitting.
- Do not wear tight clothes as they restrict the blood flow and increase the risk of developing spider veins and varicose veins.
If you follow these points, you will be able to manage the conditions at an early stage. But if you don’t get relief from the symptoms and the condition continues to progress, you should seek timely treatment from experts.