Painful Sex Management
Painful sexual intercourse also termed as dyspareunia which is defined as the recurrent or persistent pain in genital while having sexual intercourse. The pain can occur before or after penetration which may be associated with the various physical or psychological factors. Treatments should be given to reduce the pain after analyzing the actual reasons.
Women have to face mental and emotional stress due to which they may feel disturbed all the time and it may also affect their marital relationship also. Some time the painful situation may raise when women is performing the sexual activity for first time or when women are not fully aroused which may lead to dryness into the vagina.
Symptoms of painful Sexual intercourse:-
The common symptoms which are indicating the sexual health problems are:-
- Pain during penetration
- Pain during putting tampon
- Deep pain during thrusting
- Burning sensation or aching pain
- Pain that may last till the intercourse
Regular pain may affect the sexual life and your partner may get irritated also so better to speak with the doctor when you face persistent sexual pain.
Causes of painful Sexual intercourse:-
There can be various reasons pertaining to painful sexual intercourse which may be related to physical abnormalities and mental situations. Here we are highlighting some of the common causes responsible for Painful Sexual intercourse:
- Not having enough lubrication: the stage is common in menopause ladies. Apart from that woman experiencing first time sex with fear, after childbirth and during breastfeeding may feel the lack of lubrication. This pain occurs during penetration only. Some medicines such as antidepressants, high blood pressure medications, sedatives, antihistamines and certain birth control pills may decrease lubrication.
- Injury, trauma or irritation raised by accident, pelvic surgery, episiotomy or female circumcision, vulva injury, vulvar dystrophy.
- Inflammation, infection or skin disorder, STDs etc.
- Vaginismus: These involuntary spasms of the muscles of the vaginal wall can make penetration painful.
- Congenital abnormality: includes vaginal agenesis and this could cause dyspareunia
- Certain illnesses and conditions which includes endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease, PID, Ectopic Pregnancy, uterine prolapse, retroverted uterus, uterine fibroids, cystitis, irritable bowel syndrome, hemorrhoids and ovarian cysts.
- Pelvic surgery, hysterectomy, cancer, radiation, and chemotherapy.
- Emotional factors including anxiety, depression, stress, family issues, fear of intimacy, relationship problems, sexual abuse etc are the most common factors responsible for dyspareunia.
Lack of foreplay can be the reason who are experiencing emotional stress. Apart from the above causes, the other factors connected with the painful sexual intercourse are:-
Diagnosis of Painful Sexual intercourse:-
The medical examination consists of the following checkups and tests which are:-
- Medical History Evaluation: Doctor will ask few questions about the sexual intercourse like when it pains, hurts, the severity of pain, sexual process, and history, sexual position, medication, lubricants and diet you intake.
- Pelvic Examination: Doctor may check the sign of skin irritation, infection or anatomical problems. The pelvic exam can be done by pushing or applying the gentle pressure on genital and pelvic muscles.
- Visual Examination: An instrument called speculum is used to separate the vaginal walls. women experiencing the painful sexual intercourse will also feel pain during that examination. The doctor will ask whether that pains or not.
- Other Tests include an ultrasound of the pelvic area to check for the internal injury or infection.
Treatments of Painful Sexual intercourse:-
The exact treatment will depend upon the causes and symptoms. The treatment may include the following:-
- Medications: this is prescribed in case of any infection or inflammation raised. Medicine can also be prescribed to correct the lubrication problems. Menopause women may have the low estrogen level for which topical estrogen applied directly to the vagina to offer the right amount of lubrication.
- Therapies include Desensitization, Sex therapy, and Cognitive behavioral therapy. Desensitization will make you learn vaginal relaxation exercises to decrease the pain. Sex therapy will help to counter the emotional problems so that women can feel comfortable while having sexual intercourse with the partner. Cognitive behavioral therapy can also be helpful in changing negative thought patterns and behaviors. The therapies and counseling will work better to treat the sexual intercourse problems who are suffering from the psychological issues.
- Lifestyle and Home Remedies: If the pain has become the routine part, it is better to change the lifestyle through applying home tips. This includes changing the sexual position as per the cause, communicating the partner before having sex, extra foreplay, being romantic or creating the happy atmosphere, using lubricants, and condoms.
The sexual activity can be improved with the support of both the partners. One should speak freely to each other about their problems and fear. If vaginal penetration becomes painful, your partner must find the right way of massaging, kissing and mutual masturbation techniques. To treat the sexual dysfunction or the stage of painful sexual intercourse, one must need to consult the nearest gynecologist in Gurgaon at Pristyn care Laser Clinic. A doctor will help to offer effective ways by listening to the problems carefully and providing right guidance & treatments thereof. Book an appointment today only and make your wedding life happier.