How do orthopedic doctors treat carpal tunnel syndrome?
Your course for treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome will begin with diagnosis. After a comprehensive, detailed examination and diagnosis, your orthopedic specialist will provide a personalized treatment plan, tailored as per your case. Depending on your condition and symptoms, your orthopedist might recommend bracing or wearing a splint to keep the wrist in a neutral position. Anti-inflammatory medications and steroid injections might also be recommended to relieve painful symptoms of CTS.
Your orthopedic doctor might also recommend physiotherapy, which will focus on nerve gliding exercises and help alleviate the symptoms. Patients involved in jobs or activities that involve repetitive use of hand and wrist, might be suggested activity changes to reduce the symptoms.
In severe cases, when nonsurgical treatments have not relieved your symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome, your orthopedist might bring the option of carpal tunnel release surgery. Call us today to find out if carpal tunnel syndrome is the cause of your painful symptoms and get a personalized treatment plan, based on your case.
What are the advantages of undergoing endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery?
Benefits of choosing the modern procedure of endoscopic carpal tunnel over conventional surgery has the following advantages –
- Smaller incision
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster and complication-free recovery
- Reduced postoperative pain
- Reduced risk of postoperative complications
- Lower risk of damage to the nearby nerves and blood vessels
Most orthopedic surgeons prefer to use modern, less invasive surgical techniques for various orthopedic surgeries as they involve a smaller incision (comparatively) and thus result in speedy recovery and shorter hospital stay. To know more about endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery and how it can help you, meet our specialist doctors for carpal tunnel treatment in Pune.
Orthopaedic Treatments we provide in Pune
Our team of orthopedic surgeons in Pune can diagnosis and treatment a wide range of conditions and can performing modern, less invasive orthopedic surgeries including-
- Carpal tunnel Release Surgery
- Knee Replacement
- Hip Replacement
- ACL Reconstruction
- Meniscus surgery
- PCL surgery
To know more about our orthopedic services in Pune, connect with us using the “Book Your Appointment” form or call us at 9311583423.
Meet the best orthopedic surgeons for carpal tunnel treatment in Pune
Connect with us and meet our trusted and renowned orthopedic specialists for carpal tunnel syndrome treatment in Pune who are trained and certified in the diagnosis and treatment of various joint and orthopedic problems. Call us today or fill the “Book Appointment form” present alongside. You can also book an online consultation with the doctor from anywhere you are.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Surgery
The surgical treatment for carpal tunnel syndrome is known as carpal tunnel release. A carpal tunnel release surgery can be performed under two different techniques. Both aim at relieving the pressure on the median nerve by increasing the size of the carpal tunnel, by severing the ligament that forms the roof of the tunnel. The two techniques of carpal tunnel release surgery are:
- Open carpal tunnel release surgery: A small incision is made in the palm of your hand to view the inside of the wrist. During the procedure, your doctor will cut the transverse carpal ligament to increase the size of the tunnel and relieve the pressure on the median nerve.
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery: Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery involves a smaller insertion and uses a miniature camera to see the inside of the hand and wrist. A special instrument is used to sever a part of the carpal ligament which reduces the pressure on the median nerve.
Carpal Tunnel Surgery- Endoscopic vs Open Surgery
- Incision size- Size of open carpal tunnel surgery incision is usually 3 to 4 cm.
- Endoscopic carpal tunnel incision size is approximately 1 cm, which is much smaller.
- Blood loss- Due to the smaller incisions, there is minimal blood loss in case of endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery.
- Recovery Period- Recovery period after endoscopic carpal tunnel release is much smaller as compared to open surgery.
- Risks and complications- Risk of infection, complications, hand pain and scar tenderness is higher following an open surgery as compared to endoscopic surgery.
How is endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery performed?
Endoscopic carpal tunnel surgery is performed in the hospital under the influence of anesthesia. An endoscope is inserted through one incision. The endoscope has a camera on its end, which allows the doctor to look for any pathology or anomaly. The endoscope presents an image on the television screen that allows the surgeon to see the inside of the hand or wrist directly.
The orthopedic surgeon may insert surgical instruments through the second incision to cut the transverse carpal ligament and thus releasing the pressure on the median nerve by expanding the carpal tunnel. After the ligament is cut, the incisions are closed by dissolvable sutures. Endoscopic carpal tunnel release surgery is much less traumatic to the joint, muscles ligaments, and tissues than the conventional carpal tunnel surgery that is performed with long incisions.