Facts on abortion
- Around 7 million women are admitted to hospitals every year as result of unsafe abortions.
- Unsafe abortion remains the third leading cause of maternal mortality in India.
- Each year, between 4.7%-13.2% of maternal deaths can be attributed to unsafe abortion.
- Every year, 47 out of 1000 Indian women undergo an abortion.
- According to National Family Health Survey carried out between 2019-20, a majority (76%) of abortions in Maharashtra were performed in private health sector and 14 % were performed in public health sector.
What are the possible complications of an abortion?
While both medical and surgical abortions are considered absolutely safe and effective, they can sometimes result in certain complications that may include:
- Infections: This happens if the pregnancy is not terminated properly.
- Injury to the cervix: If the cervix gets overstretched during the process of abortion, there is a chance that the cervix might get weakened.
- Profuse blood loss: An injury to the uterus wall may result in unusual blood loss after the surgery.
What to expect during a surgical abortion?
During a surgical abortion, you can expect the following:
- You will be given general anesthesia, which will make you fall asleep.
- Prior to the procedure, antibiotics will be administered to prevent infections.
- A metal or plastic vaginal speculum will be used to gently expand the vagina and allow access to the cervix.
- Once the cervix is visible a forcep or tenaculum will be used to grasp the front lip of the cervix, causing the uterus to open a little.
- The surgeon uses a blunt tip probe to measure the length of the uterus and takes a small sample of tissue from the cervical canal.
- After that the surgeon dilates or opens the cervix using a series of progressively larger metal rods, called dilators.
- Once the cervix is expanded sufficiently the doctor will use a spoon-shaped instrument called a curette to gently scrape out the lining of the uterus.
- In case of D&E, the surgeon may use a vacuum curette that sucks the tissue out of a narrow tube.
- When the entire lining of the uterus is removed, the instruments will be withdrawn.
Once the procedure is complete, the surgeon will thoroughly examine the uterus to ensure that all the tissues are removed completely and safely in order to prevent the chances of the remnant fetus getting stuck in the uterus resulting in complications.
Potential risks and complications of medical abortion
Even though medical abortions are considered safe, it is possible to experience certain complications from the medications. The potential risks and complications of a medicinal abortion include:
– An incomplete or failed abortion, where the fetus is viable or remains in the womb an can cause serious infections.
– An undetected ectopic pregnancy, which can be dangerous and is considered a medical emergency.
– Blood clots remaining in the uterus.
– Excessive bleeding.
Symptoms of serious complications that are considered an emergency can include:
– Excessively heavy bleeding
– Severe pain
– Passing out clots that are larger in size for two or more hours
– Strong-smelling vaginal discharge
Self-care at home after an abortion
After an abortion, taking proper care of yourself is extremely important for the physical as well as mental well-being of the patient. In the days immediately after an abortion, you may feel unwell or exhausted.
Here are some self-care tips that you may consider following after an abortion to reduce the discomfort:
- Take the prescribed medications on time, including antibiotics.
- Apply heat to your stomach or back to relieve the cramping and pain.
- Try not to use over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen.
- Massage your stomach or back to help manage the cramps.
- Attend the follow-up appointments to ensure that the abortion is complete and the uterus is healing.
Why Choose Pristyn Care For Safe Abortion?
- Latest and technologically advanced equipment– Pristyn Care is equipped with state of the art medical equipment and technologies. Pristyn Care makes use of the most advanced procedures for pregnancy termination, which increases the reliability and effectiveness of the procedure.
- Highly qualified and experienced doctors– Pristyn Care constantly makes an effort to rope in the best doctors and specialists in every field. This is the reason why Pristyn Care houses a team of the most experienced Gynecologists in the country. The expertise and knowledge of our doctors, coupled with advanced technologies ensures a safe and successful medical procedure for all the patients.
- Complete assistance round the clock– Pristyn Care is dedicated towards providing the patients with a seamless medical experience. The medical coordinators at Pristyn Care are available 24×7 for any kind of assistance and support.
- Legal procedures and 100% confidentiality– At Pristyn Care we understand that undergoing an abortion can be a very difficult decision to make. As an effort to reduce some of your worries around the procedure, we follow all the legalities and maintain 100% privacy regarding the identities and consultations of our patients.
How to book an appointment with Gynecologists at Pristyn Care, Pune?
Pristyn Care ensures that every patient has a care-filled and hassle-free experience. Being one of the leading health tech startups in India dedicated to simplifying the surgical experience of every patient, we provide end-to-end facilities to our patients and give complete assistance in their treatment journey. You can book an appointment and get in touch with our doctors virtually from the comfort of your home or anywhere by dialing on the given numbers or by filling up the ‘Book Appointment’ form.