Different Methods of Performing an Abortion
The different methods available for abortion are related to each other. The doctor can suggest the methods as a standalone procedure or combination according to requirement. The most common methods used for abortion are explained below:
Dilation and Evacuation (D&E)
This procedure ends pregnancy in the second trimester, i.e., after the 14th week of pregnancy. This method of abortion is chosen when a woman has to terminate the pregnancy due to severe abnormality in the fetus or some medical problem.
It is done through a combination of two techniques, i.e., vacuum aspiration and D&C. At first, the doctor dilates the cervix, and then forceps are used to remove the fetus and placenta with the help of suction. Then a scoop-like instrument called a curette is used to scrape out the uterus lining.
Dilation and Curettage (D&C)
It is a minor surgical procedure in which the cervix is dilated, and a curette is used to remove the inner lining of the uterus.
Retained Products Of Conception (RPOC)
It refers to the fetal or placental tissues that remain in the uterus after pregnancy is terminated. It usually happens when the pregnancy ends in the first few weeks. Most commonly, RPOC is required when abortion is done using medicines or pills. If the contents of the uterus are not appropriately emptied, then RPOC is done using the dilation and curettage (D&C) technique.
Along with these methods, other techniques can be used for medical termination of pregnancy, such as labor induction abortion and late-term abortions. However, no matter what method is used for the procedure, there are always some risks. Therefore, you must contact a reliable healthcare provider like Pristyn Care and consult the best gynecologist regarding abortion.
Get the Safest Abortion (MTP) in Delhi
Even today, unsafe abortions continue to be one of the major causes of maternal deaths in India. According to studies conducted by multiple organizations such as BMJ (Britsih Medical Journal), WHO (World Health Organization), etc. On average, 9-13 women in India lose their lives due to abortion-related complications every day. Therefore, to avoid any risk to the woman’s life, it becomes essential to ensure that the abortion procedure is performed medically safely.
Women in Delhi can now undergo safe abortion procedures at Pristyn Care. Pristyn Care has an in-house team of the most experienced medical practitioners and partnered with the best-reputed hospitals in Delhi. The abortion procedures are performed only by experienced and licensed gynecologists, and we assure absolute confidentiality and safe pregnancy termination procedure.
What Is The Need For Abortion (MTP)?
Becoming a mother is a great responsibility, and a woman may not always be ready to bear all these responsibilities. In such a condition, the woman can choose to undergo an abortion.
In India, abortions are legally allowed in the following cases:
- The pregnancy can have adverse effects on the woman’s physical or mental well-being.
- The growth of the fetus is abnormal, and chances of deformities after birth are high.
- The woman is pregnant as a result of rape or sexual assault.
- The pregnancy is a result of failure of contraception.
- Conception and development of the fetus occurring outside the uterus (in the fallopian tube). It is called ectopic pregnancy in medical terms.
Highly Experienced Doctors For Safe Abortion In Delhi
Pristyn Care takes into account all the legalities of the MTP act for the abortion procedure. At Pristyn Care in Delhi, we have a team of certified gynecologists who are licensed to perform the abortion procedure. This ensures a 100% legal pregnancy termination. Also, we understand that some women may have apprehensions about the effectiveness of the procedure. In such a situation, the patient can discuss the issue at length with the doctor and go ahead with the procedure once they are completely convinced.
How Pristyn Care is associated with the best hospitals in Delhi?
Pristyn Care works in association with the most well-reputed hospitals in Delhi. All the partner hospitals across Delhi are optimally equipped with the latest treatment techniques. Also, all the protocols of sanitization, thermal screening and social distancing to prevent COVID-19 are strictly followed at all the hospitals and clinics of Pristyn Care in Delhi.
The doctors along with the other staff members at the hospital are quite courteous and attentive towards the need of each and every patient. Thus, it is our collective effort at Pristyn Care to provide the patient with the seamless experience of treatment without any fears or apprehensions.
Why Is Medically Safe Abortion A Better Option?
Medically safe abortion allows a woman to get free from the undesired/harmful conception without any health complications. A woman should be aware of the unforeseen troubles that are common in the cases of unsafe abortions. An unsafe abortion can cause the following complications:
- Nausea, vomiting, fever and chills as a sign of infection.
- Inflammatory disorder in the pelvic region.
- The presence of blood clot(s) and perforations in the uterus.
- Requirement for an additional surgical procedure to completely terminate the pregnancy in about 8-10% of cases.
- In several cases, the cervix is also found to be torn or lacerated.
Why Choose Pristyn Care For Safe Abortion?
- Experienced & licensed gynecologists– Abortions can be performed only by certified and registered medical practitioners. Pristyn Care has a team of the best gynecologists who are certified under the MTP act. The gynecologists and surgeons are well trained and you can entrust them for a complication-free procedure.
- Free of cost pickup and drop service– Pristyn Care is dedicated towards making the patients’ medical experience absolutely seamless. To add to the convenience of the patient, Pristyn Care provides free pick up and drop facility on the day of the treatment so that the patient does not face any problems while commuting.
- High standards of hygiene– At Pristyn Care we understand the importance of sanitation in today’s times. Therefore, all our hospitals have raised the standards of hygiene and sanitation, and all the COVID-19 safety protocols are strictly followed.
- Care buddy from Pristyn Care– If you require to undergo the abortion procedure at a Pristyn Care hospital, the hospital assigns you a Care Buddy. The Care Buddy takes care of all the needs of the patients and assists them till the end of the procedure.
Consult Well Experienced Gynecologists for Medically Safe Abortion
Pristyn Care houses highly experienced and skilled gynecologists in Delhi. Gynecologists are well-trained in conducting the advanced procedures for terminating a pregnancy. In addition to being experts in gynecology, Pristyn Care gynecologists are very courteous so the patient can open up to them without hesitation and discuss the entire situation clearly with them. Clear and detailed communication with the doctor ensures that the patient is given the most appropriate treatment.
What is the estimated abortion cost in Delhi?
The average cost of MTP in Delhi may range from INR 20,000 to INR 40,000. However, the cost of abortions in Delhi can vary in depending on the following factors:
- The medical practitioner/healthcare provider chosen
- The type of abortion procedure required
- Hospital expenses
- Extra medical charges, if any
At Pristyn Care, we understand that the financial aspect is a crucial part of the medical procedure. Therefore, we provide the safest and best-in-class pregnancy termination procedure in Delhi at a very reasonable cost. And to add to your convenience, you do not need to pay any extra hospital or medical charges.
How To Book an Appointment with the Best Treatment Center in Delhi?
Booking an appointment with a Pristyn Care clinic for expert consultation on abortion is fairly straightforward. You can book the appointment through any of the following modes:
- Fill and submit the details through the contact form on the right. Or give us a call on the number provided. A medical representative gets in touch with you, and you can then discuss the appointment date and time at your convenience.
- If you want to contact the doctor from the comfort of your home, you can download the Pristyn Care app and book an online appointment through the app itself.
Preparation Before Surgical Abortion
Before a surgical abortion, your OB-GYN evaluates your past health, including the medicines you are taking. Apart from that, the OB-GYN may do the following:-
- Physical exam, including a pelvic exam to evaluate your health, how long you have been pregnant, the location as well as the health of the embryo or fetus.
- An ultrasound to confirm how far along and where the pregnancy is. Your OB-GYN will explain the procedure, possible complications, and when to call your doctor.
- You may also discuss your decision to have an abortion and your feelings about it. You could also discuss your plans for future pregnancies and birth control use.
Follow-up exam after a surgical abortion
A follow-up exam is done usually about 2 weeks after the surgical abortion. The exam may include the following:-
- A blood test to check for anemia
- A physical exam to check the condition of the cervix and the uterus
- A test to check for human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) levels
Apart from all the above, you may discuss the use of birth control. If birth control measures were started just after the abortion, the proper use of the method can be discussed again.
Also, you can ask all the questions that you have to your OB-GYN if you had an intrauterine device (IUD) inserted at the time of the surgical abortion.
Benefits of Surgical Termination of Pregnancy(STP)
Surgical abortion is considered the best method to terminate an unwanted pregnancy when MTP fails or pregnancy exceeds 9 weeks. Following are the best USPs if choosing surgical abortion:-
- Effective method 99% of surgical abortions are successful
- only about 1% of the women need a repeat procedure or other medical intervention for complete abortion.
- No risk of complications The risk of complications during or after a surgical abortion is almost zero. However, you must ensure that you choose an experienced and skilled ob-gynecologist for this procedure.
- Daycare procedure A surgical abortion is a daycare procedure where the patient doesn’t need to stay in the hospital. Usually, the doctor discharges the patient just after a few hours of the procedure.
- Precise procedure Surgical termination of pregnancy is a precise procedure. The surgical abortion hardly takes around 15-20 minutes to complete. This way to terminate the pregnancy is the best method for those who want to get rid of their unwanted pregnancies in just one day.
- Minimal bleeding As compared to Medical Termination of Pregnancy (MTP), surgical abortion involves minimal bleeding. If you are suffering from blood-related complications or are scared of bleeding, surgical abortion can be the best option for you.
- Quick recovery Most women return to their daily routine just after 1-2 days of their surgical abortion. After the surgical abortion, you may have cramps and light bleeding for a few days.
Also, to recover quickly, you should avoid sexual intercourse for at least 1 week, or longer as advised by your doctor. When you start having sexual intercourse again, make sure you use birth control and condom to prevent infection.
Care After Undergoing Surgical Abortion
After the surgical abortion, the OB-GYN will check your vital signs such as heart rate, breathing, and blood pressure to make sure that everything is normal.
After that, the OB-GYN checks the bleeding is not excessive and uterine contractions are normal. The OB-GYN also checks that the side effects from anesthesia are not causing problems.
The OB-GYN may also prescribe you certain medicines. This may include the following:-
- Antibiotics to prevent infection
- Medicines that cause uterine contractions to empty the uterus and reduce bleeding.
- The OB-GYN gives Rh immunoglobulin to all the women who have Rh-negative blood type as it prevents Rh sensitization after abortion.
- Pain medicines for pain and cramping caused by uterine contractions.
Apart from all that, the OB-GYN may also prescribe certain medicines to treat nausea and vomiting.
Care At Home After Surgical Abortion
After undergoing a surgical abortion, you should follow all the instructions given by your OB-GYN.
Also, you should talk to your doctor about what to expect at home after undergoing a surgical abortion.
You can follow these instructions:-
- You can return to your daily routine within 1-2 days of the surgical abortion.
- Avoid all strenuous physical activities for the first week of your abortion.
- Don’t have sexual intercourse for at least one week or longer as advised by your doctor.
- When you start your sexual intercourse, use birth control and condoms to prevent the risk of infection and unwanted pregnancy.
- Don’t rinse the vagina with fluids (douche) as it increases the risk of infections that can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease.
You may experience certain symptoms after undergoing a surgical abortion, including irregular bleeding, spotting, and/or cramping for the first 1-2 weeks. Some women may have cramping such as menstrual cramping for as long as 6 weeks.
When to visit your doctor after surgical abortion
If you experience any of the following symptoms or complications after undergoing a surgical abortion, you should immediately contact your OB-GYN and discuss your problems:-
- If heavy bleeding continues for more than 12 hours.
- If your bleeding is soaking more than two large pads in an hour, for 2 hours in a row.
- Passing clots that last for two or more hours.
- Signs of infections in your whole body include headache, muscle aches, dizziness, or a general feeling of illness.
- Excruciating pain in the belly is not relieved by pain medicine, rest, or heat.
- Hot flushes or fever of 100.4°F (38°C) or higher lasts more than 4 hours.
- Vomiting lasting more than 4-6 hours.
- Sudden belly swelling or increased heart rate.
- Swelling, redness, or pain in the genital region.
- Vaginal discharge that has increased in volume or smells bad.
Call your OB-GYN immediately if you have any of these symptoms after undergoing a surgical abortion:-
- Bleeding (not spotting) for longer than two weeks.
- New or unexplained symptoms may occur due to medicines you use in your treatment.
- No menstrual period within six weeks after the abortion.
- Signs and symptoms of depression. Hormonal changes after abortion may cause depression that requires proper treatment.