Diagnostic tests required for tonsillectomy surgery in Gurgaon
If you have symptoms of tonsilitis, your doctor may perform the following diagnostic tests before finalizing your treatment plan.
- Physical examination: Your throat doctor will perform a thorough physical examination before determining whether you have tonsillitis and what is the best course of treatment for you.
The physical examination includes checking the inside and outside of the throat for any abnormal swelling or rashes, palpating the neck to evaluate swelling in the neck lymph nodes, and assessing their breath sounds to check for pulmonary infection.
- Throat swab: The ENT doctor will run a sterile swab through the back of your throat to get a testing sample which will be evaluated in a lab to determine whether the tonsillitis is caused due to a bacterial or viral infection.
- Complete blood cell count (CBC): A CBC helps determine the nature of the pathogen causing the throat infection and its severity.
Pristyn Care provides a free consultation with the best ENT specialists for the diagnosis and treatment of tonsillectomy in Gurgaon.
Treatment for tonsillitis
- Medical management: For patients with benign non-recurring tonsillitis, conservative treatment through medical management is sufficient. Depending on the results of the diagnostic tests, the doctor will prescribe medicines.
- Surgical treatment: Surgery is the best treatment for recurring or chronic tonsillitis. Surgical intervention is considered necessary if you have experienced at least seven episodes of tonsillitis in the previous year. It is performed by completely removing both tonsils. It is usually performed as an outpatient procedure, however, in severe cases, you may be hospitalized for 1-2 days to ensure there are no postoperative complications.
Different surgical procedures for tonsillitis treatment in Gurgaon are:
- Radiofrequency tonsillectomy
It is a laser procedure in which the tonsils are removed using a focused high energy radiofrequency beam. It is also known as radiofrequency tonsil ablation.
- Harmonic scalpel tonsillectomy
A harmonic scalpel cuts the inflamed tonsils through vibration energy. It generates heat and friction, leading to protein denaturation and dissection of the tonsils.
- Electrocautery or cauterization tonsillectomy
In this procedure, the surgeon uses a low energy electrocautery to remove the inflamed tonsils. It is one of the oldest or most conventional methods for tonsil removal.
- Cold knife dissection tonsillectomy
A cold knife dissection is traditional open surgery for tonsil removal. The surgeon uses a ‘cold’ or sharp knife to cut the tonsils and their capsules from the surrounding tissues.