What are the risks and complications associated with rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty is an elective procedure which means the chances for occurrence of risks are very minimal. However, just like with every surgical procedure, rhinoplasty does involve some risks and complications. Some of them are listed below.
- Bleeding through the incisions
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia [rare]
- Difficulty in breathing after the surgery
- Persisting numbness in your nose
- Uneven results
- Swelling in the nose that doesn’t go away
- Septal perforation or hole in the septum [rare]
- Need for additional surgery
Most of these complications can be mitigated by the surgeon and the patient. The surgeon generally carries out the procedure safely in a contaminant-free environment and identifies the appropriate way to minimize the risks during the surgery. After the surgery is performed, it becomes the patient’s responsibility to follow the doctor’s advice. And in case any complications arise, contact the doctor immediately.
How to prepare for rhinoplasty surgery?
As rhinoplasty is a complex surgery, the surgeon has to ensure that you are in optimal health for the procedure. To prepare your body for the surgery, the doctor will ask you to follow the instructions below:
- Stop taking blood-thinning medicines as suggested by the doctor.
- Take the suggested vitamin tablets 2 weeks before the surgery.
- Stop smoking completely at least 2-3 weeks before and after the surgery.
- Increase your consumption of protein and other nutrients to improve your body’s healing abilities.
- Do not wear any makeup on the day of surgery.
- Stop eating and drinking the night before the surgery.
- Ask someone to accompany you as you won’t be able to drive yourself.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes as you’ll have to wear them again when you get discharged.
- The doctor will list down everything that you should and shouldn’t do before the surgery to ensure that it is safe for you to undergo rhinoplasty.
Why choose Pristyn Care to undergo rhinoplasty surgery?
At Pristyn Care, we understand that aesthetic features are a great big part of your personality. And if you don’t feel confident in the way you look, you can always undergo procedures like rhinoplasty, facial liposuction, abdominoplasty, full-body liposuction, hair transplant, etc. to enhance your appearance.
Hence, we provide services that take care of the patient’s needs. We are a patient-centric healthcare provider that focuses on delivering seamless medical care at a reasonable cost.
Our services that make medical treatments like rhinoplasty cost-effective include the following:
- We are associated with top-rated hospitals and clinics.
- We have a team of well-trained plastic surgeons in who have more than 8 years of experience in performing rhinoplasty surgery.
- All of our medical centers have a safe environment, free from coronavirus.
- Our medical coordinators assist the patients in booking appointments and diagnostic tests along with handling insurance-related formalities.
- We provide free cab service for pick and drop on the day of surgery.
- Our payment system is flexible and there is also an option of No-Cost EMI to make it easier for the patients to cover the cost of surgery.
- We provide post-surgery care and consultation without any additional charges.
- So, from the moment you contact us, we will handle every aspect of the treatment and assist you at every step. You can rely on us to simplify your treatment journey.
Schedule your appointment with the best rhinoplasty surgeon in Coimbatore
To schedule your appointment with the best doctors in Coimbatore, you only need to give us a call on the number given at the top. Our medical coordinators will discuss what kind of treatment you are seeking and schedule your appointment with the best doctor according to the date and time suitable for you.
Besides this, you can also fill the “Book Appointment” form and submit the details. Our medical coordinators will get back to you shortly and confirm the appointment for doctor consultation at the earliest.
One other way you can try to book an appointment is by downloading the Pristyn Care mobile application. Within the app, you can see the list of rhinoplasty surgeons in Coimbatore. You can pick a doctor of your choice and confirm the appointment personally. You can use any of these methods to schedule your consultation with the doctor before and after the treatment.
How to take care of the nose during recovery?
It is important that you take special care of the nose to ensure that there are no post-surgery complications and you get the desired results. Here are some tips that you should follow during the recovery period.
- Do not perform strenuous activities, including jogging, aerobics, etc.
- Avoid taking showers until the bandage on the nose is removed.
- Do not blow your nose and stay away from the things that may increase the chances of sneezing.
- Eat healthy foods that provide essential nutrients and fasten up the healing.
- Avoid smiling or laughing excessively in the next few days as it places strain on the nose.
- Brush your teeth carefully and gently.
- Wear loose or wide-neck clothes that don’t rub against the nose when you wear or remove them.
- Do not wear eyeglasses or sunglasses for at least a month after the surgery.
- Minimize sun exposure during the healing period as it may cause irregular discoloration.
- Avoid going to crowded places till the nose heals completely.
- Cover your face gently with a smooth and comfortable piece of cloth to avoid the deposit of dust on the nose.
These tips will make the recovery smooth and you will be able to achieve the desired results.
What is non-surgical rhinoplasty?
Non-surgical rhinoplasty is the procedure in which injectable fillers are used to alter the shape of the nose. It is also known as a liquid nose job and is done with the help of derma fillers. Mostly hyaluronic acid, like Juvederm, calcium hydroxyapatite, or Restylane is used for this procedure. It is very effective in filling the depressed areas of the nose, lifting the tip, or smoothing out the bumps and bridges on the nose.
Non-surgical rhinoplasty is more like an augmentation procedure, hence, it cannot help to reduce the size of the nose. Like any surgical procedure, this non-surgical treatment has some risks and complications. So, if you want to change the nose shape through this technique, make sure that you have a detailed consultation and understand the risks and benefits of the procedure.
Difference between Open & Closed Rhinoplasty
Open and closed rhinoplasty are two different techniques that can be used to change the shape and structure of the nose. The key differences between these two techniques are explained below:
- Open rhinoplasty is done through an incision around the columella whereas, in closed technique, the incisions are made inside the nose.
- Open rhinoplasty allows the surgeon to measure the true anatomy of the nose and perform detailed and precise work. However, closed rhinoplasty limits the access of the surgeon to the internal structures.
- The open technique for nose jobs is effective but it may leave a scar whereas closed surgery doesn’t cause scarring on the face.
- Closed rhinoplasty takes less time to perform whereas open rhinoplasty requires longer for surgery as well as recovery.
- Open rhinoplasty is preferred when the patient is getting a revision nose job or needs major changes. However, closed surgery is done when the patient requires nasal bridge modifications or minor changes.
Recovery Timeline of Rhinoplasty
The rhinoplasty surgeon will explain the recovery timeline of the nose job. Typically, the final results of rhinoplasty will take around one year to become clearly visible. It may sound like a very long time but it is a critical period that will determine whether rhinoplasty surgery was worth it.
- Week 1- The doctor will remove the splint from the nose and you can go out in public. There will still be visible bruising around the eyes.
- Week 2- The swelling and bruising around the eyes will subside and it will be safe to resume daily activities.
- Week 3-4- You can perform activities like jogging, swimming, cycling, and other cardiovascular exercises.
- Week 6- The bone and cartilage will take a stable shape and you can start working out, wearing glasses, and even blowing your nose.
- Week 3-6- The numbness in the nose will resolve completely and your sense of smell will also improve.
- 1 Year- The healing process will be complete and the nose’s shape will be refined.
You can speed up the healing process by listening to the doctor’s advice and taking proper care of your nose.
Recovery Tips After Rhinoplasty Surgery
Many people don’t realize this but the recovery period is the most crucial phase to get the desired results from rhinoplasty surgery. You will be able to achieve the best results by following the recovery tips below:
- Keep the swelling in control by using an ice pack or cooling pads. This will help to alleviate the pressure and reduce puffiness in the treated area. It will also promote faster healing by constricting the blood flow to the nose.
- Avoid taking anti-inflammatory medicines unless prescribed by your doctor. These medicines can increase the swelling and blood flow that will slow down the healing process.
- Do not take painkillers or any other medicines without consulting with the doctor. Talk to the doctor to get a specific dosage for the pain medications to ensure that the medicine doesn’t cause any adverse reactions or hinder the healing process.
- Take sufficient time off your work or school to focus on healing. Give your body proper rest to recover quickly. Minimize physical activities to prevent stress and injury to the nose.
- Take a bath rather than having a shower. You will have bandages, splints, and supports in and around the nose. They should not get wet until removed by the doctor. Hence, for at least the first week, you’ll have to wash your face with a damp cloth around the bandages.
- Eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water during the recovery. This will ensure that you are getting plenty of nutrients that promote faster healing. Drinking plenty of water will help to flush out toxins from the body, reducing the chances of infection.
- Avoid blowing your nose unless it has healed properly and the support devices are removed. If you blow the nose while the splint is inside, it may dislodge or shift them. This can injure the nose and compromise the healing process.
- Make sure that you stay away from peppery and spicy foods that can cause irritation in your nose, especially in the early stages of healing. Reduce your salt intake as much as possible. Excessive salt intake will increase the swelling and pressure around the surgical site. Therefore, it is best to avoid salty foods or add salt to food items.
- Try to keep your head elevated most of the time, especially during sleeping or resting. Place a pillow under your head to keep the fluid from building up around the face.
Take post-surgery follow-up appointments with the doctor to ensure that your nose is healing properly after rhinoplasty. The doctor will monitor whether the results are closer to what you desire or not. The doctor will also check if the splints or bandages need replacement.