How to prepare for the RIRS procedure?
Your doctor or healthcare institute generally provides instructions before the RIRS procedure to help you prepare for the surgery. Here is how you can prepare for your RIRS surgery –
- Inform your urologist about any ongoing medications or health conditions before the RIRS surgery.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes to avoid discomfort around the surgical site.
- Stop smoking tobacco or anything else before the surgery.
- Inform your doctor about any allergies related to anesthesia.
- Do not eat or drink 8 to 9 hours prior to the surgery as it can delay the effects of anesthesia.
What to expect after RIRS?
After the RIRS procedure, the patient will be under the effect of anesthesia and may take time to regain consciousness completely. A catheter is usually placed for a day or two in the urethra to minimize the pain and discomfort while urinating. The patient will be shifted to the observational room where the doctor will check the vitals and monitor your recovery. If the doctor does not suspect any possible complications, you may be allowed to go home. In case of any abnormality, you may be asked to stay in the hospital for observation purposes.
Recovery after RIRS
Recovery is an essential aspect of surgery. The normal recovery time after the RIRS procedure usually takes a day and the patient can resume work within two to three days after the surgery. Since there are no cuts and stitches, you can perform minimal physical activities that do not strain your lower body. Here are some recovery tips after the RIRS procedure –
- Drink excess water every day
- Avoid spicy food for at least two months after the surgery
- Avoid food containing high animal proteins
- Do not stagnate yourself entirely from any physical activities
- Avoid too much physical activity that can put immense strain on your abdomen
- If there are stents inside you, you must not engage in too much exercise or outdoor sports
Benefits of RIRS surgery
RIRS is an advanced laser treatment that offers great results for patients experiencing immense pain. The surgery is done as an outpatient procedure which means the patient is usually discharged within 24 hours after the surgery if the doctor does not suspect any complication. In addition, RIRS offers a high stone passage rate in a single sitting as compared to the other treatment methods for kidney stone removal. Some of the advantages of RIRS are –
- No cuts or incisions
- Almost no blood loss
- Shorter hospital stays
- Faster recovery
- Negligible complications
- Almost no risk of damage to the renal tissues
- Can be done in children as well as adults
- Resume work within a week
RIRS vs PCNL
RIRS and PCNL both offer excellent results for large-sized kidney stones. However, for stones greater than 20mm in diameter, RIRS may not always produce satisfactory results. While RIRS is a great alternative to PCNL, it is observed that PCNL has a higher success rate for kidney stones of size 2-3cm in diameter. Retrograde intrarenal surgery or RIRS, however, only offers a comparable success rate for a stone size greater than 15mm. Some patients who undergo RIRS may regard it as a good alternative to PCNL. However, there are certain parameters that must be taken into consideration such as the age of the patient, location of the stone, prior history of open surgery, number of stones, degree of hydronephrosis, etc.
Why Choose Pristyn Care for RIRS Surgery in Indore?
Pristyn Care is a full-stack healthcare service provider that offers several benefits in terms of surgery experience and financial assistance. Our associated hospitals are equipped with the latest technology and modern infrastructure for a high success rate. Some of the benefits of choosing Pristyn Care for your RIRS Surgery in Indore include –
- 15+ years of experienced urologists
- State-of-the-art facility
- Latest tools and equipment
- Personal Care buddy
- Assistance with paperwork for Insurance approval
Flexible payment options
- Free pick-up and drop facility on the day of RIRS surgery
- Free follow-up consultation after the surgery
- COVID-19 safe environment
Book an appointment with our experienced urologists for your RIRS procedure
Here is how you can book an appointment with some of the best urologists in Indore through Pristyn Care –
- Fill out the patient form on our website. A team of medical coordinators will reach out to you at the earliest to gather details from your end once the appointment form is submitted. The appointment will be subsequently fixed with the concerned urologist according to your schedule.
- Connect with our medical coordinators via the contact number on our website. A team of dedicated medical coordinators will gather inputs from your end and connect you with the kidney stones doctor near your area for your RIRS procedure and book your appointment consecutively.
- You can also book an appointment through our Pristyn Care app. Our medical coordinators will arrange an offline or online video consultation with the kidney stones specialist near your area.