What are the different treatment strategies for deep vein thrombosis?
Many people try to treat and manage deep vein thrombosis using alternative treatments, but the only permanent cure for DVT is the removal of the thrombus. Some other treatments for treating blood clots in DVT are:-
- Medications: Patients with very mild or minor DVTs can try to use blood thinners and clot busters to stop the clot from growing and breaking off, but they are not a permanent solution for blood clots as they do not dissolve the existing clot.
- Catheter-Directed Thrombolysis: For this treatment, the doctor threads a catheter through the clot and inflates the balloon on either side of the clot. Finally, the catheter is used to release a clot-busting medicine to dissolve the clot. It is quick and efficient in restoring the blood flow and saves the valves in the vein. But, it is not considered in many cases as it can cause excessive hemorrhage and stroke.
- IVC filter: The procedure is performed under general anesthesia for patients who have a complication associated with DVT such as hemorrhage, stroke, uncontrolled hypertension, pregnancy, or if the patient has had surgery recently. In the procedure, the surgeon threads an Inferior Vena Cava Filter through the IVC to restore the normal blood flow.
- Angioplasty and stenting: Angioplasty is the only recourse of treatment for severe DVT patients with narrow veins. The doctor inserts a stent in the veins to prevent the formation of a new clot and restore the normal blood flow.
Can I travel with deep vein thrombosis?
If you have deep vein thrombosis and are planning to travel, you should follow the given precautions to prevent worsening the condition:-
- Stay hydrated during the journey
- Don’t have alcohol during the journey
- Don’t wear tight clothes
- Don’t sit still for long stretches of time. Keep doing minimal exercises such as stretching and bending the legs every hour to ensure proper blood flow in the legs.
- If your work/travel requires you to sit for long stretches of time, you should take 5 min breaks as often as possible to stretch and walk around.
- Don’t take any sedatives or sleeping pills as they slow down blood circulation.
- Wear compression stockings/sleeves
Why get deep vein thrombosis treatment at Pristyn Care?
Pristyn Care offers advanced laser ablation treatment for deep vein thrombosis treatment in Chandigarh. It is a minimally invasive state-of-the-art procedure that treats the condition without stitches or incisions. The entire procedure is painless, and the patient is able to go home on the same day. Some other benefits of receiving treatment at Pristyn Care are:-
- Safe and hygienic clinics with rigid Covid-19 safety measures
- Dedicated care coordinator who helps with documentation, insurance claim, and appointment booking
- Cab and meal services on the day of the surgery
- Premium state of the art infrastructure in all Pristyn Care clinics
- Multiple payment options such as cashless transactions no-cost EMI
- Free follow-up after surgery
Do’s and Don’ts for patients before DVT surgery
- Make sure your doctor has your complete medical history, along with a record of any medications you are currently on.
- Avoid antibiotics for at least 2-3 days before the surgery
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption for at least 3-4 days before the surgery.
- Do not have a heavy meal on the day of the surgery. Instead, eat something light, fiber-rich, and easily digestible.
How to book an appointment with the best vascular surgeons in Chandigarh Pristyn Care?
Pristyn Care is associated with the best deep vein thrombosis hospitals in Chandigarh. To book an appointment and consult the best DVT specialists near you, all you have to do is fill in your information on a form on our website or call our helpline. Our care coordinators will immediately reach out to you and book an appointment with a treatment center near you.