Suffering from tonsillitis is a very common problem in children. Though it’s not a life-threatening disease, tonsillitis may impact a child’s health negatively and concern the parents as well. Tonsillitis may cause a child to skip school, decrease their appetite, and may also disturb their sleep.
According to Ayurveda, tonsils and adenoids are defined as Gayaalu and Kantashaluka which are the body’s first line of defense located at the gateway of the oro-pharyngeal region of the mouth. Ayurveda also describes Tonsils as a part of the immune system. Therefore, due to the decrease in immunity and the tonsils‘ incompetence in helping the immune system, they become a source of recurrent infections.
Ayurveda classics for tonsillitis
Tonsillitis and tonsils in Ayurveda can be correlated to Tundikeri, which is one of the diseases of the head and neck. Ayurvedic literature explains that tonsillitis is a result of vitiated and imbalanced dosha of the body i.e., Vāta, Pitta, and Kapha.
Ayurveda describes that the pathogenesis of tonsillitis is due to the derangement of Kapha dosha and Rakta. This alters the digestive fire causing impaired digestive capacity leading to clogged channels of Annavaha Srotas (gastrointestinal tract) and Pranavaha Srotas (respiratory tract). The obstruction of GIT and respiratory channels may manifest the symptoms of tonsillitis like breathing through the mouth, difficulty in swallowing, and choking spells at night.
Symptoms of tonsillitis
- Shushka-Kasa (cough)
- Galaayu (Swelling of the tonsils)
- Vidradhi (Oozing pus)
- Jwara Roga (Fever)
- Difficulty during swallowing
- Sore throat (Also Read: 10 Most Common Causes for Sore throat )
- Pain in the throat
- Pain in the ear or on the affected area too
Causes of tonsillitis according to Ayurveda
Ayurveda describes tonsillitis as Galaayu, which results due to impaired digestion. Poor digestion, in turn, may weaken the immune system and results in the accumulation of ama (toxins) in the body.
Therefore, ayurvedic treatment aims to remove the excess ama from the body and thus treat the entire immune system.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Tonsillitis
Various Ayurvedic herbs can control the conditions of tonsillitis. These herbs when administered can eliminate the inflammation and infection in tonsilitis.
Some herbs that can provide relief from symptoms of tonsillitis are-
- Holy basil
- Fenugreek seeds
Lifestyle Practices for Treating Tonsillitis in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic management along with customized diet and lifestyle advice can do wonders in alleviating the tonsilitis problem.
Tips Tonsillitis Patients Should Follow
- Take enough rest
- Drink warm food and beverages
- Consume only warm water for drinking
- Eat pomegranate
- Take lemon and black pepper in diet
Tips Tonsillitis Patients Should Not Follow
- Don’t sleep throughout the day
- Avoid exposing yourself to cold breeze, water, etc.
- Don’t drink milk and consume dairy products.
- Fruits and vegetables that can cause cold
Ayurvedic Formulations for Treating Tonsils
Various types of formulations and plant ingredients can treat tonsils in Ayurveda. Some of them are as follows:
- Linctus made out of ingredients like Dacha, Vast, Honey and Karajan taken 3-4 times a day may prove to be an effective remedy for tonsillitis
- Boiled extracts of Banaphsha flowers. Consume it with milk.
- Chamomile Tea with Honey and Lemon can soothe the throat and help relieve the symptoms of tonsillitis.
- Gargling with Alum and Salt Water can provide relief from tonsillitis symptoms.
- Vegetable Juices like beetroot, carrot, and cucumber mixed in the ratio of 3:1:1 can prove to be very useful in treating tonsillitis.
- Ayurvedic formulations such as Kanchanara Guggulu with warm water can give permanent relief from tonsillitis. Similarly consuming Kapha Ketu ras or Tundikeri ras can also help alleviate symptoms of tonsillitis.
- Sphatika – In Ayurveda Sphatika is a type of quartz crystal, which is known to have antiseptic, astringent, hemostatic, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps subsides the inflammation by inhibiting the multiplication of pathogens inside the body.
- Agastya Rasayana – This ayurvedic preparation can extensively combat severe and chronic tonsillitis.
- Khadiradi – An ayurvedic herbal preparation that comes in tablet form can help a person suffering from tonsillitis.
- Kulanjana, Yashti Madhu and Vacha – The powder of these ingredients should be mixed with honey and consumed in tonsilitis to see its effective results.
Tonsils treatment in Ayurveda focuses on maintaining the balance between dosha and thus effectively reduces the signs and symptoms of chronic tonsillitis. An Ayurvedic formulation offers a holistic approach in treating a disease and does not pose any side effects and treats the disease effectively. Ayurveda also suggests Galashundi (tonsillectomy) in case the disease does not come in control by Shamana Chikitsa and Shastra Chikitsa.