Urinary Tract infections are infections caused by bacteria in any part of the urinary system. Urinary tract infections can affect kidneys, bladder, ureters or urethra but in most cases, they occur in the bladder and the urethra.
- Urinary tract infections affect around 3 percent of men each year throughout the world.
- UTIs are rare in adult males under the age of 50 years and the risk increases with age.
- Women are around 4-5 times more likely to develop UTIs than men.
- UTIs are estimated to cause around 8.1 million people visit healthcare providers each year.
UTIs are more common in women than in men. However, when urinary tract infections occur in men, it is a more complicated situation as in these cases, the UTI is more likely to spread to the upper urinary tract and the kidneys. Thus, there are high chances of the infection reaching up to your kidneys. Men who suffer from urinary tract infections, have to endure pain while passing urine. Such males have frequent urges to urinate and still find it difficult to completely empty their urinary bladder.
Other symptoms of UTI in males are:
- Slow urinary stream
- Blood in the urine
- Cloudy urine with a strong odor
- Pain in the central lower part of the abdomen
Now that you have seen the symptoms of urinary tract infections, you can imagine how troublesome and painful these can be. If you are experiencing the aforementioned symptoms, do not take it casually. Urinary tract infections require prompt treatment so that you can avoid the damage to the kidneys and the urinary system.
Ayurveda claims to have effective medicines to cure the problem of urinary infections in males. As bacteria are the causative organisms of most of the UTIs, ayurvedic remedies are effective in destroying the bacteria. Ayurvedic medicines comprise of natural herbs and thus have no toxic side effects. They can be quite beneficial and are absolutely safe to use with nil complications.
Let’s now get some insight into the Ayurvedic medicines for urinary tract infections in males:
- Punarnava: It is one of the most famous ayurvedic medicines for UTI in males. Punarnava contains the herb Boerhavia diffusa that adds to its diuretic property to cure urinary infection faster. It rejuvenates the body and helps in getting relief from urinary tract infections. Punarnava relieves the inflammation of the urinary tracts and has anti-microbial properties. All these things make Punarnava a fantastic cure for UTIs in males. It also helps in the detoxification of the body and improves the functioning of the kidneys.
- Gokshura: Gokshura(Tribulus Terrestris) is an excellent ayurvedic remedy used for the treatment of problems related to the urinary system. It aids in getting significant relief from the pain and burning sensation that urinary tract infections cause. Furthermore, it is also a diuretic remedy and thus helps in maintaining the proper flow of urine. Being a diuretic, Gokshura ensures that harmful bacteria also flush out of the body along with the urine. Gokshura also improves the functioning of the kidneys by maintaining the level of uric acid in the body and excreting the excess uric acid. Hence, it has various benefits relating to the urinary system of the body.
- Guduchi: Guduchi or Giloy is a medicine that is used extensively for the treatment of a variety of disorders. It is also a diuretic medicine and helps to remove kidney stones from the body. Guduchi has rejuvenating properties and helps in getting relief from urinary tract disorders.
- Varun: Varun (Crataeve nurvula) is an ayurvedic herb that has been in use for the treatment of urinary tract infections since the 8th century. Varun helps in the treatment of chronic and recurrent bladder infections. Ayurveda experts usually combine Crataeve nurvula with other urinary tract medicines. Varun acts by removing harmful micro-organisms from the body. It also has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and thus provides relief from urinary tract infections.
- Darulhaldi: Darulhaldi(Berberis aristata) is a plant that has been used in ayurvedic medicine for a long time. Darulhaldi has an anti-inflammatory effect and thus provides relief from the pain caused by UTIs. It also has anti-bacterial and anti-oxidant properties which make it a very effective medicine for the treatment of urinary tract infections.
- Kasni: Kasni is yet another plant whose roots are mostly used for the treatment of urinary tract disorders. Kasni has anti-inflammatory properties and helps to keep the kidneys healthy. This ayurvedic remedy also ensures the removal of harmful toxins from the body and helps in maintaining a proper flow of urine.
These are the most widely used Ayurvedic remedies that are popular for their effective results without any side effects. However, if in your case, these medicines do not provide relief in a considerable amount of time, consult a specialist doctor. Your urologist can then check for any serious conditions and recommend the best-suited treatment for you.
And, here is a reminder for you, do not leave urinary tract infection unattended. Seeking timely medical advice from a specialist doctor will save you from many unwanted health complications away.