It is possible to have a healthy pregnancy even at the age of 45. If you are very careful about prenatal care, eating healthy, having a healthy lifestyle, and taking the best care of yourself for the nine months of pregnancy, your pregnancy will be as normal as those of younger women.
What is the probability of getting pregnant naturally at the age of 45?
In their late 20s and early 30s, for a healthy couple, there is around a 30 percent chance of getting pregnant in any menstrual cycle. But as you approach your mid-40s, the fertility declines, and so does the quality and number of eggs. Therefore, for most women, getting pregnant at 45 naturally has a bleak chance, although it cannot be ruled out altogether. If you are trying to get pregnant at 45, it is best to consult your healthcare provider about it.
You can always go for in vitro fertilization or IVF using your own eggs that you had frozen in the past or donor eggs. If you choose to undergo IVF with your frozen eggs in your 40s, chromosomal screening of the embryo, also called PGT-A is suggested.
What are the common symptoms of being pregnant at 45?
You will experience the same symptoms that any younger woman would if she’s pregnant. Some of these symptoms include:
- Vomiting and nausea
- Morning sickness or nausea in the morning especially in the first trimester.
- Tiredness and fatigue
- Unusual cravings and aversions
- Swollen breasts
- Discomfort or pain in the back and pelvic region
- Persistent urination
There is a chance that these symptoms might get more severe if you are pregnant at 45. In her 40s, a woman has more bodily pains and discomforts in general. This makes the symptoms of pregnancy more acute than a woman in her mid-20s. However, this convention is not absolute. If you are fit and healthy in general, there is a chance that the symptoms are not severe, rather they are normal.
Suggestions for having a healthy pregnancy at 45
There are some things you can do that will increase the chances of having a completely normal and healthy pregnancy at 45. Some of these are listed below:
- Visit your doctor regularly when pregnant and abide by all the instructions and suggestions.
- Never miss any prenatal test or screening throughout your pregnancy.
- Take any medication only after talking to your doctor about it.
- Take a healthy pregnancy diet and eat well to ensure proper nutrition to yourself and the baby.
- Take all your prenatal vitamins without a miss at the prescribed time.
- Drink sufficient water and keep yourself hydrated.
- Quit smoking, drinking, and using drugs during your pregnancy.
- If the doctor suggests, gain the amount of weight required for a healthy pregnancy.
- Do some light workouts and exercises for at least half an hour every day.
- Stay alert and notice if you feel any symptoms of preeclampsia or any other complication.
- Get all the pregnancy vaccines as recommended by the doctor.
What are some complications that might occur if you are pregnant at 45?
Expecting a baby at a later age can increase some complications and risks. Following is a list of some of these risks if you are pregnant at 45.
- Development of preeclampsia.
- Development of gestational diabetes.
- Chances of developing placenta previa.
- Longer labor.
- Need for a caesarian.
- Experiencing preterm labor.
- Low birth weight of the baby.
- Chromosomal abnormalities in the baby.
- Loss of pregnancy by miscarriage.
- Pregnancy loss by a stillbirth.
- Need for an ectopic surgery.
When should you consult a doctor?
If you are pregnant at 45, you need to be extremely careful with any signs of complications. Call your doctor if you notice any of the following problems:
- High fever or chills.
- Burning sensation when you urinate.
- Vaginal bleeding.
- Painful cramps in the lower abdomen.
- Persistent nausea and vomiting.
- A sudden decrease in the movement of the baby.
- Persistent severe headache.
- Sudden swelling of face, hands, and fingers.
Despite the risks and complications, there is still a good chance of having a healthy pregnancy at 45. The chances of a normal and healthy pregnancy can be increased if your body is fit and healthy when you conceive. If you take proper care and precautions, there is plenty of chance of having a normal pregnancy and a healthy baby.
Consult Pristyn Care’s experts online for any queries you have about your pregnancy.