Many people have this question in mind – is banana good for constipation? Is banana good for constipation in babies? Does banana cause constipation? There is a lot of confusion and constipation is a common problem in day-to-day life for many people.
In this blog, we will know if banana causes constipation or banana relieves constipation and what is the right time to eat banana.
Bananas are rich in fiber
Banana is a high fiber fruit that is healthy for bacteria present in the gut. It provides fiber, magnesium and potassium, thereby meeting a lot of nutritional values to your health. They are easily available and convenient to eat. Fiber is highly recommended to keep the bowel movement smooth and for a proper digestive system. You must consume 30g of fiber each day for a healthy gut and one banana has 3 gm of fiber.
Note: Bananas are acidic in nature. Thus, do not consume it on an empty stomach. It may cause bowel problems. According to Ayurveda, one should not consume any fruit on an empty stomach.
Ripe or unripe bananas for constipation?
There are different types of bananas – ripe, semi-ripe and unripe bananas. Some people differentiate them with color – green, yellow and brown.
- Green bananas: When the bananas are green, they are unripe and contain too much starch that is difficult to digest which can further leave you constipated.
- Yellow bananas: When the banana ripens and turns yellow, it gets easy to digest and is rich in antioxidants. Ripe bananas contain soluble fiber making your digestive system smooth.
- Brown bananas: Now, the last stage of bananas where they start turning brown, they relieve constipation. They have the highest level of antioxidants, the soluble fiber absorbs water and your stool passes very easily.
How does banana help in constipation?
- Rich in fiber and provides significant minerals to the body.
- Banana contains potassium that also helps in relieving constipation.
- It absorbs water from the nutrients, making the bowel movement easy and smooth.
How to use banana for constipation relief?
- Eating a ripe banana helps: Eat 2 – 3 bananas a day to regulate bowel movements and relieve constipation.
- Banana and curd for constipation: Take one cup curd, one banana and half teaspoon of sugar for taste. Eat this mixture once a day during breakfast. Curd must not be too sour.
- Banana and peanut butter for constipation: Make sure you are not allergic to peanut or butter. Slice a ripe banana in a bowl and add 3-4 teaspoons of peanut butter. Have this mixture once a day after a meal.
Is banana good for constipation in babies?
Mashed bananas are good for babies after six months. You can mix it with other cereals for health benefits unless the child is allergic to any food. You can also add milk, water or curd to the mashed banana so that your baby can swallow it easily. But remember, start it with small quantities; maybe once in a day. If you see any discomfort in your child, consult your doctor.
Also read: Care for 6 months old constipated baby
Is banana shake good for constipation?
Banana shake is a controversial topic on the internet. Some people say milk and banana is not a combination to consume. According to some people, you must have milk and eat banana after 20 minutes of having milk. It may cause digestive problems. Whereas to some people it has served as a treatment for constipation. Well, there is no such research that proves either of them.
Bananas in constipation are good and feed healthy bacteria to the gut. The nutritional value of banana is well known across the world. Still, if you think it’s been long that you are unable to cure constipation, consult our doctors, it may be chronic constipation. Before this problem aggravates, consulting a doctor can help provide relief.
Also read: How Chronic Constipation Affects your Body
Also read: 10 Yoga poses for Chronic Constipation