Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a common identified sexual health-related problem that millions of men around the world face. It is a condition where a man is not able to keep with the erection of the penis.
There are various factors that contribute to frequent episodes of erectile dysfunction. Lifestyle, dietary habits, and the medications you take play a crucial role in the erectile issues.
Facing dysfunction with erection once in a few months is fine, but when the frequency increases or ED becomes regular, it is a matter of worry.
Here we will tell about the medicines that can cause erectile dysfunction. That’s not it, there are some simple yet amazing tips further also.
So, let’s fill you in with all the necessary information for your well being.
Medicines that can trigger episodes of erectile dysfunction are as follows:
Antidepressants usually work by increasing the amount of serotonin in the brain, which makes them feel less anxious. However, high amounts of serotonin can lead to reduced libido and thus create problems while achieving and maintaining erections. Excessive serotonin can also reduce dopamine levels and make the sexual arousal more difficult, eventually leading to erectile dysfunction.
It might come as a shock to you but certain medicines used to treat allergies can also interfere with your sexual life. Antihistamines like Ranitidine, Promethazine, Hydroxyzine etc. are very commonly associated with erectile dysfunction episodes in men. This happens because antihistamines block the action of a chemical compound called histamine. This chemical is involved in allergic reactions but in addition to this, histamine is also required for healthy and firm erections.
Tranquilizers, that are often employed for the treatment of anxiety, insomnia, and muscle spasms, also contribute to erectile problems in men. These drugs have sedative and muscle-relaxant effects which reduce sexual interest and sensation. Tranuqilizers may also interfere with testosterone production, thereby contributing to decreased libido, which in turn causes erectile dysfunction. (Also Read: Can lifestyle and psychological factors cause erectile dysfunction)
Diuretics is another class of medicines that can result in erectile dysfunction. Diuretics can hinder proper and healthy erections by reducing the force of blood flow to the penis. Diuretics are also known to deplete zinc levels in the body. Since zinc plays a crucial role in testosterone production, diuretics are often linked with erectile issues.
Chemotherapy and Hormonal Medicines
Chemotherapy and hormonal medicines used in the treatment of certain types of cancer can also cause erectile dysfunction in men. Chemotherapy and hormonal medicines often reduce testosterone levels in the body. This, in turn, results in decreased sexual drive and difficulties in achieving erections. Also, chemotherapy causes a lot of fatigue. This may also contribute to a reduced sexual desire and thus cause problems during erections.
Beta-blockers are a type of antiarrhythmic medicines that are prescribed for the treatment of abnormalities with the heart rate and rhythm. One of the very common side effects of taking beta-blockers is sexual dysfunction. This happens because beta-blockers lower the blood pressure. This leads to an insufficient supply of blood to the penis, and thus erectile dysfunction.
Therefore, if you have been facing problems with erections recently and you think that your prescription medicines are interfering with your sex life, discuss the issue with your doctor. Ask your doctors about any alternative medicines and if possible, get your medications switched.
If erectile dysfunction in your case is actually due to medications, you will notice significant improvements within 1-2 weeks of switching the medicines.
Tips to improve erectile dysfunction faster
- Stay active. If you are overweight, lose those extra kilos and stay healthy. Obesity is a major factor that can cause or aggravate a lot of sexual health issues.
- Perform regular exercise to improve blood circulation throughout the body. You can also try some yoga poses that help maintains overall physical and mental health. Doing so will also alleviate your stress and you will be able to cope up fast with erectile problems.
- Eat healthily. Include more fibrous and mineral-rich foods in your diet. Switch to more green leafy vegetables and boost your testosterone levels. Avoid junk and greasy foods as these can further add to your misery.
- If you are a smoker, ditch those cigarettes. Also, avoid excessive consumption of alcohol. Do it gradually and seek help. You don’t have to do it alone and you are not alone. Making gradual healthy choices in life will resolve most of your health issues. (Also Read: Smoking Causes Erectile Dysfunction)
- Get proper and sound sleep and try to manage your anxiety levels. It is the most neglected thing when we are all caught in the hustle-bustle of life. Do not let the stress and anxiety pile up and create problems for you.
Now that you are aware of the negative impacts of prolonged use of certain medicines, ensure that you do not rely too much on them. Shift to a healthier lifestyle and nutritious diet and witness health issues leaving your life fast.
And, if you feel that there is some underlying medical condition that is causing you erectile dysfunction, feel free to consult a doctor. You can reach out to us at Pristyn Care by just booking your online appointment. Worry not, your entire consultation will be private and convenient.
So, make the wise choice of seeking medical help now and let the hassles go away once and for all.