The Omeprazole 20 mg capsules are a type of medicine that treats certain illnesses in the stomach and esophagus. The doctor prescribes these capsules in order to get relief from heartburn, difficulty swallowing, and chronic cough.
The medicine contains an active ingredient, ‘omeprazole’. Moreover, it also belongs to a group of medicines known as ‘proton pump inhibitors’.
Uses of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
The Omeprazole 20 mg capsules is a medicine that treats various illnesses of the gastrointestinal tract by lowering the production of acid stomach.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
In this type of condition, the person suffers from acid reflux in which the contents of the stomach move up into the esophagus. The Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules can soothe symptoms such as burning sensation in the chest, sour or bitter taste at the back of the mouth, difficulty swallowing, or even breathing problems.
Ulcers in the upper part of the intestine and stomach
In the upper part of the intestine or stomach, ulcers can develop. For treating these ulcers, the doctor prescribes these medicines.
Sometimes ulcers can get infected with bacteria called ‘Helicobacter pylori’. In these circumstances, the doctor prescribes antibiotics.
Esophagitis is the inflammation of the esophagus due to stomach acid. Some of the common causes of esophagitis are acid reflux, side effects of certain medicines, viral/bacterial infections.
Zollinger- Ellison syndrome
This is a rare type of condition that develops in the digestive tract. Sometimes, tumors can also form in the digestive tract. The tumors can be both benign and malignant.
Price of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
The price of Omeprazole 20 mg capsules ranges from Rs. 24 to Rs. 38.50 in the Indian market.
|Average price of 10 tables of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules||Rs. 31.25|
Side effects of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules are generally safe to consume. There can be minor side effects that can occur in rare instances. Some of the common side effects that people have reported are-
- Abdominal pain
- Gas or flatulence
- Dizziness or Vertigo
- Upper respiratory infection
- Acid reflux
- Rash- lumpy or itchy
Some lesser reported side effects include-
- Allergic reaction such as swelling of the lips, tongue, throat
- Feeling agitated, confused or depressed
- Blurred vision
- Infection known as ‘thrush’ in the gut
- Problems in the liver
- Swelling of the feet and ankles
- Fracture due to osteoporosis
- Deficiency of granulocytes in the blood
- Loss of appetite
- Polyps in the gastrointestinal tract
- Hair loss
- Chronic inflammation in the stomach
- Change in taste
- Abnormal dreams
Dosage of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
The dosage of omeprazole 20 mg capsules should be followed exactly the doctor has prescribed. If you are not sure, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking these capsules.
Depending on the severity of the condition and the age of the patient, the doctor recommends the dosage of the medicine. The dosage generally includes the number of capsules one should take and the duration for which the patient should take the medicine.
Moreover, it is imperative that you should complete the whole course of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules. The medicine can be taken both with or without eating food. In addition to this, make sure that one takes the capsules only in the morning.
Remember, not to chew or crush the capsules as these contain coated pellets that prevent the medicine to be broken down by stomach acid.
- For treating symptoms such as heartburn and acid regurgitation, the doctor recommends the usual dose of 20 mg once a day for 4-8 weeks.
- To get relief from ulcers in the upper part of the intestine, the doctor prescribes 20 mg once a day for 2 weeks.
- For treating ulcers in the stomach, the usual dose is 20 mg once a day for 4 weeks.
- To prevent ulcers from developing again in the stomach and upper part of the intestine, the dosage ranges between 10-20 mg a day.
- For curing the condition- Helicobacter pylori– and preventing them in the future, the doctor usually recommends 20 mg capsules twice a day for a week.
- To curb overproduction of stomach acid due to the enlarging of the pancreas, the dose is 60 mg daily.
- For treating symptoms such as heartburn and acid regurgitation, the doctor recommends this medicine for children who are over 1 year of age and with a bodyweight of more than 10kg. The usual dose depends on the child’s weight.
- To cure the condition Helicobacter pylori, and prevent it in the future, the doctor usually recommends these 20 mg capsules for children aged over 4 years. In this case, also the doctor prescribes the dosage on the basis of the child’s weight.
Skipping a dose of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
If someone has forgotten to take a dose of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules, he/she can take it as soon as they remember it. However, if the gap between the missed dose and the next dose is short, skip it and take the next dose. This will eventually help to get back to the usual schedule of doses.
Interactions of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
As the Omeprazole 20 mg capsule is allopathic medicine, it can easily react with other medicines that you are taking. The other medicines, when combined with Omeprazole 20 mg capsule, can worsen the side effects of Omeprazole 20 mg capsules.
Not only the side effects but any underlying health issue can also aggravate if this medicine is taken without the doctor’s approval.
The Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules can interact with the following medicines. Hence, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you take any of the following-
- Blood-thinning capsules such as warfarin or other vitamin K blockers
- St. John’s wort
Warnings of Omeprazole 20 mg Capsules
It is a general precautionary measure that no medicine should be taken without proper consultation with the doctor.
Some of the things you should disclose to the doctor before taking this medicine are-
- Whether you are allergic to drugs that contain proton pump inhibitors such as pantoprazole, lansoprazole, rabeprazole, esomeprazole.
- Whether you are taking any medicine that contains nelfinavir
- If you are allergic to omeprazole or any other ingredients of the capsules
You should reach out to the doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms after taking Omeprazole 20 capsules-
- Sudden loss of weight without any reason
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Have stomach pain or indigestion
- Passing black stools
- Experience severe or persistent diarrhea
- Develop severe liver ailments