A bloating stomach can strike anytime and can be really embarrassing. The thought of passing gas at an inappropriate time and in front of people can be your worst fear. At times excessive gas and bloating can be very painful and uncomfortable. You can not say it a disease but a part of a normal digestion process. Before knowing the home remedy for gas, it is important to understand the cause. You cannot be running for a medicine everytime your stomach troubles you.
What are the causes of gas?
There are different ways why gas accumulates in the digestive system. They can be:
- It is either because while eating or drinking, you swallow the air that causes oxygen and nitrogen to enter your body.
- The other reason may be the emission of gases like hydrogen, methane or carbon dioxide while digesting food and accumulating in your stomach. These gases can cause a lot of discomfort.
- Many times, it also depends on what you eat regularly. High carb foods like beans, cabbage, chickpeas, and lentils or sugary fruit juices are not easily digested by the stomach.
- Eating spicy food, not chewing the food properly, stress, digestive disorder, bacterial infection and excessive drinking can be the cause of acidity.
All these causes lead to excessive gas and problems like belching, burping and discomfort. The best part is that a lot of kitchen ingredients can help you get rid of gas trouble at home. Here are some effective home remedies for gas with no side-effects.
Home remedy for gas
Your mother and grandmother keep outpouring their kitchen hacks that prove to be the best home remedy for gas troubles. Therefore, trust your loved ones and go for these home remedies.
Drinking enough water helps in proper bowel movements, prevent stomach-related problems. Hydration can also prevent constipation, which is the key cause of acidity. When a person is dehydrated, their stool becomes dry and hard. Drinking plenty of water keeps stool soft, helping it pass more easily through the colon.
Mild or severe gas troubles? Coconut water is nature’s drink with properties to treat stomach-related illness. A few glasses of coconut water will help soothe the stomach.
Buttermilk is an antidote to gas troubles. The reason why Indian meals are followed by chaas or buttermilk is, it helps in better digestion and absorbs food. It also reduces the possibility of acidity occurrence and keeps your gastrointestinal health in good condition.
Chamomile tea is a great choice for the stomach as it reduces the amount of acid present in the stomach. The tea also treats digestive issues, such as irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, and colic.
Peppermint tea is sometimes referred to as “the stomach healer” because it is known to soothe many gastrointestinal ailments, including stomach aches, stomach pains, stomach cramps, heartburn, gas/flatulence, indigestion and diarrhea, and to promote healthy digestion.
Lemons are a natural diuretic and a gentle laxative when added to warm water. Consuming lemon water can help reduce the amount of salt retained in the body and help with bloating. Just make sure you drink from the glass and not through a straw, so you don’t take in any extra air.
Jeera or cumin water
It is a magical drink when consumed on an empty stomach. It improves digestion, reduces gas production, treats acidity and heals ulcers.
Carom seeds or ajwain
Consuming carom seeds is the best natural remedy for indigestion problems, acidity and acid reflux problems. According to Ayurveda, ajwain, when consumed with a pinch of salt, mixed with warm water is quite helpful for indigestion and stomach pain.
Jaggery prevents constipation by aiding digestion. A lot of people prefer eating jaggery after a meal. It acts as a detox when mixed with cumin as it helps cleanse the liver by flushing out toxins from the body.
Cinnamon is good for indigestion, gas, bloating, upset stomach, and diarrhea. Due to its anti-inflammatory effect and anti-fungal properties, it really helps in gastrointestinal disorders.
Many opt for fennel seeds to get rid of excessive gas. Eating one spoonful fennel seeds can prevent gas. Another way is to crush fennel seed, add 2 cups of water and boil it. Strain and let it cool before drinking. Consume it after every meal. It is very helpful.
Home remedy for gas during pregnancy
Drink plenty of water
Staying hydrated will reduce the formation or accumulation of gas. Drinking a lot of water will prevent constipation which is also a major reason for acidity. It helps to pass the stool easily.
Avoid carbonated drinks
The sugary and artificially sweetened carbonated drinks can potentially cause gas problems.
Eat more fiber
For a pregnant woman, the doctors always ask them to gradually switch to fiber-rich content to prevent gas and bloating. Here are some tactics that a woman must follow to prevent a temporary increase in gas:
- Eating a small portion of fiber diet and give it sufficient time for digestion
- Chew properly for better digestion
- Increase liquid intake to soften stools
Wear loose clothes
Wear loose maternal clothes during the last stage of pregnancy as it may put pressure on the abdomen, building up gas.
Do not take stress
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is the result of stress-related. Pregnant women tend to get anxious too often and gulp down air which results in acidity.
Regular exercise is helpful in improving digestion and provides relief from constipation.
During pregnancy, increasing gas problem is common. Certain lifestyle and dietary changes can help acidity and constipation. If there is any persistent gas problem then consult a doctor.
This is how you can prevent accumulation of gas
Moreover, a few changes in your diet and lifestyle can bring relief from gas and bloating. Follow these preventive measures :
- Eat slowly
- Chew your food thoroughly
- Eat smaller meals, more frequently
- Sit up straight after a meal
- Take a walk after a meal
- Drink room temperature beverages
- Lose excess weight
What causes gas in a baby?
You feed the babies, change and get them burped, yet their blubbering does not stop. This can be very troubling for the parents to decode their language. Many infants when they suffer from gas problems show their discomfort either by twirling or crying. But what makes them do this?
- They cry a lot: Babies cry a lot which makes them swallow air. It is difficult to identify whether crying causes gas or gas causes crying.
- Babies do suffer constipation: Due to constipation, babies suffer from gas problems.
- Immature digestive system: For infants, their digestive system is learning to digest food. This results in gassy stomach.
- Virus: Sometimes it may be due to infection or virus.
- Food sensitivity: There are foods that do not suit certain kids. Due to food sensitivity, they can get gas.
New-born babies – Home remedy for gas
- Proper position while feeding is important: Keep the baby’s head higher than the stomach. Same goes for bottle feeding.
- Feed and burp rule: Prevent the child from gastric troubles by following this rule. Gently tap the back. this helps the milk to settle down.
- Distract the baby to stop their crying: Thr crying baby is more prone to gulp air. So, stop them by distracting.
- Mustard oil massage: Gently massage them with warm mustard oil to relieve from gas problems.
These are the signs when your baby shows he/she is going through some problem. Therefore, consult a pediatrician if the problem persists for long.
Acidity and gas is not a disease. Therefore, home remedy for gas works in most cases. Occasionally facing this problem is normal. But when gas continues to be a problem despite dietary adjustments and home remedies or over-the-counter treatment, we always recommend you to consult a doctor.