Prostate enlargement aka benign prostatic enlargement is a condition where the cells divide and multiply themselves abnormally in the prostate. This division increases the size of the prostate. It is not easy to treat prostate enlargement naturally. The common problem due to prostate enlargement can be annoying and discomforting, most commonly, urinary and sexual difficulties. The medical term is Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia(BPH).
There are some lifestyle changes and natural remedies that may help reduce the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Also, some herbal remedies combat prostate enlargement symptoms. Remember, if you want to go for the natural treatment for prostate enlargement, it is always good to talk to your doctor first.
Also Read: Prostate Problems Causes
Natural remedies for prostate enlargement
It is an herbal remedy that people are using for centuries to treat urinary problems. People use it as a natural remedy to treat enlarged prostate. It is usually safe but may cause headache or upset stomach.
Ryegrass pollen extract
It consists of three types of grass – rye, timothy and corn. It provides relief from prostate pain or swelling of the prostate. Some patients of enlarged prostate said that the frequency of urination had decreased during the night. But their long term effects are not yet known.
It comes from the bark of the plum tree in Africa that is a traditional medicine to treat urinary problems. It’s long-term safety is not yet known.
Reduce prostate enlargement naturally through lifestyle changes
- Hydrate your body well every day. Drink 2 liters of water daily.
- Maintain healthy body weight.
- Exercise regularly especially pelvic floor exercises.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Use the washroom every time, before leaving your house to avoid urinary leakage.
- Try not to drink anything two hours before sleep to avoid full or half-filled bladder.
- Do not take stress regarding the urge to urinate.
- Urethral massage may also be helpful by gently pressing the finger upwards from the base of the scrotum to squeeze out the left urine and prevent later leakages.
Foods that help reduce prostate enlargement
Here is the list of foods that may help reduce the associated symptoms of enlarged prostate:
- Fiber-rich foods – whole grains, legumes, beans, and dark, leafy greens
- Fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants– blueberries, raspberries, strawberries
- Foods rich in zinc – eggs, most types of seafood, and nuts
- Products that contain phytoestrogens – soy foods, chickpeas, alfalfa, and fava beans
- Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids – fish, salmon and some nuts and seeds, such as hemp and chia
There are a few items that you must avoid for a healthy prostate:
- Artificial sweeteners
- Carbonated drinks
- Red meat
- Oily, refined foods
- Low sodium
If these foods and lifestyle changes are not effective, the doctor may recommend surgery. Let us know the signs and symptoms which may depict a need for surgery.
Signs and symptoms of prostate enlargement
It mostly happens to men above 45 years of age. The reason is still unknown but it is believed that there is an imbalance in the hormones – estrogen and testosterone. As men grow older, these hormone levels tend to change that may trigger prostate cells to divide and grow abnormally. Here are the symptoms:
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Difficulty urinating
- Unable to empty the bladder completely in one go
- Pain while urinating
- Blood in urine
- Pain after ejaculation
- Urinary retention
Right treatment is important!
Natural treatment for prostate enlargement doesn’t need to be always effective and safe. Doctors may recommend medication or surgery depending upon the condition and severity of the prostate. Natural treatments do have side-effects. Therefore, consult a doctor if you notice the above symptoms of prostate enlargement. There are several surgical treatments for prostate enlargement that can help you recover faster and provide relief from prostate problem.