Uterine fibroids are a very common problem among women of reproductive age. These fibroids are the unusual muscular growth that can occur anywhere in the uterus. The condition of uterine fibroids can cause various discomforting symptoms that can make a female’s life miserable.
One of the most common symptoms of uterine fibroids involves intense back pain, heavy menstrual bleeding, spotting, and abdominal cramps. The severity of these symptoms depends upon the size and the number of uterine fibroids. (Also Read: What causes uterine fibroids?)
Why do uterine fibroids cause back pain?
One common question that pops up in the minds of many people is how and why uterine fibroids cause back pain? Let’s get clarity about this discomforting symptom of uterine fibroids.
There are different kinds of fibroids that can grow in the uterus. The fibroids that can grow in the wall of the uterus are called intramural fibroids, whereas the ones growing in the outside lining of the uterus are called subserosal fibroids. It is the subserosal fibroids that can lead to back pain. The back pain due to uterine fibroids can range from mild to severe. The intensity of the pain entirely depends upon the size, location, and a number of these subserosal fibroids.
Sometimes, these fibroids growing outside the uterus can grow so large that they protrude from the uterus to the spine. This condition, of course, creates unbearable back pain, so much so that even standing and walking can seem difficult. Immediate medical consultation is highly recommended in such cases of uterine fibroids. (Also Read: How do uterine fibroids affect pregnancy? )
In case a female is suffering from the fibroids that only grow in the uterine cavity, she may not face the problem of back pain. Thus, back pain is a common symptom but does not surface in each and every case of uterine fibroids.
Tips to get rid of back pain due to fibroids
Well, if you are dealing with the problem of uterine fibroids and tired of bearing the recurring back pain, here are simple tips for you:
- Heating pads or warm compression- Using heating pads provide immediate relief from the back pain due to uterine fibroids. It also imparts a soothing effect and helps in alleviating the heaviness. You can also warm compression while going through abdominal cramps due to uterine fibroids.
- Healthy dairy products– You should increase the consumption of milk, yogurt, and cheese. Make these dairy products an integral part of your regular diet to shrink the fibroids. As the fibroids start shrinking, the symptoms such as back pain also alleviate.
- Keep alcohol and smoking at bay– Smoking and drinking alcohol can aggravate the condition of uterine fibroids. This may lead to worsening of the back pain along with the other symptoms of uterine fibroids. Thus, staying away from these unhealthy habits is an effective way to deal with uterine fibroids.
- Release stress- Stress and anxiety can add up to the symptoms of uterine fibroids growing severe with time. Therefore, indulge in healthy practices such as yoga, meditation, and exercise to release stress from the body. Doing so will bring about wonderful changes in your overall health and vanish the troubles of uterine fibroids.
- Fiber and vitamin-rich diet- You must eat healthy foods that are rich in fiber and vitamins. Such foods help in shrinking uterine fibroids and therefore the symptoms become less troublesome. Have more fruits, whole grains, vegetables, and other plant-based proteins for the good health of your uterus.
- Cut down on salt and caffeine- Salt and caffeine are known to be dehydrating if you consume them excessively. The dehydrating effects can cause the uterine fibroids to grow severe and painful. Therefore, you should rather switch healthy and hydrating fluids to get fast relief from these fibroids.
Seeking medical help is a wise decision
If the back pain and other symptoms become severe and cause a lot of troubles, consulting a doctor becomes necessary. Otherwise, the condition can worsen and complications can arise.
Therefore, in order to avoid any further problems, receive the proper and timely treatments for fibroids.
A variety of treatment options are available for curing uterine fibroids. If the condition of fibroids in your case is not very serious, medications and procedures like hysterectomy can prove to be effective.
The surgical procedure of hysterectomy is required only in serious cases when none of the other treatments works. If your doctor suggests undergoing hysterectomy, it is better to opt for a laparoscopic hysterectomy procedure.
Laparoscopic hysterectomy for uterine fibroids
Laparoscopic Hysterectomy is presently one of the most technically advanced treatments available for uterine fibroids. The procedure is minimally invasive and the risk of postoperative complications is close to zero. The downtime after the procedure is short and the procedure is quite convenient.
If you are thinking of undergoing Hysterectomy, laparoscopic hysterectomy is the best option. For any queries, you can reach out to us at Pristyn Care. We are ready to resolve any doubts that you have.