The urethra is the part of the urinary tract to carry the urine to the bladder so that it can pass out of the body. Urethral stricture is a condition where scar tissue collects in the urethra. Urethral stricture is the result of an injury, trauma, infection, or inflammation of the urethra.
This reduces the flow of the urine through the urethra and gives rise to problematic symptoms.
The common symptoms of the urethral stricture include the following:
- Slow down of the urinary flow
- Pain while passing urine
- Retention of urine in the bladder
- Frequent urinary tract infections
- Discomfort and pain while ejaculation
Urethral stricture is more common in men in comparison to women. It is majorly because of the fact that urethra in males is longer, hence the chances of scarring are higher.
If you are also suffering from urethral stricture and are looking for natural ways to resolve it, this blog will help you with the useful information. Here, we will see the benefits of yoga for urethral stricture.
We all are aware of the countless health benefits of yoga. When it comes to urethral stricture problems, yoga can improve it too.
Here are all the simple yet most effective yoga poses that you must regularly practice to witness amazing results within a few weeks only.
Vajrasana (Thunderbolt Pose)
Vajrasana is one of the best yoga asanas to perform if you are dealing with urethral stricture. Vajrasana enhances the flow of blood to the pelvic region and thus alleviates the discomforts associated with urethral strictures. It also improves the functioning of the abdominal organs and thus brings about significant improvement in urethral strictures and other urinary problems.
Steps to perform vajrasana:
- Start by kneeling on the floor.
- Next sit on your heels. Your buttocks should rest on your heels and your thighs should rest on your calves.
- Sit straight. Your head should be straight and your palms should be on your knees.
- Maintain this position for 10-15 minutes.
Mandukasana (Frog Pose)
Mandukasana is another great yoga asana for urethral strictures. It tones the abdominal region and thus enhances the functioning of all the abdominal as well as urinary system organs. It also improves the blood circulation to the internal organs and thus helps them perform optimally.
Steps to perform mandukasana:
- Sit in the Vajrasana pose.
- Place your left palm on the naval region and your right palm on the left.
- Inhale deeply and while exhaling, bend forward.
- Hold the position for as long as you can.
Ardha Kurmasana (Half Tortoise Pose)
Ardha Kurmasana works amazingly in stimulating the organs of the digestive, respiratory and urinary systems. It enhances blood circulation throughout the body and also strengthens the lower body, thereby providing relief from the symptoms of urethral strictures.
Steps to perform ardha kurmasana:
- Start by sitting in the Vajrasana position.
- Inhale, bring your arms above your head and intertwine your thumbs together in a position such that your biceps are over your ears.
- Keep your back straight and stretch.
- While exhaling, bend forwards until your little fingers and your forehead touch the yoga mat.
- Maintain the position for about 20 seconds.
Baddha Konasana (Bound Angle Pose)
Baddha Konasana is a yoga pose that improves the functioning of the overall urinary system.It stimulates the kidneys and bladder and improves blood circulation throughout the body. It also strengthens the muscles in the pelvic and genital-urinary regions and thus relieves the symptoms of urethral strictures.
Steps to perform baddha konasana:
- Sit on the yoga mat with your legs out in front of you.
- Bring the soles of your feet together. Your knees should move outwards.
- Hold your ankles, stretch your spine and slowly lean your chest forward.
- Hold for about 8-10 breaths.
Setu Bandhasana (Bridge Pose)
Setu Bandhasana has a wide range of benefits relating to the digestive and urinary systems. It strengthens the muscles of the lower back and over time, enhances the blood circulation throughout the body, thereby helping the optimal functioning of the internal organs.
Steps to perform setu bandhasana:
- Lie on your back.
- Draw your feet inwards towards your buttocks, keeping them parallel to each other.
- Inhale, and lift your back up. Your chin should be touching your chest and should be locked.
- Push your hands so as to list your torso higher.
- Maintain the posture for about a minute and breathe slowly.
Padmasana (Lotus Pose)
Padmasana is a simple yoga pose with a variety of benefits. It improves blood circulation throughout the body and strengthens the pelvic muscles. It also enhances and stimulates the proper functioning of the bladder and other abdominal organs.
Steps to perform padmasana:
- Sit on a yoga mat with your spine erect and your legs stretched out in the front.
- Bend the right knee and place it on the left thigh.
- Bend the left knee and place it on the right thigh.
- Place your hands in the mudra position and keep your back erect.
- Maintain the posture for as long as you can.
However, before performing any of the above-mentioned yoga asanas, it is recommended to discuss with your doctor. Also, if any of the yoga exercises is discomforting, discontinue the exercise otherwise it may lead to the aggravation of the problem.
A point to remember- Yoga is certainly helpful but is definitely not a replacement for medical treatment. Therefore, as soon as the symptoms of urethral strictures start to arise, get in touch with a specialist doctor. Get proper diagnosis done and then receive proper treatment.
The medical treatments available to cure urethral stricture
Majorly, there are two different surgical procedures for the treatment of urethral strictures- Urethroplasty and Endoscopic Urethrotomy. Urethroplasty is the conventional procedure whereas endoscopic urethrotomy is the modern procedure.
Urethroplasty for Urethral Strictures
Urethroplasty is a surgical procedure that treats urethral strictures by making the urethra wider.
There are two types of urethroplasty procedures available:
- Excision Urethroplasty (Performed for small strictures)
- Graft Urethroplasty (Performed for large stricture)
In excision urethroplasty, the surgeon removes the scar tissues from the urethra and then reconnects the loose ends of the urethra. On the other hand, in graft urethroplasty, after the removal of the scar tissue, the surgeon uses graft tissues from the mouth for the reconstruction of the urethra. This prevents the shortening of the urethra and thus makes the procedure absolutely safe.
The Modern Endoscopic Urethrotomy procedure
In endoscopic urethrotomy, the surgeon inserts a small tube-like device into the urethra. The device is called a cystoscope and helps the surgeon look for the strictures. Once the stricture is found, the surgeon passes small pieces of equipment through the cystoscope. Using these instruments, the surgeon removes or vaporizes the urethral stricture.
Endoscopic urethrotomy is an advanced and minimally invasive procedure that does not involve any major cuts or scars. It treats the urethral strictures permanently, offers a speedy recovery and has a high success rate. The risk of infections and complications is nil and thus, it is an absolutely safe procedure.
Visit Pristyn Care for the minimally invasive treatment of urethral stricture
Pristyn Care offers the modern endoscopic urethrotomy procedure. We have a team of highly skilled surgeons who can perform the procedure with great precision. So if you are dealing with urethral strictures, you can book your appointment with one of our specialist doctors.
The Final Note
Urethral strictures can definitely be very discomforting and over time, they can grow worse and disrupt your daily life tasks. Therefore, it is better to get them treated as soon as possible. Along with medical treatment, make sure to adopt a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle. These would go a long way in making the treatment procedure a lot easier for you.
If you are dealing with the symptoms of urethral strictures and are searching for a reliable place for treatment, you can contact us at Pristyn Care. So, just book your online appointment with us now and visit the nearby Pristyn Care for the most comfortable consultation experience.