Infertility in men is one of the reasons that stress them out and may even cause emotional trouble between the couple. Sometimes, infertility may even lead to mental problems such as anxiety and depression, and even vice versa is possible. Erectile dysfunction is a major problem that impacts fertility in males. It is the inability of a man to either achieve an erection or sustain the erection of the penis. (Also Read: What Are the Types of Male Infertility? )
This is where the role of yoga as a natural remedy to improve male fertility becomes crucial. Yoga poses not only improves the physical factors causing fertility problems but also relieves stress and anxiety.
Usually, low production and abnormality in the functioning of sperms are the major factors resulting in male infertility. Sedentary mode of lifestyle and unhealthy eating choices also majorly contribute to fertility problems in males. Let’s look at the yoga poses that improve male fertility by dealing with the underlying causes.
Top 10 yoga poses to improve male fertility
- Setubaddhasana (Bridge Pose)- Bridge pose boosts the blood circulation to the pelvic floor. It also stimulates better mobility of the sperms.
To perform the Bridge Pose properly:
First of all, lie down straight on your back and bring your heels just near your hips. Then, gradually begin to raise the pelvis while keeping the back and the shoulders on the ground only. Keep taking deep breaths and retain the bridge pose for as long as you can.
- Halasana (Plough Pose)- Plough pose enhances the sperm count in the body and increases their mobility also.
To perform the Plough Pose properly:
Lie down on the back, keep your palms beside your body on the floor. Now, start lifting the legs so that they form a right angle with the body. Keep your hips in touch with the floor only and lift it after taking a few deep breaths only. Try to touch the floor behind the head and curl the toes.
- Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)- Dhanurasana increases the sperm count in the body and boosts the blood circulation to the penis.
To perform Bow Pose properly:
To hit the bow pose right, lie down on your belly. Start raising and bending the knees behind the back. And, try to reach out to the ankles as you start lifting the hips and the chest from the floor. Meanwhile, also move your neck backward and retain the pose for a few seconds.
- Naukasana (Boat Pose)- The Boat pose improves the level of testosterone in males. This yoga pose builds up the muscles of the pelvic floor. Hence, boat pose helps in improving male fertility by boosting the blood flow to the penis.
To perform Boat Pose correctly:
Lie on your back and keep the arms on your side. Start breathing deep and raise the chest from the floor on exhaling. Now, start stretching your arms and lift the legs. Also, remember that your body must remain in a straight line. Try and retain boat pose for as long as you can and then gradually release it.
- Ardh Matsyendrasana (Half Lord of the fishes pose)- This yoga pose improves male fertility by increasing the sperm count. This pose also makes the body more flexible.
To perform Ardh Matsyendrasana correctly:
Stretch out your legs in front as you sit on the floor. Raise the right leg and place it towards the left side of your left knee. Move the body towards your right and try to hold the right ankle with the left hand. Now, start bending the right hand behind the back. Try and stretch your arm away from the body as much as you can.
- Siddasana (Perfect Pose)- This yoga pose is quite simple yet effective in improving male fertility. It enhances blood circulation to the penis and helps in combating erectile dysfunction.
To perform Perfect Pose correctly:
Sit with your spine erect and stretch out the legs in your front. Then, start to cross the left leg at the knee and place the left foot in a way that it is under the right thigh. Now, follow similar steps with your right leg. It will make sure that your right heel is in touch with the pubic bone.
You can stay in the perfect pose for as long as you can. Make sure that your focus is on taking regular deep breaths.
- Padmasana (Lotus Pose)– Lotus pose is quite simple and boosts the muscles of the pelvis and the lower body. This in effect increases fertility in males.
To perform Lotus Pose correctly
Sit with your legs crossed and keep the spine straight. Raise one leg to keep the ankle just near the hip. Repeat the same with the other leg. Stay in this pose and keep breathing deep.
- Agnisaar Kriya- This yoga pose is quite beneficial for maintaining the overall health of your sperms.
To perform Agnisar Kriya:
Stand with your spine erect and maintain some distance between your legs. Keep your hands on the knees and as you start exhaling deeply, pull in the stomach. Hold your breath for a few seconds after exhaling. Release the pull on the stomach as you start breathing in. Repeat this cycle for 5-10 minutes every day.
- Uttanapadasana (Raised leg pose)- This yoga pose helps immensely in boosting male fertility. Raised leg pose stimulates the blood flow to the reproductive organs and gives them a boost. It is especially beneficial in the cases of erectile dysfunction, which is a major fertility problem in males.
To perform Raised Leg Pose correctly:
Lie on your back and let your hands rest on the side. Make sure that you keep the legs joined together. Lift your legs while inhaling deeply. Also, observe that you lift your legs in such a way that it either makes a 30 or 60-degree angle with the rest of your body. Retain this yoga pose for as long as you can. And, also lift your head off the ground to strike the right pose. To boost fertility, males should perform uttanapadasana every day.
- Pranayama- Pranayama alleviates stress and anxiety, which contribute majorly to fertility problems.
To perform Pranayama:
There are a lot of ways to perform pranayama. The simplest way to perform pranayama is in a sitting position. Sit with your legs folded and spine straight. Pranayama is a breathing exercise that calms down your mind and releases tension from the body. Place your thumb to cover one of the nostrils and inhale with the other. Now, cover the other nostril with the index finger and exhale with the other one. Do pranayama every day to improve your fertility.
These are the 10 best yoga poses that a man must perform regularly to boost fertility. And, along with following this healthy routine of yoga, you should reach out to a specialist doctor to discuss the problems related to your fertility. Make sure that you keep a proactive approach towards your health so that the symptoms of infertility do not grow severe with time. \