Age-old disease and body complications never ceased to be our companions. Despite many allopathic treatments, heavy doses of medicines and so much spending in consultation have found a new eradication way by the means of Shalya Tantra and Ayurveda.
As we are approaching complicated lifestyles and hectic schedules day by day, issues like stress and anxiety are piling up in our mind and body. We sometimes get clueless as to how to get rid of numerous health complications. Our fragile body is facing all this, in the humdrum of reaching the pinnacle of glory and success. But then someone suggests to us about Shalya Tantra and Ayurveda and suddenly life seems sorted; promising a healthy mind and body.
Voila!! A time immemorial way to treat diseases and health issues is very recommended by everyone for everyone. Children, young and aged- all age slots are appreciating the benefits of Shalya tantra and Ayurveda as it helps them to completely root out the complication they are suffering from.
So, this article is all about discussing Shalya Tantra (Surgery) and Ayurveda as medical tools to treat any kind of illness and health complications.
Ayurveda’s basic gist is that every person is made up of five basic elements- space, air, fire, water and earth. The combination of these elements controls your body functioning. The branch of Ayurveda believes that a person suffers some health complications when the balance of these five elements is disrupted.
Some important aspects related to Ayurveda:
- It is a discovery of India.
- Its origin lies 3000 years ago.
- Believes in a delicate balance between the mind, spirit and body.
- Its main goal is not to fight disease in general but to promote good health after all.
- It’s considered a form of complementary and alternative medicine in the USA.
- Aims at finding reasons causing the ailment in body and focuses on rooting out the same with Ayurvedic medicines.
- Includes herbal medicines, herbal therapies, oil treatments, steam therapies, detoxification to improve overall wellness.
Shalya Tantra (surgery in Ayurveda)
Shalya tantra is a diverse branch of Ayurveda that involves tools and instruments to eradicate problems from the body that is causing trouble and aggravating the disease. So, in other words, it’s surgery in Ayurveda. ‘Shalya’ is the thing causing discomfort to the mind and body. ‘Tantra’ is the tool. This branch of ancient Indian surgery describes in detail the pre-operative procedures, post-operative procedures and anesthesia.
Some important aspects related to Shalya Tantra:
- This branch has pioneered the modern concepts of surgery.
- It’s a very sophisticated method of surgery which removes an irritating factor from the body.
- This treatment gives faster relief to the person suffering from complications.
- It’s a great aid that comes to the final rescue when the medication fails to cure the problem.
- It still is the most preferred method over others in Ayurveda.
- Shalya Tantra describes the types of bandages, blunt instruments, stitches and even anesthesia.
- It is also known as Sushruta Samhita that is regarded as ‘The Golden Age of Surgery’.
Here’s a table depicting a general comparison between two terms:
|Doesn’t include rip tear||Includes rip tear|
|Includes medication||Includes surgery and medication|
|Removal of factors causing ailment||Removal of extraneous substance|
|Includes Ayurvedic medicines||Includes Tantra (tools and instruments)|
Ayurveda and Shalya Tantra have their place and advantages for a history of thousands of years. They have miraculously treated the age-old diseases and health complications that people are suffering from. Ayurveda might take time to treat a person completely whereas Shalya Tantra, i.e., ayurvedic surgery that includes ripping tear to eradicate the trouble-causing factor from the body is the most preferred by the people. Shalya Tantra principles and basic knowledge can still be seen in modern medicines and procedures.
Here’s a case study to explain the importance of Shalya Tantra in today’s era:
A 35 years old man who was a clerk in a bank had constant complains of watery discharge from an opening at left buttock near mid gluteal cleft for 2 years with occasional mild pain, discomfort and terrible itching at the lower back region. This patient had some abscess surgery at the site opening 2 years back. He took antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medicines from a doctor for 7 days and got relief from the condition. But gradually he developed this discussed condition later on near gluteal cleft at the left buttock. He did not have any history of painful defecation, bleeding, mucus or any kind of discharge through the anus.
With the first examination, it was discovered that the patient was hairy and had 2 cm lateral to mid gluteal cleft at the left buttock region with a good amount of hair nearby. All other routine investigations were ruled out- BP, blood sugar, blood urea, ECG, etc. were in normal limits and HIV, etc. were non-reactive to the patient.
Preoperative and operative procedure
Sodium phosphate was given in the early morning on the day to be operated and after proper bowel clean up the patient was taken to the recovery room for several injections. Thereafter local anesthesia with 2% xylocaine was infiltrated nearby opening. With a cut in the affected area, the bulk of the hair was expelled out and cleaning was done with normal saline.
In this way, with a minimal invasive Kshar sutra treatment (done with a linen thread which is properly coated with medicine) the problem was cured. The methods of treatment were safe, sure and cost-effective assuring speedy recovery. The patient was later advised ayurvedic medicines (like Triphala guggul, septilin and isabgol husk) to follow till 7-15 days.
In modern times, when people are resorting to the old methods again because when allopathy fails and creates other side effects, Ayurveda becomes the harness for a drowning person. Our lifestyles have drastically changed, inviting many new health complications that were never heard of. These require a lot of energy, time and money investment. Hence, we expect some output that should not be zero. Ayurveda mainly heals energy dysfunctions. There’s a huge range of ayurvedic medicines that cure many health issues. Some of which are as follows:
- Joint problems like arthritis, spondylitis, and gout.
- Movement disorders like paralysis, consequences from brain apoplexy.
- Dermatological diseases like hair fall, eczema, etc.
- Psychological disorders like depression, insomnia, anxiety.
- Children’s diseases like lower immunity, cold and flu, etc.
- Women fertility issues which include treatments of sterility, cysts, irregular period.
- Respiratory diseases like asthma, cough, and cold allergy.
In case, someone is not benefited by the ayurvedic medicinal treatments, he/she can resort to Shalya Tantra which would be a surgery conducted to root out and eradicate the main cause causing the dysfunction and trouble.
These scientific revolutions and inventions which have ultimately made us blindly dependent on them may not always serve the purpose and suit every body type. In that case, when the person tries the whole nine yards for getting the proper and suitable treatment, Shalya Tantra might prove to be of great value and provide complete relief.
Disclaimer: The sole purpose of this blog is to share information about Ayurveda. Pristyn Care does not provide any Ayurveda treatment and suggests you to consult a doctor to seek medical attention.