Love might often put you under some health risk if symptoms and signs are ignored. Yes! We are here talking about STD- Sexually Transmitted Diseases.
STDs are infections that are caused due to sexual contact. The carrier might be bacteria, viruses or parasites. Many people around the world suffer from STDs despite continuous efforts for prevention and control are being carried out in the field of human research and technological advancements.
The basic explanation of STD: A Sexually Transmitted Disease that causes uncomfortable symptoms like discharge, sores, itchiness, and pain.
Some commonly heard STDs are:
- HIV causing AIDS: Interferes with the body’s ability to fight infections.
- Genital herpes: Marked by genital pain and sores.
- Human papillomavirus infection: Causes warts in various body parts.
- Gonorrhea: Bacterial infection that might cause infertility.
- Syphilis: Painless sore turning into a bacterial infection.
- Chlamydia: No symptoms. Sometimes genital discharge.
Do You Know: Vaginal changes when you catch an STD
Home remedies to get relief from STD:
Some easy home remedies that are quite effective in soothing the discomforts caused by STD and boosting the overall immunity are as follows:
- Aloe Vera:Aloe Vera has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities with a soothing effect when applied directly over the skin. It also helps boost immunity when consumed in raw form. There is evidence of its benefits for those with syphilis. It helped calm the wound, scar, and irritation caused by the infection.
- Garlic: Garlic has prebiotic effects and traits which means it will help in boosting your overall immune system and health by helping good bacteria thrive and balancing your gut flora. It also helps inhibit the parasite growth and in turn, helps you fight STD infections better.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an evergreen shrub that grows in India and is best known for its anti-inflammatory and immune-boosting qualities. It is easily available in the market in the powdered form, capsule form or liquid extract.
- Yogurt: An increase of yogurt intake can help a lot with the prevention of urinary tract infections which are again a major cause of STDs. Yogurt contains good bacteria that can boost up your immune health.
- Neem: Neem is considered as a proper Ayurveda remedy that has antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Due to its antimicrobial properties, neem oil can provide relief from itchiness and other STD symptoms. (Also Read: Vaginal Itching – Causes, Treatment & Prevention)
- Lemon balm:
Lemon has the potential to inhibit infections because it is a topical microbicide. It soothes irritated skin and provides relief from rashes. Herbal tea with lemon balm might also work as an immune-boosting remedy. Lemon balm extracts have significantly proven beneficial against HIV- 1.
Apart from these home remedies, one also needs to understand that lifestyle changes that form the major part and play a vital role in eliminating unwanted risks and infections. It’s all about routine and regularity that should be kept in mind before changing lifestyle slowly which aids in improving physical and mental health.
Easy lifestyle changes while dealing with STDs/Preventions:
- Use condoms
It’s better to use a condom every time you have anal, vaginal or oral sex. The use of a male latex condom is highly effective in preventing STDs.
To prevent Hepatitis B and HPV, vaccines are considered the safest and effective. So go and have the vaccine shots as per doctor’s guidance.
- Reduce the number of sex partners
In case you have more than one sex partner, you both must get tested and should share each other’s test reports with each other to shred every grain of doubt and fear.
- Quit smoking
People who smoke a lot are at a higher risk of having HIV. And smokers who already have HIV observe aggravated symptoms like dizziness and coughing more than the people who do not smoke.
- Exercise and stay fit
Being physically active will weed out most of the symptoms and signs of STD. It is observed that exercising improves your outlook, your mood and overall quality of life.
- Stop illicit use of drugs
Seek the treatment for your addiction if you are an addict of cocaine, heroin or meth. Sharing needles to consume such drugs promote spreading hepatitis, and AIDS.
- Eat healthy/Have a nutritious diet
Lot of fresh fruits and vegetables will help a lot if someone has HIV. A balanced and nutritious diet will help prevent malnutrition which is common with HIV patients. Cut fried foods and sugary drinks from your diet as much as you can.
These were some remedies and lifestyle changes that if incorporated might help a lot with STD and sexual infections. However, it is always advisable to see a doctor regularly if you have any kind of genital infection or any threat. It’s important for you and your partner to sit and talk regarding the safety measures and precautions with your sex life and intercourse. One should not be shy and embarrassed because of STDs, rather you must be confident, aware and informed about the same.
Make sure you and your partner get regular checkups and diagnosis with STD tests. Remember, Prevention is always better than cure! And some diseases just crawl stealthily without any hint while you think you are having a great sex life. So medical intervention and suggestions are always needed when it comes to the health and safety of everyone in every regard.
Stay aware! Use protection! Maintain hygiene! That’s all it takes to prevent STDs in our utmost capacities.